Fruit?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Itsapitty
Super Bully

Postby Itsapitty » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:32 pm

A few people asked about walnuts - I know I'd seen that they aren't good for dogs, apparently because of a fungus. Here's a link, there's a bunch more out there (just google for dogs poisonous food dogs walnuts)
http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/dc/health/poisons.htm

And here's an article that talks about feed dogs citrus. Not truly poisonous, but can cause gastrointestinal irritation:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_dyk

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:32 pm

pitmomma wrote:Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Aw phooey. And I was going to let Loki join in our New Years celebrations! LOL. Just kidding. Not poking fun, but that just struck me as funny.

BTW, concreterose, thanks for the garlic info. I give Loki garlic maybe once per week. I guess I should ease off for winter.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:31 pm

Daisy likes all fruits veggies and nuts pretty much. She'll drool like a mofo if I have a bowl of fresh pineapple though. She gets banannas alot too and carrots as calorie-less chew toys at times.

Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Wooderson » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:08 am

How about eggplant? For whatever reason, Redhead seems to like it. Then again, he likes about everything.

I give Redhead a chopped-up garlic clove once a week or so, and also a raw egg once a week. I figure wild dogs steal and eat eggs whenever they can.

Are these bad ideas? Or should I just cook the egg?

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:49 am

I've been giving Jaydee banana peels and she eats them! I just wonder if they are bad for her or not?

Frost

Postby Frost » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:48 pm

jaygirl wrote:I've been giving Jaydee banana peels and she eats them! I just wonder if they are bad for her or not?

you.... are weird :p

BUT

not half as weird as your dog

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:52 pm

That is not answering my question :moon:

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:39 pm

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

:huh?:

rwh

Postby rwh » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Bruce's fave is bannanas. I stuff his kong with half a bannana and he's a happy boy.

rwh

Postby rwh » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:29 pm

Wooderson wrote:How about eggplant? For whatever reason, Redhead seems to like it. Then again, he likes about everything.

I give Redhead a chopped-up garlic clove once a week or so, and also a raw egg once a week. I figure wild dogs steal and eat eggs whenever they can.

Are these bad ideas? Or should I just cook the egg?

I give the kids raw eggs about once or twice a week. They love em, the eggs have DHA in them too. Bruce will even eat the shell, but not my Wally butt. She lets Bruce eat her shell. I've read BARF info that says it's good for them. :tongue:

TroyMcClureOG82

Postby TroyMcClureOG82 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:37 pm

I know many use garlic for flea control yet this list says it can be toxic?

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:48 pm

You should only use it in small amounts and then go off it for a while. It lowers the risk. :-)

Return to “Health Issues”