puppy questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitlover

puppy questions

Postby pitlover » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:32 pm

I have a few puppy questions regarding lucy that have been worrying me. The first one is minor. She has some dry skin. Is this something that i should be really worried about? She doesnt scratch and itch herself more than normal dogs/puppies do, but when i pet her (use my nails) it comes off so easily. How do i get rid of it? i gave her a bath today and that helped some. Is there any skin conditioner that i should put on her? Other than the bath i havent done anything else.

Next question. She is EXTREMELY bloated for a puppy. Its like she has a pot belly all of the time. My mom thinks that it is just air but she has been like this for the entire 2 wks that we have had her and she isnt gassy. She eats, poops, pees, plays, and does all of the things that little puppies are supposed to do. Do any of you know what mite cause this? Should i get it checked out? she has been to the vet but he didnt look at it very closly.

Other than those two things she is great. She is now an extremely happy and is 9wks old. She is growing bigger and bigger everyday! Thanks alot for any imput :))

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:39 pm

Being bloated is a sign that your pup has worms. Has she seen a vet yet? She needs to be checked and treated if she hasn't been already ASAP.

As for the flakey skin what did you bathe her in , what food is she eating, and is she parasite free?

Good luck w/ your new addition!
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitlover

Postby pitlover » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:54 pm

yes she has saw a vet and she has been wormed. She also has all of he vaccinations. if she is wormy, how long does it take for the wormer to take effect? she saw the vet last week.

She is eating purina puppy chow. Is that bad? Is there anything better for her skin? I know Eukinuba is pretty good, but that is very expensive. She doesnt have any parasites. I checked her over for that 2 day. I saw one fee on her and thats the main reason i gave her a bath, just to get rid of it. I also bathed all of our other dogs once i saw the flee.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:21 pm

pitlover wrote:yes she has saw a vet and she has been wormed. She also has all of he vaccinations. if she is wormy, how long does it take for the wormer to take effect? she saw the vet last week.

She is eating purina puppy chow. Is that bad? Is there anything better for her skin? I know Eukinuba is pretty good, but that is very expensive. She doesnt have any parasites. I checked her over for that 2 day. I saw one fee on her and thats the main reason i gave her a bath, just to get rid of it. I also bathed all of our other dogs once i saw the flee.

She will have to be wormed more than once to get rid of them.. What meds did the vet give you. He/ she should have given you more than one dose. Yes it takes more than a week if the belly is all bloated the pup is most likely quite infested. Is this a rescue or from a breeder. Either way that is pretty bad that they didn't worm the pup.

The flakey skin is probably from the chemicals in the flea bath as well as the food. Actually Eukanuba is marketed as being a good food but it isn't at all

Foods with corn, wheat, by products soy and or wheat are not good foods and should be avoided.

here is a link to give you some better options
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23039

if you have any other questions ask away!

post some picts of your new baby please

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:38 pm

Pot Belly: If its not worms, you might just be feeding her too much.

Dry skin: You can help that out by adding a small bit of extra virgin olive oil to her food. But be aware that too much can make her gain weight, which you don't want if she's already pudgy. Changing her to a better food should effect a change in her coat health.

pitlover

Postby pitlover » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:37 pm

we have to get the rest of the meds next week. This wil be the last dose of it. Im not sure what its called. Is there anything else that i can do for her skin? one more thing about her skin. She has these little bumps on the top of her head. Im pretty worried about it. Any idea what it would be? They arent infected or anytihng like that. Dont worry, in going to try and get pics up!!! just have to fix my d@mn camera!

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Remember when picking food, some of the choices giving in the post above are more expensive, however b/c they contain better ingredients, you will feed less, and she will poop less, and be healthier.

How much are you feeding now?

Where did you get the pup from? Are the bump missing hair? How big are they (pimple size, marble size)?

Can't wait to see pics!!!

pitlover

Postby pitlover » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:57 pm

no they arent missing anyhair and the biggestt is about a large pimple size and then they get smaller from there. There is some on the top of her neck and one on her cheeck. There is about 11 bumps total (I just counted) Think it mite b parasites? She doesnt have anything on her that i can see

pitlover

Postby pitlover » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:58 pm

and im feeding her about 1/2 a cup to a full cup, more like a full cup. Is that too much? That is wat i have feed all of my other dogs when they were puppies and they didnt have this problem

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:00 pm

pitlover wrote:we have to get the rest of the meds next week. This wil be the last dose of it. Im not sure what its called. Is there anything else that i can do for her skin? one more thing about her skin. She has these little bumps on the top of her head. Im pretty worried about it. Any idea what it would be? They arent infected or anytihng like that. Dont worry, in going to try and get pics up!!! just have to fix my d@mn camera!

THEY COULD BE
BITES FROM THE FLEAS
TEETH MARKS THAT ROSE UP FROM PLAYING WITH HER LITTER MATES
ALLERGIES
START OF MANGE

OOOPS CAP LOCKS WAS ON :oops: it is hard to say really especially without pictures of it

Salmon oil is great for the skin too

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:46 pm

I must have missed how old she is?

The amount of food sounds ok.

pitlover

Postby pitlover » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:48 pm

she is 9wks old, rite now im tryin to get pics of it, whats a good site to help me post?

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:22 pm

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:49 pm

my apbt had puupy pimbles when she was ittle..

and apollo had a pimply rash from a 14 hr plane trip..where the airline last him!!! ahh

but post pics:)

Return to “Health Issues”