bil jac dog food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitbu11

bil jac dog food?

Postby pitbu11 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:18 pm

i have been wanting to switch my puppy to either bil jac or nutro......the pet store guy said bil jac is one of the best dog foods they carry i had never really heard of it...but if anyone as any experience with either food let me know.....im looking for a good food thats still a reasonable price

bella_blue
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bella_blue » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:26 pm

I'd go with Nutro over Bil Jac (and a lot of other brands over Nutro.) Bil Jac contains a few not-so-good ingredients.

Here's a neat tool to compare ingredients in different brands of dog food: http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:27 pm

both those foods are way down the list, not good kibble at all.
Read the sticky at the top, about top 5 kibbles.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 pm

I've heard AmStaff people here refer to Bil Jac as a food they use to fatten up dogs. (They even make a "raw" version now.) Not something I would feed. Nor Nutro, really. It isn't a horrible food, just nowhere near the good stuff. Of course, once you hit on a really high-quality food, you wont want to go back.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:20 am

Bil Jac is crap. You will be paying way too much for anything you buy with that name on it.

Tori

Postby Tori » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:35 am

I've been feeding Canidae now for the last 3 months or so and I like it .It's also a good price , 33.00 for 40 pounds.A couple of times i've fed Wellness , but it's to expensive for what you get.

pitbu11

Postby pitbu11 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:10 am

thats about the price range i was looking at do u know where u can find it? local pet store or mainly online?

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:17 am

Local pet stores should have it but not chain stores. [i.e. Petco., Petsmart, etc.]

You can check their store locator on http://www.canidae.com but it is not always 100% accurate.

Where are you located?

pitbu11

Postby pitbu11 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:36 am

albuquerque new mexico

Tori

Postby Tori » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:43 pm

My local pet store is the only store around here that sells it .You can also order it on line , or get list of pet stores that do sell it.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:22 pm

X-girl wrote:Local pet stores should have it but not chain stores. [i.e. Petco., Petsmart, etc.]

Our local Pet Supplies Plus just started carrying Canidae-- easier for me to get my family members to switch their dogs to it too. :))

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:45 pm

Pet Supplies Plus rocks. I go there whenever I am visiting my family in PA. [There are none near Hoboken.] They carry a lot of the better foods - including Nature's Variety!

I don't consider them the same kind of chain as Petco./Petsmart.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:26 pm

Southern Agriculture is a good place to look for higher-end foods, too, if they have those in your area.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:57 pm

X-girl wrote:Pet Supplies Plus rocks. I go there whenever I am visiting my family in PA. [There are none near Hoboken.] They carry a lot of the better foods - including Nature's Variety!

I don't consider them the same kind of chain as Petco./Petsmart.

Yeah, they are pretty cool. They host blood drives too. Too bad ours doesn't carry NV-- I think stock varies depending on which store it is. I will only shop there and a local store called ChowHound, now. I've had bad experiences with out PetCo. :twisted:

Seamus&Hector

Postby Seamus&Hector » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:07 pm

I have heard all good things about Nutro and Bil Jac. Were using Bil Jac right now because my dog has pancreatitis. He was diagnosed with it while he was on Nutro.. Wether thats connected I have no idea...

Return to “Health Issues”