How skinny is too skinny?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

How skinny is too skinny?

Postby LazyDaisy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:14 pm

Okay, I have 2 pitties and Rosco seems to be built more like ADBA type dog and Daisy is more "bully". I have noticed lately that Rosco seems thin. I am feeding him about 3 cups of Wellness fish and potatoe (just switched, before it was one bag of Merrick, natures variety before that and before that Canidae, as you see I am searching for the perfect food lol ) and 2times a day (1 1/2 cup each meal) I don't have a recent pic handy, maybe when I get home, but I can see his ribs and hips. He is 9 months old, so I am not sure if he is just in his tall, lean and gangly mode or if I should be conserned. His front and hind legs are muscular and he is in good spirits. His poop is fine, he didn't seem to be digesting the dehydrated peas and veggies in the Merrick, but other than that he seems okay.

Neither his dad or mom are lean pits though, (though I know the woman who has them spoils them so they may just be overweight! lol ), so I'm not sure if I should be worried. I don't want him to be rolly polly but I want to make sure he is okay. I will see if I can post my pics from home later. Not sure if there are any real recent ones.

I also noticed that a neighbors tree is shedding some type of seed/berry that he keeps wanting to eat and I see that in his poop (we are cutting their tree back this weekend), undigested. Could this be something?

Thanks!

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Sounds like he is at the age where he is stretching out. Does he act hungry between meals? Counter surfing?

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Three cups a day of food should be okay. I often forget to measure Dante's food so I think she's getting more like 4 cups. What do you mean by skinny? Visible ribs are okay but you shouldn't be seeing any hips or vertebrae. Dante's a skinny dog, I'm hoping the winter will fatten her up a bit!

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:25 pm

If hes just 9 months old, he may need more food. Ernie ate like a horse at that age. I basically gave him as much Canidae as he wanted to eat, and he ate about 4 cups a day (never got too fat). Now that hes older, hes down to less than 2 cups a day. And I have to watch how much he eats or he'll start to get tubby.
Last edited by rednoseErnie on Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:33 pm

No counter surfing, that is reserved for Daisy. lol but yes, he is ALWAYS hungry, just like Daisy, but she was getting a bit pudgy, but looks great now. I can't see his vertabre, his little tummy is just so skinny! Last time he was at the vet, maybe a month or so ago, he was about 55lbs and I would say hes maybe 17 in tall. Taller than Daisy now, my little runt. :) He's a pretty sedate dog so I didn't want to over feed him, but maybe I will up his food to 2 cups per meal and see. I'll still see if I can post a pic when I get home in an hour or so. I have only noticed this in the last few weeks so maybe he lost some weight from the Merrick, it didn't seem like he was digesting it well. :dunno:

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:39 pm

Yeah feed 1/4 or 1/2 a cup more each meal, maybe cut up some green beans to fill him up so he doesnt seem so hungry?!?

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:43 pm

Cut up green beans huh? Hmmm, I'll try that, you think frozen ones are okay or fresh? I have some turkey necks and raw bones too, I should give him one with dinner.?

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:58 pm

If he has plenty of energy and his coat is healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. 3 cups per day seems fine, and is a cup more than I feed my 2-year-old female. Puppies go through some funky stages, where they seem to be growing in all the wrong places. Besides, its always better for a dog to be lean than overweight.

When my girl is conditioned, you can see her ribs and feel her hipbones. But you can also feel the solid muscles. Her eyes are bright, her coat is shiny, and she's got tons of energy. What I'm saying is, seeing bones is not always a bad thing.

As for the greens, I agree with feeding him some veggie matter if he seems to crave it. I was giving Loki carrots and stuff at one point. Just go slowly, since too many veggies too quickly can mess up their digestion.

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:06 pm

When my girl is conditioned, you can see her ribs and feel her hipbones. But you can also feel the solid muscles. Her eyes are bright, her coat is shiny, and she's got tons of energy. What I'm saying is, seeing bones is not always a bad thing.

Rosco is the same, well, he is mostly a mellow dog, but shiny coat, eyes, and very muscular. In fact I always think of your advatar when I see his back legs.

He (and Daisy) always want to eat our tortises poop which is mostly all grass, so adding greens is probably what they need. I saw a good idea in a sticky about blending and freezing in ice cube trays. Maybe I'll do that.

Thanks for all the input.

Trump72

Postby Trump72 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:59 pm

Visible ribs are okay but you shouldn't be seeing any hips or vertebrae.

uh oh... i can see gladys' vertebrae... and everyone thinks i dont feed her enough. i thought maybe they were used to seeing overweight dogs so much that they didnt know what a healthy dog should look like....

i feed her 2-3 cups of timberwolf a day... should i feed her more since she's still a pup?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Here's Soleil at 4 months, you can see her vertebrae a little, a little more hip than I'd like, though you can't really tell from this pic. I keep her lean, I wouldn't want to see a pup any leaner than her. I'm actually trying to put a little meat on her, it's too cold for her now.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:17 pm

Trump72 wrote:
Visible ribs are okay but you shouldn't be seeing any hips or vertebrae.

uh oh... i can see gladys' vertebrae... and everyone thinks i dont feed her enough. i thought maybe they were used to seeing overweight dogs so much that they didnt know what a healthy dog should look like....

i feed her 2-3 cups of timberwolf a day... should i feed her more since she's still a pup?

My dog has lost way too much weight on the Timber Wolf. She is 3 years old, spayed and is eating 2 cups in am, 2 cups in pm and about a cup in between for lunch/snack.
In the past several weeks, quite a few people have asked me why she is loosing the weight, can see her ribs and her back bone is starting to stick up.
I remember others on here posting about their dogs getting too thin on Tw too.
I got a bag of Natures Variety Venison, and this is the end of TW for my dogs.
Your pup probably needs more TW food then what you are feeding I would imagine?
My dog is eating much more, is older, and still loosing weight, so you probably should increase your pups too?

Trump72

Postby Trump72 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:06 pm

woah, that sounds like alot of food... especially since tw claims you feed less due to their hogh protien content.

and it's way to expensive to be feeding that much.

can i order natures variety online? is it good for food allergies?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:12 am

Trump72 wrote:
can i order natures variety online? is it good for food allergies?

I order a lot of stuff from sit stay and they carry NV.
They also have venison, for dogs that have soem allergy issues ( it depends on what your dog is allergic to)
http://www.sitstay.com [/url]

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:03 pm

here is a chart to show what a dog looks like at an ideal weight. I believe it does a good job
http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20 ... dition.htm

Return to “Health Issues”