Bordetella

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Bordetella

Postby Red » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:07 pm

My Ice got kennel cought, I guess brought home by the two dogs I boarded up in Oakland for the BadRap conference.
They were boarded in the middle of October and were vaccinated for bordetella prior that time and they seem fine.Ice and Toby weren't vaccinated cause I hate to over vaccinate unless there is a serious reason.Ice's symptoms showed up only 3 days ago.The first day I heard her coughing I thought she had something stick in her thorat and she was gagging like she was trying to get it out.Then on the second day I thought of kennel cough and the following day (this saturday) I took her in first thing in the morning.She got antibiotics and a cough suppressant and today she is doing much better.I hope she can sleep all right since Friday night she had a loud night.
The vet said it shouldn't turn into pneumonia cause it was cought in time and she is young.Any advice?I am keeping her inside since the wind is chilli and giving her her medications.She has been acting normal all these days, besides the cough.
Also I am thinking to vaccinate Toby tomorrow, to avoid for him to get sick as well.He is 15 years old and getting ill at this age would be much harder on him.I am puzzled by the symptoms showing so late thought, I thought there was about a week or so of incubations with this disease.

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:16 pm

Make sure you booster the bordetella 6 mths after the first one. We reccomend boostering it every 6 mths anyway, if your dog is around other dogs alot....and....injectable seems to be more effective then the intranasel.....just my .02 cents....

pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:36 pm

My two cents: Toby's already been exposed, why vaccinate now. I'm one of those folks who don't vaccinate for it at all. I don't like the vaccine unless it's the injectable form. Who wants crap squirted up their nose? And there is no guarantee it will work anyway. I've seen it not work and I've seen dogs contract it from the vaccine. Once my dogs have had it once, they never catch it again.
As far as her care, just keep up what you are doing and she'll be fine. Minimize her excitement to avoid coughing fits and avoid collar pressure which will also often trigger coughing spells.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:14 am

Related question: Does anyone know how long bordatella nasal keeps in storage? I'm getting ready to order vaccines, and if it'll keep 6 months, I'll order 2 of the bordatella.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:28 am

From what I understand, the vaccine doesn't cover all the strains anyway, so it's possible too that it wouldn't have helped even if she was vaccinated. The only reason I do it is because it's required for any sort of hospitalization procedure at the vets here (including dentistries, which all our ours have either gotten recently or need soon), but after this time, my two won't be getting it again, and I've actually only done the distemper/bord every two years for the past several years anyway, rabies every 3. Goo never interacts with strange dogs, but Annie has been out at training, petsmart, dog walks, kennels, etc and never cought it, so I really think it's just luck of the draw sometimes. Now lemme go knock on wood, I'm taking Annie in for her shots tomorrow and with my luck she'll pick it up in the kennels and bring it back for everyone else :roll:

Hope Ice's cough goes away quickly, and that the rest of them are unaffected!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:07 pm

The only reason I do it is because it's required for any sort of hospitalization procedure at the vets here

The boarding kennel required the bordetella shot and that is the only reason why I vaccinated the dogs.And you are right, the vaccine does not cover every strain.The won't be boosted unless they are boarded again, I try to vaccinate the less I can.

My two cents: Toby's already been exposed, why vaccinate now. I'm one of those folks who don't vaccinate for it at all. I don't like the vaccine unless it's the injectable form.

True, the vet suggested to vaccinate Toby as well but, like you said, he has been exposed already so there is probably no point in doing it now.
About the vaccine, the vet who vaccinated the two dogs said that they do it trough the nose now.I haven't vaccinated for Bordetella in a long time so I took her word for it.
Does anyone know more about this way to vaccinate.What difference there is between the intranasal one and the injectable one?
The dogs did not flinch for it but I'd like to know more.

pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:38 am

My old vet I worked for used to use the injectable form but that was years ago. Most vets I know won't use it as they think the intranasal is the only way to go. I have no idea if it's still being manufactured in an injectable form or not.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:08 pm

pocketpit wrote:My old vet I worked for used to use the injectable form but that was years ago. Most vets I know won't use it as they think the intranasal is the only way to go. I have no idea if it's still being manufactured in an injectable form or not.
My vet will do which ever the client prefers so it is still available

loveAPBTloyalty

Bordatella

Postby loveAPBTloyalty » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:33 pm

Bordatella vaccine should be given intranasal first and then a booster injection three weeks after. Then keep up the injection vaccines every six months.
The bordatella vaccine works just like the flu vaccine for humans. It only protects against certain strains of the disease.
Unlike other vaccines, Bordatella does not show side effects of over vaccination. Most boarding, grooming, veterinarians require for the dog to be vaccinated to be in their facilities.

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:43 pm

We do intranasal if its their very first one...but after that, we use injectable.

dr961
Super Bully

kennel cough

Postby dr961 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:38 pm

One of the things I was worried about when I was considering adopting a dog from a shelter last summer was kennel cough. Sure enough, the day I picked the dog up she was sneezing, the first sign. She never got a really bad cough, but the sneezing was pretty bad for a few weeks, and she had no appetite to speak of. I kept her separate from my other dog and for the first week or so was careful to remove my shoes, spray my hands and feet with diluted bleach, etc, trying not to expose Aber. Whether or not this had anything to do with it, he never got sick at all.

Just be sure Ice hasn't got the new dangerous type of kennel cough or "dog flu"--I understand symptoms include a fever and green gunky nasal and eye discharge. If she just has one of the many normal varieties of kennel cough she should recover fine with rest and a stress-free lifestyle.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:10 am

Just be sure Ice hasn't got the new dangerous type of kennel cough or "dog flu"--I understand symptoms include a fever and green gunky nasal and eye discharge. If she just has one of the many normal varieties of kennel cough she should recover fine with rest and a stress-free lifestyle

None of that.She is doing better, I came home today to a loud :"where in the hell have you been all day??"
The poor creature is normally quite vocal so it was a pain to see her trying to talk and cough right away.Her face when she realized she was able to "talk" again was priceless.She is back to her old self, the quite time is over! lol
She is still not allowed to do much activity, till I am done with her medication at least.

---------------------------

Ice ATTS/CGC: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Tigger ATTS: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Jack the foster: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
http://www.pbrc.net/dogpages/west/tigger8860.htm

Return to “Health Issues”