A neutered pit bull is a really sad...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
zack014
Adolescent Bully

A neutered pit bull is a really sad...

Postby zack014 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:11 pm

sight when he is recovering from his surgery. roflmao
He has looked so pathetic all day, it just breaks my heart! No tail waggles, he hobbles like an old man, his eyes are quite puffy, and last but not least, he stinks (not quite sure what the odor is or where it came from)! Has anyone else's male had the eye puffiness or the stinkiness...those were the only two things I wasn't really prepared for.
Thank goodness this is a one time deal and it will be so worth it in the long run!!!! YEA Lex for being a brave, strong pupper even though you feel :p !!!!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:33 pm

I never had one stink or have puffy eyes?
Maybe he peed on himself in rcovery?
or coudl be hsi anal gladns leaked
is it a rotten, string fishy smell?
could be he is allergic to the tape they used to hold his eyes closed while he was under?
he will be a lot perkier tomorrow though. but don't panc if he gets some swelling.
the swelling will go down faster if he is able to move/walk around too
Poor little guy, but you did a good thing for him, he will never miss those balls. :tongue:

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:15 am

I've noticed a general yucky smell when bringing my pets home from surgeries. They basically smell like the vets office, really antiseptic or whatever.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:56 am

Darla excudes nasty smells (to me at least) every time she given something internally Advantage is the worst to me, her spay she smelt and we gave her sponge baths to get rid of it, making sure not to wet the incision...

Speaking of smells you should smell a MAN after a nueter it's not much better! roflmao

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:17 pm

Our dogs all had that icky smell after surgeries---
The vet tech told me that it has to do with the dog excreting the anesthetic out through the skin. :dunno:

We just waited until they could have baths and scrubbed the stinkiness away. Baby wipes work good until they can have baths too.

zack014
Adolescent Bully

Postby zack014 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:51 pm

The smell has receded quite a bit today...the anesthetic thing makes sense to me in combination with the general vet office smell. Boy, it was awful! I am glad though that we got finally got it done! He seems much better today, now the challenge will be keeping him "quiet" for the next ten days!

Peerless
Matured Bully

Postby Peerless » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:59 pm

that's the hard part. peerless was jumping off the walls the min. we brought him home. i didn't know what to do to keep him from running around the house. we just didn't encourage play at all and had to take his toys like balls away from him so he wouldn't chase them. find him a nice chew toy so that he can just lay in one place and play if you can get him to sit still. good luck.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:19 pm

The stink will be gone by tomorrow or the next day. It's the anesthetic. Their breath will smell, their urine, etc.

Bentley's eyes were puffy too, I think they taped them shut cuz they had a gel around them...........

loveAPBTloyalty

Postby loveAPBTloyalty » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:05 pm

In order to keep the eyes from becoming dry and anything getting in them during surgery they stick eye lubricant in them. They should not tape eyes shut as this can cause problems. Imagine pulling tape off your arm, especially with their fur getting stuck in it. Very uncomfortable.

Sometimes they can have an irritation from this lubricant gel. Although if it does not receed in a day or two please go back to the vet. Something else may be wrong.

Indeed keeping a dog quiet after surgery is difficult, but must be done to prevent a hernia from occuring.

As far as the smell- I have never heard of that in all my years working as a Vet Tech.

Good Luck on recovery!

Return to “Health Issues”