Should I get his ears cut? When?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:33 pm

I always tell people that if you aren't sure, its better to err on the side of caution. The only point to putting your pup through the surgery is if you really feel like he needs to have cropped ears. You run the risk of getting a botched crop job, or even having him die while "under." Plus, the aftercare can be a real pain.

You have until he's about 3 months to decide. He technically can be cropped after that time, but its harder on adult dogs.

We have a vet that we like for crops, and he charges $200. You can get them done cheaper, but it is more advisable to go with a vet you trust, one that can show you pictures of crops he's done or give references.

Disclaimer: I like a good crop, but I prefer a good natural ear. I've had both.

BaByPhAtt

Postby BaByPhAtt » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:49 am

Well It all depends if you want them cropped... mine cost 300 and the Vet is well known to do great crops..he took care of everything.. including the taping after the surgery..It only took 2 weeks for everything to be done...here is a pic of him with floppy ears..Image And then here is one after the crop...hes 7 months old in this pic..hes wearing the new sweater I bought him lol...ImageImageI think he looks great :thumbsup:

HartagoldAST

Postby HartagoldAST » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:27 am

Unless you are showing, leave them natural. I love a good crop, but there are very few vets that do good ones any more, and many vets are charging big bucks to discourage people from having it done.

There will be scarring on the ear edges no matter what-but a good vet can minimize that, as well as good aftercare.

Here's Doodle, who has probably the best crop out of my dogs. You can see the edges of her ears, that is scar tissue. :

BaByPhAtt

Postby BaByPhAtt » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:39 am

Doodle is beautilful.. :thumbsup:

Emi
Forum Junky

Postby Emi » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:17 am

Doodles has such a sweet sweet sweet face ... Hartagold you have such sweet looking pups .. :inlove:

Diego

Postby Diego » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Wow, thanks for all the great responces! It's funny how something like this can be such a difficult decision to make. I still haven't came to a 100% yes, or no... But I'm leaning towards the "No" area right now.. You all brought up some very good points from both sides.
On one hand, I do want him to have the pitbull "look".. But on the other, I know that if it doesn't come out the way I want, there's no turning back.

HartagoldAST , Doodle's ears are perfect! One of the best crops i've seen. I really like that "Style?".

As far as the area i'm in, we really don't have a whole lot of anti-pitbull activity, atleast not yet. For the most part, people around here are very reasonable. Once in a while, an eyebrow will raise when I bring Diego, my 2 year old male, to the park or places that have small children playing near by, but I usually make it a point to bring him around the children, and laugh to myself when the kids come running wanting to see him and play with him, and of course he greets them by licking the candy off their faces..lol.. It's almost as if he knows I'm trying to prove a point, and does his best to help me do just that.

Aja Tyson is 8 weeks old.. The person I bought him from took that pic, so i'm not really sure how old he was in it. I think 6 weeks.
I just took these pics a while ago.

I don't remember where I got these pictures, but these are both very nice looking. I'm not sure which one would look better on Tyson..I REALLY like the first one though!

BlueMaui
Matured Bully

Postby BlueMaui » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:54 pm

diego, i like the crop style of that first pic

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:02 pm

Those crops look nice! Dogs...not so much...poor things :sad:

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:35 pm

GreddyGirl wrote:Those crops look nice! Dogs...not so much...poor things :sad:
:duh:

Diego

Postby Diego » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:22 pm

I think they're pretty dogs.. Maybe a little over worked though.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:44 pm

Bustersmama wrote:

dont crop even show dogs dont need thier ears cropped..and i know w my dogs and me the less surgery the better....

JaysGirl

Postby JaysGirl » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:39 am

I like uncropped ears personally, but my husband insisted that we get Blade's ears cropped. The avator pic is before and here is Blade the day after his surgery. He is all healed up now and I have to admit, his ears turned out pretty good. We had his done at 12 weeks (by a reputable vet) and it costed a little less than $300.

bella_blue
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bella_blue » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 am

Blade is the cutest thing I've ever seen (next to my Bella, of course!) :)

JaysGirl

Postby JaysGirl » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:46 am

:) Thank you! Bella is a doll too!

bella_blue
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bella_blue » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:47 am

Thank you! How old is Blade now?

Return to “Health Issues”