Dremeling

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Dremeling

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:29 pm

Does anyone use mineral oil or vaseline to coat their dogs nails before they dremmel?
I thought it would be a good idea if it will keep the nail dust/smell down to a minimum.
We have been working on/building up to the the dremel for a while now, just got to the point today where I can actually do her nails.
I only did two today and do not want to push her yet, as she is now accepting it with a little bit of curosity.

PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:31 pm

What did you do to build up to her letting you clip two nails? I'm having trouble with the clipping.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:44 pm

Loki jumped out of her fur the first time a Dremel touched her nails. Funny though, she's more amenable to me clipping them now. I guess because she doesn't like the alternative, LOL.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:55 pm

the dremel files/grinds them down, it doesn't clip them
My dog was fine with the clipping until she was quicked, then we had problems.
So, I bought a dremel and started a very lengthy process.
I first got the dremel out of the box. let her smell it and set it on the floor. everytime she touched it she got a treat and high prasise. did this for about two weeks
then I would get it out, let her see it, then turned it on for a split second, then she got a treat, did this again for about 2 weeks
next, I let it run longer and set it down on her level, treat, high prasie
then I would turn it on., she comes running as soon as she hears it at this point for her treat and praise
next, she had to sit, I turn it on and moved it clsoe to her foot while it was running on low, but did not touch her yet with it, treat/prasie
finally, turn it on, she runs in, I hold her foot and let the dremel (without the sander) touch a toe, treat/prasie
finally worked up to touching each toe with it, treat/prasie (just the actually tool, not the sander, so she could get used to feeling the vibration))
went back to basics, just turned it on and she runs in for treat/prasie
finally, worked up to turning it on, and barely touch each toe with it
today actually sanded one nail, stopped and treated/prasied
went back about half hour later and did a second nail, treat/prasie and stipped for the dday
It has taken me months to get to this point, I did not want to rush it and have her afraid.
As soon as she hears the motor running, she runs in with her happy wiggle butt for her treats now.
It is far easier to train very, very slowly, then to rush and have to undo a mistake.
Anytime you are trying to introduce a new technigue, go slower then you think you should be going, if your dog becomes leary or afraid, then back up a step and try from there. I find if your dog is afraid, then you probably did rush it.
Break everything into increments and it will usually work fine, as long as you go slowly.

PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:50 pm

Thanks!

I had the same problem with Popeye after quicking him, and I think you just helped me solve the issue.

pblove wrote:the dremel files/grinds them down, it doesn't clip them
My dog was fine with the clipping until she was quicked, then we had problems.
<snip>
Break everything into increments and it will usually work fine, as long as you go slowly.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:05 pm

good, I hope it works out for you and your baby boy!

Shattering Glass

Postby Shattering Glass » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:28 pm

Since my dog is really good for her nails, I cut them as short as I can with the nail clippers first, then use the dremel to get them even shorter and to shape the nail. I've never heard of using anything to cut down on the awful smell and dust, worth a try though.

lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lucydog » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:47 pm

What setting do you use your dremel on?
I have always clipped, but Loretta has mostly black nails and it freaks me out because I cannot see the quick. We are thinking of trying the dremel.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:54 pm

I have only use it today, on two nails, on low setting.
My dog has mostly black nails too, yet another reason why I want to use the dremel instead of clipping.
It will seal them if you do go too short.
I got mine from the Ace Hardware store on sale plus rebate.
It is the Multi-Pro Cordless, after the rebate it was only $19.00
I did see some in the DRS Foster and Smith Catalogue just a basic dremel for dogs nails, last week .

PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:37 am

CLICK ME!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:02 am

there you go, go for it!

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:26 pm

My dog hates clipping, tolerates dremel. Since i feed him yummy liver while I dremel, its to the point when I bring it out he immediately jumps onto the couch and lays down!

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:30 pm

I read somewhere about putting Vaseline on their nails once you have filed them down, but I don't think it would help with that yucky smell. I love the dremel though. I have the Oster Nail Grinder kit.

Return to “Health Issues”