Dog Shampoo and grooming

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Rob H.

Dog Shampoo and grooming

Postby Rob H. » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:43 pm

Anyone care to share which dog shampoo they like best and why? I'd also like to know what grooming tools you find to be the best for bathing and brushing.

I've used quite a few different dog shampoos over the years and the best I've used thus far is Miracle Coat Premium Pet Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil. It takes down odors, makes white fur bright and black fur dark and shiny. Its also supposed to help deter fleas and my dog has never had fleas. I also like the shampoo's smell alot. I might be crazy but also seems like hairs that do shed after being treated with this shampoo don't stick to clothes as bad as when I tried other shampoos. I usually wash/rinse my dog twice just to be thorough but I usually only bath about every 2 or 3 months..

A member of another board I visit(tarantula related) who is and has been a professional groomer for the last 15 years recommended Kelco's "Filthy Dog" and "Black Star" shampoos to me. She said they were the two best shampoo formulas she ever used but said she never tried miracle coat. I just ordered them a few days ago to try and see if me and Charlie like them. I'll follow up on them if anybody else is interested.

Frost

Postby Frost » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:32 pm

depends on what the dog needs

for everyday light washing- Oatmeal

for greasy dogs or heavy thick coats - Coal tar

BEST conditioner ever

never really used the blueing or color specific shampoos. horse supply places probably have the best for that

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:40 pm

I used the Miracle Coat w/Tea Tree Oil years ago. I didn't like it much, it seemed to make my dogs fur stiff and dry, and kinda sticky. Maybe they've changer their formula by now tho.
I use Dr. Bronners liquid soap (I like the almond or lavender scent) when I do wash my dogs (which isn't very often), or this yummy smelling shampoo from Halo Pets.
Last edited by concreterose on Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:45 pm

We use the Cloud 9 Herbal Shampoo, too. I love the smell! For grooming we use nothing but the Kong Zoom Groom.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:21 pm

I use a locally made ostrich oil bar soap for washing and only use a zoom groom for brushing.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:23 pm

definitely the oatmella shampoo and keri-cot conditioner. best for the skin! doesnt dry them out

Igraine

Postby Igraine » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:24 pm

That conditioner, Frost, is fantastic - it's the only one we use for Rosie. It smells wonderfully like coconuts, and since we started using it, the flakes and dry skin problems (even during the winter) have cleared up amazingly!

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:54 pm

i've used the Cloud 9 and Dr. Bronner's Pure castille soap, and have liked them both.

amstaff

Postby amstaff » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:39 pm

hello everyone, a bit new here.

anyway, where i work, we use quadrupeds products. they do not contain any detergents, so are really gentle. in fact, at the risk of being made fun of, i will tell you that i use the yucca shampoo as my bodywash. the ingredients are much safer than any products ive used on myself.

on another forum, someone that shows her amstaffs LOVES the kelco line. i personally have not tried it though. the only other lines i have regularly dealt with was groomer's edge, eqyss, bark 2 basics, and e-z groom. e-z groom was the worst ive ever dealt with. lots of dogs had a reaction to those products.

i also use the zoom groom. best brush for short, sleek coats. ive been using the furminator on the cats, but it did nothing for dollie.

amstaff

Postby amstaff » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:40 pm

i forgot, we sell the halo line at work and i did take the cloud nine home once. it also was really great.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:05 pm

I'm not really too picky about shampoo. I have some horse shampoo (can't remember the name right now) that I used for Tully when I was showing her, it made her white parts whiter and intensified her colored parts. And it smells like berries. ;) But for everyday washing, I use pretty much whatever is handy. (I've mostly been washing them at a dog wash lately, so I use what they have there.)

With a hairier breed, or one prone to an oily coat (hounds) it might matter more to me. But not with these smooth coated guys.

I don't really brush them, but I have a hound glove around for if I want to run something over them before showing.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Johnson's Baby Wash!!!

Rob H.

Re: Dog Shampoo and grooming

Postby Rob H. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Rob H. wrote:
A member of another board I visit(tarantula related) who is and has been a professional groomer for the last 15 years recommended Kelco's "Filthy Dog" and "Black Star" shampoos to me. She said they were the two best shampoo formulas she ever used but said she never tried miracle coat. I just ordered them a few days ago to try and see if me and Charlie like them. I'll follow up on them if anybody else is interested.

I'm very pleased with the Kelco shampoos. The small size bottles I bought are concentrated but at the time of ordering I was under the impression that it was premixed. The 12oz bottle makes 3 gallons of shampoo. That makes the shampoo very economical considering that it was cheaper per bottle than I pay for Miracle coat and makes a whole lot more shampoo than I use for a long time. I wasn't sure which of the two shampoos I wanted to try first so I ended up mixing them both together. Charlie's coat came out very clean, soft and sleek. He feels smooth to the touch but not oily of greasy. His white areas were bright and his black pathes are dark and shiny. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Return to “Health Issues”