whats the normal timeline if a dog gets pregnet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
importracer_ky

whats the normal timeline if a dog gets pregnet

Postby importracer_ky » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:04 am

my friend gave me a female pitbull.she came in heat so i locked her up in the kennell but some how she mange to get on her house and jump over the kenell.well my neigbor called and said my dog was loose and when i went out around back low and behold there she was knotted up with my male pit.now im clueless on when they mate does it take more then once or should she be fine.she is now locked in the kenell with a new metal roof on it so she cant get out.whice if she is pregnet im not to worried because her and the pups would get the best care from the vet and my family loves the breed so there would be plenty of good homes.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:11 am

Pregnancy lasts about 63 days. You can get her spayed right now, despite the possibility of a pregancy, and not add more puppies into the world.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:37 am

She is probably pregnant, and as suggested, you should get her spayed immediately. Whatever homes you might think you would have, would probably fall through at the last minute.

Blue Steel

Re: whats the normal timeline if a dog gets pregnet

Postby Blue Steel » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:30 am

importracer_ky wrote:im clueless on when they mate does it take more then once or should she be fine.

No, it can happen the first time they tie. It depends on where she is in her cycle.

importracer_ky wrote:she is now locked in the kenell with a new metal roof on it so she cant get out.

DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!!! If she can't climb out, or dig out, she can still force her way out. Bulldogs are incredibly athletic and powerful dogs. If there's a way, she'll find it.

importracer_ky wrote:whice if she is pregnet im not to worried because her and the pups would get the best care from the vet and my family loves the breed so there would be plenty of good homes.

If you live in an area where you can have multiple dogs, AND be able to provide for them properly (worm at 2 wks, 3 wks, 4 wks, 6 wks, VACCINATE at 6 wks, worm at 8 wks, VACCINATE at 9 wks, worm at 10 weeks, and VACCINATE at 12 weeks {you can worm again at this time too, if needed}) then okay.. Also, for the vaccination, I would strongly suggest using a High Titer vaccine put out by Pfizer. DO NOT USE AN OFF BRAND OF VACCINE!!!! Spend the extra money and order a case (25 vials) still sealed from the manufacturer, from a REPUTABLE place and have it shipped Same Day (if possible) or at the latest Next Day delivery ON ICE. Don't trust your neighborhood feed store for this.

slechner

Postby slechner » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:35 am

why are you breeding these dogs anyway? it's not like there's a shortage of pits already. and with them being banned all over the place, what's the point???

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:38 am

slechner wrote:why are you breeding these dogs anyway? it's not like there's a shortage of pits already. and with them being banned all over the place, what's the point???

Sounds like it was accidental?
importracer_ky wrote:my friend gave me a female pitbull.she came in heat so i locked her up in the kennell but some how she mange to get on her house and jump over the kenell.well my neigbor called and said my dog was loose and when i went out around back low and behold there she was knotted up with my male pit.now im clueless on when they mate does it take more then once or should she be fine.she is now locked in the kenell with a new metal roof on it so she cant get out.whice if she is pregnet im not to worried because her and the pups would get the best care from the vet and my family loves the breed so there would be plenty of good homes.

Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:45 am

concreterose wrote:
slechner wrote:why are you breeding these dogs anyway? it's not like there's a shortage of pits already. and with them being banned all over the place, what's the point???

Sounds like it was accidental?
importracer_ky wrote:my friend gave me a female pitbull.she came in heat so i locked her up in the kennell but some how she mange to get on her house and jump over the kenell.well my neigbor called and said my dog was loose and when i went out around back low and behold there she was knotted up with my male pit.now im clueless on when they mate does it take more then once or should she be fine.she is now locked in the kenell with a new metal roof on it so she cant get out.whice if she is pregnet im not to worried because her and the pups would get the best care from the vet and my family loves the breed so there would be plenty of good homes.

Look at his other post though. How many would be truly concerned about their female not having a heat cycle if they didn't NEED that heat cycle for something?
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=32485

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:26 pm

hmmm...didn't see that one. Does he have more than one female or something :huh?:

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:42 pm

concreterose wrote:hmmm...didn't see that one. Does he have more than one female or something :huh?:

Yeah. I was rather confused by it as well.

slechner

Postby slechner » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:10 pm

sorry, i had read all the posts and it seemed to me that the breeding was intentional. plus this comment above:

when they mate does it take more then once or should she be fine

which i intrepreted to mean that being pregnant after a single opportunity was "fine".....

importracer_ky

Postby importracer_ky » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:53 pm

no i dont intend to breed i was just worried that she could have some infection or something wrong health wise .just wanted to know was it normal for some dogs to go like that.

as far the other ? about bredding the other female she got out of the kenell.

yes i have 2 females i started out with my male.and when i seen the brown female my wife feel in love with her so i got her.she stayed indoors until she started chewing everthing in the house up.and as far as the other female i knew a guy who breed her then after he sold all the pups he no longer wanted her so me and my father in law took her.i would rescue more pitbulls if i had the chance.i love the bred and a all around dog lover.

slechner

Postby slechner » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:11 pm

then i don't understand..... i mean, you have three adult, pet-quality pits and none of them are speutered. and now one might likely be pregnant. your local shelter is packed to the roof with "accidental" puppies--don't add to the problem and get her spayed asap.

Igraine

Postby Igraine » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:21 pm

If you love the breed and are an all-around dog lover, then spay the dog that was just accidentally bred, and immediately speuter the other two.

A chewing problem is often easily remedied by redirection and crate training when you're not home, and there are lots of folks here at PBF who can tell you how that's done, or direct you to information resources about it, so you can make your dogs indoor animals again. :thumbsup:

slechner

Postby slechner » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:37 pm

here's the pit bull breed-specific legislation they're looking at in KY.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... t=kentucky

if you're not in KY, just do a search in the "pit bull press" section to see if there is any in your neighborhood. or check out www.understand-a-bull.com.

they're being allowed in fewer and fewer places--which is why you keep hearing "spay" and "neuter" repeatedly. they're over-represented in the shelters and chained in backyards across this country. if we don't reduce the numbers voluntarily and become ambassadors of the breed, the politicians will make the decision for us.

i hope you understand my point.....

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:02 pm

whice if she is pregnet im not to worried because her and the pups would get the best care from the vet and my family loves the breed so there would be plenty of good homes.

Lucky you.Never heard of plenty of good homes for pit bulls here.Plenty of folks who get these dogs as cute puppies and then dump them when they become high maintenance.Also plenty of irresponsible people who keep intact dogs and then wonder about an accidental litter.
"It was an accident..".Right.
If someone decide to own 3 intact animals there better not be any accidental litter.Neuter/ spay=no accidental litter.Simple.

Return to “Health Issues”