bumps?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dr961
Super Bully

bumps?

Postby dr961 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:09 pm

One of my dogs developed a bump on her hip about a month ago, and now it looks like she's getting another one on her opposite side by her loin. At first I thought is was a bug bite, as it's about the size of a mosquito bite, but it isn't going away. The first one is a bit under 1/4" in diameter, hard, and you can pick it up by pinching up the skin. The dog doesn't seem bothered by it but occasionally bites at it. It doesn't seem to hurt at all, but makes the hair stick up.

I took her to the vet and he gave me some ointment (Animax) to put on it, but said he wasn't sure if it was a bug bite or a lipoma (benign skin thing). Now that she seems to be getting another one, I'm really wondering. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:17 pm

Loki got covered in tiny bumps like that when she was younger. The cause was unknown, but the vet suspected a bug bite or sting that we couldn't locate. (Which fits since wasps were building a nest in a car we had down for repairs on our patio. Plus, her mouth had been swollen just prior to the bumps erupting.) She was miserable and very itchy. They went away completely after a few days being treated by a steroid of some type from the vet.

She still gets these small bumps every now and then, just not the massive, body-wide infection she had before. I think they're caused by either insect bites or contact with the poison ivy we have growing in our backyard. If its just a few bumps that don't stick around for long, I wouldn't worry.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:43 pm

Vicki had the same thing, it was benign. The vet told me to watch it for four weeks, and if it didn't go down or if it got larger, he would aspirate. It left in a couple weeks on it's own. Terriers and Boxers are prone to these benign tumors, but it pays to keep an eye on them.

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:27 pm

thanks for the replies. These bumps are really wierd in that the new one seems to have a small bloody speck in the center of it, just like a mosquito bite that someone has scratched. But the original bump has been there for almost a month and isn't getting any smaller.

Whaterver, it's always something, but at least these bumps don't seem to bother the dog, except when I put ointment on them, then of course she licks it off!

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:47 am

Tiny gets these on her thighs and sometimes around her rear. The first one was almost in the exact same spot where she got an injection, so I thought it might be from that. Her allergies were really bad in September and she got a bunch of those, along with little bumps that turned into scabs quickly on her trunk. The vet said those lumps can be common in pits and he sees them quite often. They usually start as a lump, then start to dry up and scab. Tiny becomes completely bald in the spot during that time. They heal up on their own and the hair grows back in a month or two.

Return to “Health Issues”