Worried: Vomit & Coughing

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Worried: Vomit & Coughing

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:19 pm

Hi all,

Koya will be going to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment, but I am worried about her, and was wondering if anyone has experience with these symptoms?

When we adopted her a year ago, she was going through the last of kennel cough. It seemed to clear up fine. About six months into having her (last Spring), she began coughing after exercise. I had heard that it could be a symptom of heartworm, but her tests came back negative, and I thought she was just getting too excited after playing. In retrospect, I see that I should have been more persitant in trying to figure out what was going on.

Long story short... On Christmas day, she travelled to my mom's with us. She hadn't been in a car in awhile, and was very exicted about the whole thing. She spent a good portion of the afternoon coughing, and vomiting/coughing out this white foamy looking liquid. I thought that it was because she hadn't eaten (very sensitive tummy), and worked on calming her down and getting her to eat. She eventually stopped coughing, and relaxed for a nap.

Two nights ago, I took her into the backyard to play with her laser pointer. She loves to chase that thing, and runs herself ragged trying to get it. Again, there was long bouts of coughing, and white foamy vomit.

Yesturday, my roomate arrived home from work about an hour before us. He let her out to pee, and promptly fell asleep while forgetting to let her back in (still fuming angry about that). When she came back in, she was frantic. She couldn't catch her breath at all, and it sounded like high-pitched wheezing. There was no vomit, just a little bit of coughing.

After the last incident, it finally dawned on me that these have not been random coughing spells, and that there may be a problem with her. I have been trying to do some reading on it, and her symptoms seem to fit in with bronchitis (sp?), but could also be indicative of something wrong with her heart. Has anybody else gone through this? I am really hoping that it is the bronchitis because that is easily treatable (I believe).

Also, I am not sure if this is related to this or not, but this dog has no endurance at all. She is barely 2, and cannot run or play harder than for a few minutes (maybe 3-4 minutes) before having to lay down and pant for a good hour or so. Is this due to the fact that she just hasn't been built up her endurance, or should I also mention this to the vet?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I am abit of a worry-wart. :roll:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:22 pm

yes, please tell the vet all this.
I hope you can get her an appointment soon.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:22 pm

I'd be worried. These are serious symptoms. A heart problem seems most likely, but obviously, I'm not a vet, and if I were, I wouldn't diagnose over the internet.

Get her to the vet ASAP, and keep us informed.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:28 pm

If it were just the coughing I'd worry about respiratory infection or congestive heart issues. I'd get her into the vet in the next couple days if I were you.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:39 pm

Vets as soon as possible..

I had the pleasure on christmas eve going to the E-vet for sneezes, runny nse. URI.. and he's finally feeling back to normal..yay..

but GL

keep us updated.

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. I will be calling the vet as soon as they open tommorow. I will let you know how she does. :sad:

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Best of luck, Wednesday. I hope everything is OK.

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Koya's appointment is on Monday at 4. The lady on the phone said that it sounded like it could be her heart, and to try and keep her calm over the weekend. If things get any worse, we are to go to their E-vet.

Pretty bummed out that this was the soonest I could get the appointment for. Wish us luck. :sad:

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Poor girly - I hope you get everything worked out and its nothing too serious! :hug:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:54 pm

oh I am sorry, will keep you in very postive thoughts/prayers here. :sad:

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 pm

We just got back from the vets, and I don't know much yet. The vet listened to Koya's chest, and did not hear a heart mummur or arrythmia (sp?). Koya did cough while the vet was listening to her chest, and she said it sounded "deep". She checked her temperature, and that was fine.
The vet suggested a ECG, as well as a chext x-ray which will be done on Wednesday morning.
I don't really know what to think right now. I am really hoping that we will find out what is causing this on Wednesday. Is there anything else that I should request to be done, or should we be able to tell when we get the results of the ECG and x-ray? I know nothing about these conditions in dogs (though I have been reading everything I can), and am feeling a little lost. :sad:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:34 am

:hug: I don't have any more info for you, but our thoughts are with you and Koya. I wish you the best.
Please keep us informed.

BTW: The avatar is GREAT! :inlove:

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:39 am

I know just about as much as you do. Good luck! :hug:

Sangelic
Newborn Bully

Postby Sangelic » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:39 pm

I went through something similar with my girl, and she turned out to have a heart murmur, but even the vet said she was lucky to have found it b/c it was hard to detect. She just got chest x-rays done, but my vet and the "cardiac expert" have conflicting opinions about what might be going on :huh?: so now it's like a guessing game....ugh

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:47 pm

Sangelic wrote:I went through something similar with my girl, and she turned out to have a heart murmur, but even the vet said she was lucky to have found it b/c it was hard to detect. She just got chest x-rays done, but my vet and the "cardiac expert" have conflicting opinions about what might be going on :huh?: so now it's like a guessing game....ugh

So, they don't really know what's wrong with her? That would be terrible. Maybe you should ask for an ECG? I hope you figure it out. Worrying about your baby's heart being bad is hard to deal with it. I hope your pup is okay too. :sad:

Return to “Health Issues”