Low cost tick solution?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Low cost tick solution?

Postby jmann4 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:56 pm

I was wondering how you penny pincher's out there help stop ticks from eating your dogs alive?

Natural solutions? Non-vet solutions? Home remedies?
jmann4

Postby whiskeyman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:27 pm

I live in rural West Virginia so deer ticks can be a problem. For the past 2 years I have gotten only 1 tick off of my dogs. I hzave gotten many more off of myself.
I'm not sure why so few though, I don't use advantage or frontline nor do I use a flea & tick shampoo. The only preventative that I use is a little garlic powder on thier food and I shampoo with johnsons baby shampoo.
Maybe the garlic works on ticks as well as fleas or the shampoo also keeps the boogers away.
My dogs also swim about 5 times a week, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not though.

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby Hooligan » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:59 pm

Ivermectin. I believe the dosage is .10 cc per 10 lbs every 14 days, this also works for Heartworms (found that our recently on here).

The only preventative that I use is a little garlic powder on thier food and I shampoo with johnsons baby shampoo.
Maybe the garlic works on ticks as well as fleas or the shampoo also keeps the boogers away.

Doesn't garlic give them stinky poots?
Hooligan

Postby whiskeyman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:11 pm

Hooligan wrote:Ivermectin. I believe the dosage is .10 cc per 10 lbs every 14 days, this also works for Heartworms (found that our recently on here).

The only preventative that I use is a little garlic powder on thier food and I shampoo with johnsons baby shampoo.

LOL.... I''ve never smelled a poot that didn't stink. :)

I really don't notice a difference between the winter farts (without garlic) and the warmer weather ones.

later
jeremy
whiskeyman

Postby concreterose » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Nope.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:28 pm

For the price of a round of heart gaurd you can hit a cattle feed/supply store and buy a bottle of the straight stuff and it will last forever, as a measured doseage comes out to a few drops. This will protect against damn near everything. I use Frontline too. I don't know which one is doing the most good in regards to ticks as I keep them covered. I don't have to tell you about the creepy crawly surplus down South...

Here's my doseage:

.1 ml/cc per 10 lbs (quarterly) and in the in between months with .1 ml/cc per 50 lbs for maintenence.

Blue Steel posted hers earlier for her kennel:

Once a month, at a dosage of 0.1 cc per eleven pounds of body weight, or 1cc per 110 pounds of body weight (for a 55 pound dog, I use 0.5 cc). Use a tuberculin syringe to make sure I get the exact correct dosage.

You will find variations of this, but not by much. The actual amout in heartgaurd plus is very little so you don't need to give too much.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues