whats the normal timeline if a dog gets pregnet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:49 pm

importracer_ky wrote:like i said if the dog was pregnet i know for fact the dogs will have good homes.they would be going to family not some stranger on the street.and when it comes to my dogs money means notthing i would clear my bank account to care for my dogs.we keep a poodle in the house that we had sine he was 6 months and he is almost 6 years old at the time and when he was young he got parvoe (sp?) and we spent almost 3 grand on the dog over a years time to make sure he would live,so dont think money would be any trouble to care for my dogs

Poodles don't kill other dogs. Poodles can't smash through solid oak doors going after a female in heat. Poodles don't scale 10 foot walls.
Poodles aren't in the media and under attack of Breed Specific Legislation. I could go on....see what i'm getting at here man? No one is calling your finances into question and if that was the measure of a good home we would all sleep better at night. Pitbulls require special education, for the owner and the dog, because of the special abilities and sometimes dangerous tendencies.

Without an intimate knowledge of the breed all of the warning signs of major trouble brewing could be right in front of your relatives noses and they wouldn't see it. They aren't good homes out of lack of knowledge, and good intentions don't cut it. I'm sure they are fine people but this goes farther than that. You yourself need this knowledge. how easy did you get into a possible litter. Multiply that by 8 within a year if your realtives, who know less than you, have the same luck. Do you have homes for 65-80 puppies this year? It's not personal. It's a numbers game happening everyday and 10-15 Million dead pitbulls a year say I'm right.

importracer_ky

Postby importracer_ky » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:58 pm

moto1320 wrote:
importracer_ky wrote:like i said if the dog was pregnet i know for fact the dogs will have good homes.they would be going to family not some stranger on the street.and when it comes to my dogs money means notthing i would clear my bank account to care for my dogs.we keep a poodle in the house that we had sine he was 6 months and he is almost 6 years old at the time and when he was young he got parvoe (sp?) and we spent almost 3 grand on the dog over a years time to make sure he would live,so dont think money would be any trouble to care for my dogs

Poodles don't kill other dogs. Poodles can't smash through solid oak doors going after a female in heat. Poodles don't scale 10 foot walls.
Poodles aren't in the media and under attack of Breed Specific Legislation. I could go on....see what i'm getting at here man? No one is calling your finances into question and if that was the measure of a good home we would all sleep better at night. Pitbulls require special education, for the owner and the dog, because of the special abilities and sometimes dangerous tendencies.

Without an intimate knowledge of the breed all of the warning signs of major trouble brewing could be right in front of your relatives noses and they wouldn't see it. They aren't good homes out of lack of knowledge, and good intentions don't cut it. I'm sure they are fine people but this goes farther than that. You yourself need this knowledge. how easy did you get into a possible litter. Multiply that by 8 within a year if your realtives, who know less than you, have the same luck. Do you have homes for 65-80 puppies this year? It's not personal. It's a numbers game happening everyday and 10-15 Million dead pitbulls a year say I'm right.
i get where you are coming from but what if theres a good side to this.what if my female had 8 puppys they all went the family my family gets thier pup fixed.the pups grow old with a caring family.everone looks at the negative and never the positive.if i had to i would keep them and have them fixed.and have more of this wonderful breed

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:59 pm

importracer_ky wrote:i get where you are coming from but what if theres a good side to this.what if my female had 8 puppys they all went the family my family gets thier pup fixed.the pups grow old with a caring family.everone looks at the negative and never the positive.if i had to i would keep them and have them fixed.and have more of this wonderful breed

Because those 8 puppies just caused 8 potentially adoptable purebred dogs sitting in a local shelter to die because they didn't have a home to go to.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:00 am

How about the uber-positive? 8 relatives go to the shelter and give 8 homeless dogs a wonderful, loving home so they can live happy lives. Why create more lives to worry about? There are more homeless dogs than any of us can handle thinking about.

importracer_ky

Postby importracer_ky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:03 am

and for the people assuming my dogs male and 1 female are from byb they came from Corona Kennels in tennesse.and they both came with a 2year health/hip warranty

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:05 am

.but i paid big money for my frist male and female pit so if i want to keep the option open to breed them somewhere down the line i have that right.

Somewhere down the line I hope you have the guts to walk into a shelter and take a look at all the pit bulls who are waiting for euthanasia.Cute puppies as well, nothing wrong with them, there are just too many..Maybe somewhere down the line those of you who are thinking of throwing more pups out there and whine when they get told they should spay and neuter their animals will learn how it feels to see wonderful dogs being destroyed just because human beings suck.It feels bad, it brakes your heart, it is overwhelming, you are disgusted by those who are responsible for this.But what do you know?

what i want to know everone can sit at a computer and bitch about getting a dog sprayed but how many of you have done something to help other then get your dog sprayed.
how many have made donations to animals groups trying to find owners of pets thats was lost in katrina?

Oh dear, some of us do more than that.Some of us invest time, money and energy to help these dogs.Some can do little, some can do more.Some do nothing and yet yap.
I have a Katrina dog here, since you mentioned the Katrina thing.I am sponsoring his neuter surgery next week.At the moment I have two fosters who never found a decent home (yeah, the good homes you seem to find so easily, I did not find a single one so those dogs are still here) plus a female who was dumped in the streets at the age of 3 months.And yes, I donate to groups who understand the ethic involving these dogs.I paid for dogs who aren't mine, two pit bull in the neighborhood here were spayed because I handed the money for it.I am doing nothing compared to what others do.So there... here is how I can bitch and will continue to do so.
Back to you...neuter and spay those animals if you care about this breed.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:09 am

Information taken from Pets4you.com about "Corona Kennels":

Corona Kennels, American Pit Bull Terriers Puppies For Sale! 2 year guarantee. CKC/ADBA registered. Bloodlines include: Gotti, Blue Demon & Madd Latinz. Blues, blue-fawns & brindles. Stud service available. Se Habla Espanol.

Unless the CKC is the Canadian Kennel Club, they're registered with at one crap registry/one fairly reputable one. However, their site only states they breed Dogo Canarios. :roll: No mention of health testing on those dogs either heck, that's not even it. No working/conf. titles either.
Last edited by ShadowWolf on Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

importracer_ky

Postby importracer_ky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:12 am

well people its been fun im glad you all helped with the ?on topic.if my female has a litter of pups i will be sure to take a picture for you all.maybe if i have anymore health ? i can find a forum that might help with the ?on topic.
Last edited by importracer_ky on Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:13 am

importracer_ky wrote:and for the people assuming my dogs male and 1 female are from byb they came from Corona Kennels in tennesse.and they both came with a 2year health/hip warranty

You mean this Corona Kennels? Guess they got tired of breeding APBTs and have now moved onto the Dogo Canario. They did at one point breed APBTs, but not any more.

Yup, real responsible. Looks like a fad breeder to me.

No listing of any APBTs or ASTs with the kennel name "Corona" in the OFA database, and that means they don't test the hips of their stock, at least not with the OFA.

Good luck to you and your upcoming litter. I hope the future is as bright and shiny and certain for those puppies as you believe it is. Dogs live for a long time, and APBTs can get into lots of mischief if they don't have the right owners. It takes way, way more than just liking the breed to be the responsible owner of an American Pit Bull Terrier.
Last edited by rgyoung777 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:13 am

importracer_ky wrote:and for the people assuming my dogs male and 1 female are from byb they came from Corona Kennels in tennesse.and they both came with a 2year health/hip warranty

Corona Kennels that breed Dogo Canarios? Why doesn't their website say anything about APBTs yet they advertise APBT pups for sale on http://www.pets4you.com?

importracer_ky

Postby importracer_ky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:14 am

rgyoung777 wrote:

You mean this Corona Kennels? Guess they got tired of breeding APBTs and have now moved onto the Dogo Canario. They did at one point breed APBTs, but not any more.

No listing of any APBTs or ASTs with the kennel name "Corona" in the OFA database.
did you read how long i had my dogs.

greenkozi
Bully Ambassador

Postby greenkozi » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:15 am

one of the dogs i posted about in the other post in general was a situation similar to yours- a guy rescued his dog at about a year old. he was a really nice guy. he kept this dog for 6 years. he seemed like a poor/decent dog owner to me, probably thought he was a great owner. the dog was not allowed to live inside because his wife was asthmatic. after 5 years, the family moved, and their fencing wasn't enough to keep a strong, atheltic, smart, bored pit bull contained. the bully kept escaping, and doing what bullies will do- being aggressive towards small things like chickens, cats, squirrels, when he was out patrolling the neighborhood without his owner.

the owner came to the shelter when he k new he couldn't do anythign else for his dog. we couldn't put up a 7 year old animal aggressive pit bull for adoption. i euthanized this guy's family pet.

i hear that you don't think that any puppy you could possibly produce could possibly end up in a situatoin like this, but let me tell you, it happens to even really nice people, like this guy. he wasn't super edcuated about what owning a pit bull was all about (i wish i could have talked to him 6 years ago, before he thought all a bully needed was 3 acres and a fence), but he did care about his dog, and he wasn't just going to pawn the problem off on someone else.

this guy could be your friend, who one of your pups goes to. maybe not next week, or next year, but in 6 years, when you guys have lost touch. and the stranger who euthanizes him may not be as caring about pit bulls as i am. if i hadn't asked for a release for euthanasia, that dog would have had to sit for 5 days in the shelter before dieing with strangers. i tried to make dying nice for him. isn't that a terrible thought?

i hear that you think kentucky is different, but it's not. BSL (breed specific legislation ) that targets pit bulls, and to a small extent, their owners, is coming to kentucky, too. are you ready to back up all of the owners of the pups you produce from this accidental tying when their dogs are suddenly not allowed in their apartments, or not covered by their homeowner's insurance anymore? if not, then i suspect another shelter worker like me will see them in a pound near you, soon.

it sucks to have all of this come out so soon after you registered on pbf. this is a great place, and a lot of people give good advice. the best advice you got was to spay your female. and instead of hearing that and reading up on WHY people might be suggesting that, you got to hear all this other shizzle, instead. maybe sleep on it, and then call your vet. :thumbsup: since money isn't an issue, you can afford to take your dogs to your vet, instead of a cheap local clinic. they'll be comfortable, and safe, and the kennel will be a lot more likely to hold them if you don't have bitches coming in and out of season every couple months.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:16 am

importracer_ky wrote:.it just piss's me off that i came here to ask a ? for a concern of mine and everone starts with the spayed and assume im a byb.

You are a byb. You are the very definition of a byb. You are breeding dogs for no reason other than you have them, and you can. Because yes, you have bred those dogs. If a tie was achieved, the likelihood is extremely high that the bitch is pregnant. You left them in a situation where this could happen, you aren't willing to do what's necessary to prevent it, so you are a breeder. You haven't done anything to make yourself a responsible breeder, so you are a byb.

I assume the pups will be going to wonderful homes like the person who gave the dog to you after it had a litter and they didn't want it anymore? Why do you think the homes you supposedly have for the pups will be any more permanent?

And no, before you ask, my own bitch is not currently spayed. She recently had a litter. The bitch in question has 17 titles in conformation, obedience, agility, and weight pull; plus she has a CGC and temperament certification. She has had her hips, elbows, and eyes screened and certified by official organizations (not just a vet saying she was "okay"). She is also not a pit bull, she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a much less common breed. I wouldn't have bred her if she were an APBT.

As it is, after carefully picking the perfect sire to complement her traits, paying dearly for artificial insemination, ultrasound (you were planning to have an ultrasound in a few weeks, right? It's essential to see if things are going okay), x-ray to count the puppies (you were planning on that, right? If you don't know how many puppies, you can't know if they're all out, a dead puppy left inside could kill her), and myriad other little things, my bitch went into whelp early. Fortunately I was there (you do have the ability to take time off to be with her, don't you? Can't leave them alone, if something goes wrong, the bitch could die before you arrive), since it's difficult for me to arrange time off on short notice, I took a 2 week vacation to deliver the pups.

Good thing, as the last 2 didn't come out on their own (remember that x-ray? This is why.), so I had to run her out to the vet to deal with it. I narrowly avoided a C-section, so my total cost for emergency vet care to get the last 2 pups out was only $200 (my vet is very reasonable.) The vets were super about taking time with my pups, and noticing that they weren't doing well. They showed me how to tube feed the weak ones. Good thing I had 2 weeks off, I was trying to keep puppies alive. One survived, and after 2 weeks or so, I was finally able to sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch. Of course, it took me a while to get used to doing so again.

Luckily for me, my bitch is just fine. Anyway, I hope you're ready for possibilities like that, because anything can happen in a pregnancy. Not that the world needs these puppies you have bred, but I'd hate to see anything happen to your bitch because you weren't prepared. And I can tell you, watching a pup who you've stuffed down your shirt to keep warm slowly die is not a particularly fun experience. My new motto:
"Dead puppies aren't any fun."

My own bitch will be spayed when my very expensive new puppy is weaned. Wish I'd just bought a puppy, it would have been cheaper and a lot less heartbreaking.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:20 am

importracer_ky wrote:
rgyoung777 wrote:

No listing of any APBTs or ASTs with the kennel name "Corona" in the OFA database.
did you read how long i had my dogs.

Sure did. What does that have to do with my post?

The kennel you bought your dogs from is not a responsible breeder. That was my only point.

importracer_ky

Postby importracer_ky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:23 am

Sarah wrote:
importracer_ky wrote:.it just piss's me off that i came here to ask a ? for a concern of mine and everone starts with the spayed and assume im a byb.

You are a byb. You are the very definition of a byb. You are breeding dogs for no reason other than you have them, and you can. Because yes, you have bred those dogs. If a tie was achieved, the likelihood is extremely high that the bitch is pregnant. You left them in a situation where this could happen, you aren't willing to do what's necessary to prevent it, so you are a breeder. You haven't done anything to make yourself a responsible breeder, so you are a byb.

I assume the pups will be going to wonderful homes like the person who gave the dog to you after it had a litter and they didn't want it anymore? Why do you think the homes you supposedly have for the pups will be any more permanent?

And no, before you ask, my own bitch is not currently spayed. She recently had a litter. The bitch in question has 17 titles in conformation, obedience, agility, and weight pull; plus she has a CGC and temperament certification. She has had her hips, elbows, and eyes screened and certified by official organizations (not just a vet saying she was "okay"). She is also not a pit bull, she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a much less common breed. I wouldn't have bred her if she were an APBT.

As it is, after carefully picking the perfect sire to complement her traits, paying dearly for artificial insemination, ultrasound (you were planning to have an ultrasound in a few weeks, right? It's essential to see if things are going okay), x-ray to count the puppies (you were planning on that, right? If you don't know how many puppies, you can't know if they're all out, a dead puppy left inside could kill her), and myriad other little things, my bitch went into whelp early. Fortunately I was there (you do have the ability to take time off to be with her, don't you? Can't leave them alone, if something goes wrong, the bitch could die before you arrive), since it's difficult for me to arrange time off on short notice, I took a 2 week vacation to deliver the pups.

Good thing, as the last 2 didn't come out on their own (remember that x-ray? This is why.), so I had to run her out to the vet to deal with it. I narrowly avoided a C-section, so my total cost for emergency vet care to get the last 2 pups out was only $200 (my vet is very reasonable.) The vets were super about taking time with my pups, and noticing that they weren't doing well. They showed me how to tube feed the weak ones. Good thing I had 2 weeks off, I was trying to keep puppies alive. One survived, and after 2 weeks or so, I was finally able to sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch. Of course, it took me a while to get used to doing so again.

Luckily for me, my bitch is just fine. Anyway, I hope you're ready for possibilities like that, because anything can happen in a pregnancy. Not that the world needs these puppies you have bred, but I'd hate to see anything happen to your bitch because you weren't prepared. And I can tell you, watching a pup who you've stuffed down your shirt to keep warm slowly die is not a particularly fun experience. My new motto:
"Dead puppies aren't any fun."

My own bitch will be spayed when my very expensive new puppy is weaned. Wish I'd just bought a puppy, it would have been cheaper and a lot less heartbreaking.
frist off you dont fizzle know me so dont call me a BYB.and for your info if i had to take off work i could but guess what i have a wife that is at home all the time that could watch after the mother and babies.until you no me dont go calling me a byb.futher more why did you breed you female :roll: maybe for the $$$$$$$

Return to “Health Issues”