When it comes to treats...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

When it comes to treats...

Postby Ursa Arctos » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:33 pm

When it comes to treats- does anything really go? Most of us like to avoid certain brands of dog food, does the same go for treats? I'd imagine it would be wise to stay away from any treats that have corn as a main ingredient- but anything else? Can treats be fillers since they are "treats"?

Any suggestions as to how many treats are too many per day?

Any high praise for certain brands, or bad reviews on others?

I know "greenies" is supposed to be good for your dogs teeth, but both of them won't even touch them.

Thanks!

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:45 pm

Greenies make both my dogs puke, everytime.
I make dog treats when I have time, but otherwise I use Benny Bully's Liver treats from training. They are just dehydrated liver (you can get heart too), so no worries about fillers or preservatives.
I also give them Wellness cookies or Eagle Pack Holistix, but only 1 or 2 a day.
I actually noticed that they started getting itchy feet when I had a bag of some other kind of treat which contained corn, so I try to stick with healthy cookies that live up to the same standard I would look for in a kibble if I fed it.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:58 pm

pitgrrl wrote:... I try to stick with healthy cookies that live up to the same standard I would look for in a kibble if I fed it.

Same here.

Here are a few examples of Lola's favorites: OMH Liver Meaties, OMH Assorted Flavors, and Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits Tricky Trainers

Greenies are becoming more and more known as a cause of impactions so don't worry that your dogs don't like them. Lola enjoyed them as a puppy but seemed to lose her taste for them right about the time I found out about the impactions so that worked out well.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:52 pm

I agree, if you feed good food, then I would think that the treats should be the same.

I personally make all of my own dog treats because I have one dog who is allergic to cooked meats and one that is allergic to wheat. Most commercial dog cookies have either of the above.

I usually boil some chicken livers and then cut them up and sprinkle with garlic powder and then bake until hard. I keep them in the freezer and they get a few a day. I also whiz up beef liver with some fresh garlic in my food processor and put in my dehydrator.

I make dog biscuits with rice flour or any other type of gluten free flour I find.

My dogs love their treats but drive me crazy while they are baking.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:18 pm

I mainly use people food (hard or string cheese, baked liver, or carrots) because Pookie can't have grain but I use the Solid Gold Tiny Tots or Turkey/Lamb Jerky for training w/Vicki. I like the OMH treats too, but greedy craze-0 gulps them down and hacks them back up :yucky:

pits in 4-H
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pits in 4-H » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:48 pm

My problem with treats is that most purchased treats are way TOO BIG for training if that is what you are looking for treats for.

We encourage our kids training to get treats that their dogs think is to die for, cut them the size of a green pea and have lots of them for training. Dog only get a tiny taste treat and lots of praise unless they get a jackpot then it is several treats at once.

My dogs love hotdogs (we cut them really small) nuked in the microwave til not greasy, kind of hard really. Something that most of our kids can do, and people food, which most dogs go crazy for.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:57 pm

Yeah, most are too big for training. That's why we like the OMH Bitz and the Buddy Biscuits I posted above - they are a better size for that use than most.

We also bought a roll of the Natural Balance food and cut that up into teeny-tiny pieces for working on her heeling.

I also forgot to mention that we used Pounce! Cat Treats for her during obedience classes. lol

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:23 am

pits in 4-H wrote:My problem with treats is that most purchased treats are way TOO BIG for training if that is what you are looking for treats for.

We encourage our kids training to get treats that their dogs think is to die for, cut them the size of a green pea and have lots of them for training. Dog only get a tiny taste treat and lots of praise unless they get a jackpot then it is several treats at once.

My dogs love hotdogs (we cut them really small) nuked in the microwave til not greasy, kind of hard really. Something that most of our kids can do, and people food, which most dogs go crazy for.

This is why I use the solid gold treats, they are soft and can be broken into very small pieces. Cheese can be broken up really small too.

Fanatic
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Fanatic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:05 pm

The ones I use a lot are the Beggin' Strips. They can be broken up into tiny pieces and my dog loves 'em. I don't know how healthy they are, though.

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:25 pm

Beggin Strips have a lot of junk in them. That's one of the brands we said goodbye to after Tiny became diabetic and I got on a health food kick for them. Freeze dried chicken jerky strips, solid gold lamb treats or liver are always a hit. Low carbs and very high in protein.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:13 pm

I use the treats made by Old Mother Hubbard. I can get them in bulk like at a health food store and they come out cheaper than the crap treats.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:58 am

i use bull pizzle... the meat from the arm... it lasts a lil bit.

Return to “Health Issues”