Should I get his ears cut? When?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Diego

Should I get his ears cut? When?

Postby Diego » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:20 pm

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I want to get my new pit's ear's cut. I've searched and searched and looked at 100's of pictures, and just can't make up my mind.. I've noticed on a lot of pitbull's that the ear has some scar tissue when it heals.. I definately don't want that. How can I be sure this doesn't happen?
And also, How long do I have to decide to do it or not?
What do you all think? Should I get them done?
What's an average price to have this done?

If anyone has some good close up shots of their pit's ears cut, I'd love to see them..

bella_blue
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bella_blue » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:27 pm

Awww...he's so cute with natural ears!! :inlove: I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this!

Devin
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Devin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:30 pm

I wouldn't have it done.

Sangelic
Newborn Bully

Postby Sangelic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:32 pm

I agree, he's way too cute with natural ears! :)

Pariah
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pariah » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:02 pm

I prefer natural ears as a personal choice.
Also, and this is just a personal opinion and observation: I think Pits with natural ears look more friendly and aproachable and I could see that as an advantage if you live in an area with alot of anti-pit sentiment going on.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:04 pm

Pariah wrote:I prefer natural ears as a personal choice.
Also, and this is just a personal opinion and observation: I think Pits with natural ears look more friendly and aproachable and I could see that as an advantage if you live in an area with alot of anti-pit sentiment going on.
I absolutely agree

Sheepl

Postby Sheepl » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:06 pm

I love cropped ears, I've personally never thought of cropped ears as threatening or intimidating? But ya never know with people. I say go for it if you like. He's one of those dogs who could pull the uber cute look either way! :inlove:

PopeyeSaysHowdy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PopeyeSaysHowdy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:07 pm

I personally think it's a bit cruel to cut your dogs ears off just because you like the way it looks.

My opinion aside, this is a very good observation:

Pariah wrote:Also, and this is just a personal opinion and observation: I think Pits with natural ears look more friendly and aproachable and I could see that as an advantage if you live in an area with alot of anti-pit sentiment going on.

Purplesauerous

Postby Purplesauerous » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:55 pm

If the surgery isn't necessary, that is, the surgery isn't needed to maintain the dog's good health, then it shouldn't be done. This is cosmetic surgery, and the only reason the dog seems to need it is for you!
I like the natural ears! It gives their faces more expression! :))

Emi
Forum Junky

Postby Emi » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:27 pm

I personally like natural ears , some crops are very nice , if they are cropped I prefer and like the ones that look like this ...

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... p&start=15

Then Patch directs them to White Rock Amstaff's in that post and shows a picture of this guy ..

http://www.geocities.com/whiterockkennel/ btw Bomber is a gorgous dog :inlove:

I like the cropped ears like that ... that's my 2 cents :) ... but your seeing more and more with out crops ... :thumbsup:

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:30 pm

Take a look at the bid to crop or not to crop debate.....it has some good points from both views. :))

BlueMaui
Matured Bully

Postby BlueMaui » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:37 pm

crop 'em. Just my opinion ofcourse. I like the way cropped ears shaped the head when they are fully grown. As for when to do it... 8- 12 weeks old is probably the best age.

added: by the looks of him now, it looks like hes going to be pretty thick. I think it will really suit him

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:43 pm

Well, I say no, but you might guess that as a Staffybull person, I don't much like cropped ears. ;)

Scarring is unavoidable with cropped ears. After the ear flap is cut off, the edge is going to be a scar, there's no way around that, nothing to cover it with. It should be just that back edge where the ear was cut away that is a scar. If it's a decently done crop, most people don't seem to notice the scarring. (I always do.)

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:54 pm

Cropping costs upward to between 250- 400 dollars depending on the vet and type of procedure, and should only be done by a very knowledgable vet.

If you do decide to do it, it is best to get it done when the puppy is young, as it will be more painful and take much longer to crop as he ages.

cropped/uncropped doesn't matter as long as he is loved.

By the way... how old is your puppy?

Return to “Health Issues”