which of these foods should i try

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
abman
Matured Bully

which of these foods should i try

Postby abman » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:29 pm

I'm thinking of rotating in either natures variety raw instinct or one of the merrick foods.

Here is the merrick food.

Ingredients:
Beef, Oatmeal, Barley, Beef Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Beef Broth, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Caramel Color, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Here is the raw instincts.

INGREDIENTS
Chicken Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, Menhaden Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Chicken Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Kelp, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove.

Frost

Postby Frost » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:37 pm

based on ingredients alone, the merrick food looks like garbage. oatmeal is way higher up on the list than i ever like to see it. might as well just feed your dog cooked oatmeal if you put him or her on that food

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:35 am

I think the Merrick kibble (and canned) is a really good kibble. The Nature's Variety raw instinct looks good, but I'm not crazy about the protein level. I'm seeing lots of folks that raved over the EVO starting to have some pretty nasty situations and are taking their dogs off it.

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:14 am

I've never used merrick but a friend swears by it and her dogs look really good on it. One is a 60 pound pitbull that is full of energy and the merrick food keeps the dog in good shape,lots of energy, and a great coat.

As for the raw instincts my only concern is the high protein. Ive been hearing about alot of problems lately from dogs having issues with evo so i may rotate in the merrick to see how it goes. Half of what my dogs get is raw and home cooked.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:59 pm

abman wrote:I've never used merrick but a friend swears by it and her dogs look really good on it. One is a 60 pound pitbull that is full of energy and the merrick food keeps the dog in good shape,lots of energy, and a great coat.

As for the raw instincts my only concern is the high protein. Ive been hearing about alot of problems lately from dogs having issues with evo so i may rotate in the merrick to see how it goes. Half of what my dogs get is raw and home cooked.

One of my cats eats merrick (canned) and he's lost weight, sheds less, and his fur is soft and glossy. I talked to a merrick rep and he said that the canned dog and cat food is actually pretty much the same formula (the cat food has a bit more meat and added taurine).

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:58 pm

concreterose wrote:I think the Merrick kibble (and canned) is a really good kibble. The Nature's Variety raw instinct looks good, but I'm not crazy about the protein level. I'm seeing lots of folks that raved over the EVO starting to have some pretty nasty situations and are taking their dogs off it.

what kind of stuff is going on with their dogs M?

Purplesauerous

Postby Purplesauerous » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:22 pm

I feed Nature's Variety and Merrick canned. My dogs literally dance at supper time!!

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:37 pm

pblove wrote:
concreterose wrote:I think the Merrick kibble (and canned) is a really good kibble. The Nature's Variety raw instinct looks good, but I'm not crazy about the protein level. I'm seeing lots of folks that raved over the EVO starting to have some pretty nasty situations and are taking their dogs off it.

Thinning coats, dry oily coats, gas, weight loss and kidney issues. A lot of them complain about excessive water drinking too.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Sounds like too much protein.

Frost

Postby Frost » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:14 pm

concreterose wrote:
pblove wrote:

Thinning coats, dry oily coats, gas, weight loss and kidney issues. A lot of them complain about excessive water drinking too.

how can you have a coat thats dry and oily at the same time?

and yes. sounds like the numbers are simply too high for that dog. Van flourishes on mostly protien (raw is 100% protien is it not? :p ) so im not seeing that issue with evo

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:34 pm

Frost wrote:
how can you have a coat thats dry and oily at the same time?

and yes. sounds like the numbers are simply too high for that dog. Van flourishes on mostly protien (raw is 100% protien is it not? :p ) so im not seeing that issue with evo

No. Raw meat is mostly water (about 78%). The average cut of lean raw red meat is about 20% protein and 1-3% fat.

Contrast that with the newer high-protein kibbles, which are approaching twice the protein percentage found in raw meat.

Also, Evo and other dry dog foods contain cooked protein, which is different than raw protein (more difficult for dogs to digest). Whether the food is extruded or baked, heat is still part of the manufacuturing process.

I had Lucy on Evo for about a week because I ran out of Timberwolf. I didn't notice any huge problems, but her water consumption increased dramatically. I didn't like the way the Evo smelled, either (like cat food!).

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Somewhere around here is info on Merrick that made me not go for it. The gist of it is...the kibble is very light - meaning not dense - and it requires larger portions. Considering that it isn't cheap, it moved to the back of the line for me.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:36 am

To me, the Merrick sounds like it has too much grain. The first ingredient is meat, but it's just "beef", meaning much of it's weight is water. (78%, apparently ;) ) The next 2 are grains, finally followed by beef meal (which won't contain water weight, so is much more actual meat than the "beef", but still weighs less than the oatmeal and the barley, let alone the 2 of them together), and then there's another grain. The other ingredients will be relatively small amounts.

Lots of grain. While I'm not as anti-grain as some, I do prefer to look for a food which contains a higher proportion of meat. Don't like the high protein diets either, so if my choice were one of these 2, I'd go for "neither".

There are better foods out there.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:12 pm

X-girl wrote:Somewhere around here is info on Merrick that made me not go for it. The gist of it is...the kibble is very light - meaning not dense - and it requires larger portions. Considering that it isn't cheap, it moved to the back of the line for me.

yep, your right
I bought a 15 pound bag, it is the same size as the 30 pound bags of other kibbles. To look at the bag, it looks huge, but very light.

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:00 am

I got some merrick samples from the local pet store and my dog didnt like it. I had to mix in some hamburger meat to get him to eat it so it looks like the merrick is out. I may try the raw instincts but that is alot of protein so not sure yet. May splurge and order timberwolf online and pay the high shipping charges.

Return to “Health Issues”