Ear problems

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Ear problems

Postby amberspitbulls » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:12 pm

My male has had a scratch on the tip of his ear for a couple of months now. I have taken him to the vet, and they have done everything. He gets the medical collar off, and will scratch at it, or while playing with the other dogs, they will scratch or bite it, which makes it bleed, and not heal. It is not very big, but I know it bothers him cause he will shake his head. Any suggestions on getting it to heal? I have litteraly taped a bandage to his little head...nothing works!!! Help

amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby amberspitbulls » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:29 pm

No one knows anything? Suggestions?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Have you tried anti itch creams or bag balm...

Does he have an ear infection? If not you may want to try switching foods maybe it is a food allergy

amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby amberspitbulls » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:47 am

I have not tried anti itch cream or bag balm, just neosporin. He doesnt have an ear infection or food allergies. Its just that the cut keeps getting reopened. Im sure it itches, cause it scabs over. Ill try the anti itch cream...and see if that works. Thanks Patch

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:43 am

Sidney's had the same problem for abut 2.5 weeks. Nothing we've tried has helped so far. :sad: I just constantly clean up blood splatters.
Our vet also told us to use an antibiotic ointment.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:00 pm

Literally just came back from the vet for this exact same issue. Christmas morning I woke up to find Dante bleeding. I cleaned her up and she had scratches on her ears. I closely watched her, she was scratching her ears and crying. My vet is out of town this week, so today I took her to a friend's vet. She has a bad ear infection! When I look in her ears I didn't see anything but the vet says she definitely has a bad ear infection. He flushed her ears, gave her antibiotic injection, and put in ear drops. She has to have pills twice a day and ten drops in each ear four times a day. My poor baby! She's in alot of pain and is suffering!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:33 am

We've had Sid looked at, and her ear canals are clean as a whistle.... Just those damned scabs on the edges of her ears keep opening. I woke up this morning and Shades was covered with blood-- he must have been sleeping with his baby sister.

amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby amberspitbulls » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:57 pm

Yeah, its just the tip of the ear. And when he shakes his head blood goes everywhere. Walls, TV...ect. I put neosporin on it, but it doesnt help when he keeps scratching it. UGH! Darn dog.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:13 am

We've had Sid looked at, and her ear canals are clean as a whistle.... Just those damned scabs on the edges of her ears keep opening. I woke up this morning and Shades was covered with blood-- he must have been sleeping with his baby sister.

Dante's ears appear to be clean as a whistle too, an infection can be very deep within the ear and behavior is the best indicator. Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion?

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:39 pm

OTC Cortisone 10 cream will do wonders for keeping him from scratching. It will burn for a min if the wounds are raw and open. If you can't catch him when they are scabbed up i would ask the vet for something oral to take the edge off long enough to get some closure. I would continue with the Neosporin ("with pain releif" has a small bit of Pramoxine in it which will is also used to stop itching as well as pain releif) at different times of day. Good luck with your pup.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:58 pm

Marilyn wrote:

Dante's ears appear to be clean as a whistle too, an infection can be very deep within the ear and behavior is the best indicator. Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion?

Thanks.
Her behavior isn't the same as when she has an ear infection (she has had several in the 8 months we've had her). She has also seen about three different vets. I trust the last opinion I got-- she does go back this week for follow-up, though.

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:21 pm

Several ear infections sounds like allergies to me. Can the vet do an allergy test? I know that humans can get allergy tests.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:13 am

Marilyn wrote:Several ear infections sounds like allergies to me. Can the vet do an allergy test? I know that humans can get allergy tests.

Yes, we could get an allergy test done. However, that is probably our last step in figuring out the problem. Unfortunately it is extremely expensive and may/may not help to diagnose her problem.

We're going through the process of trying to diagnose the problem through other means right now. Unfortunately, most vets say "it's allergies, here, give her prednisone". This is why we've seen three different vets and now were on the slow track of trying to figure out the problem, rather than treating her with prednisone ever two weeks.
Actually, the vet we're working with now doesn't believe that it is allergies.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:06 am

If I'm understanding correctly, my Dachs had this same thing several years ago, and it took FOREVER to finally get to heal up. We tried taping, cauterizing, packing with quick-stop, bandaging, were even going to try having it stitched together (though the vets decided it probably wouldn't knit back together, so there was no point), all to no avail. It eventually stopped and healed up on its own, but until it reached that point, it was just a matter of damage control. She split the other ear last fall (just barely nicked, but I knew what it'd turn into), and I immediately applied quick stop, rinsed that off and glued the ear together after the bleeding stopped, then wrapped it and taped it up and flat to the top of her head so she couldn't shake it around. After about a week (checking it every day), it was healed up and we haven't had any problems since. I wouldn't have tried it with a bigger tear though, though taping the ear flat to the head does seem to work better than just leaving it hang.

The ears are very veinous, and even a small cut or nick can "spread" and cause a lot of bleeding, so it can be hard to get them to heal.

Here's a pic of her ear (the one with the big tear, you can't see the one on the other ear) now, is this where your dogs' are having the problems?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:04 am

Yup, that's exactly it.
I guess we'll know better what to do in the future thanks to that poor little dach (very cute, btw).

Return to “Health Issues”