Daisy may have Lymphoma....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
moto1320

Daisy may have Lymphoma....

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:47 pm

So, all of the sudden Daisy gets this massive lump on her neck on the left side under her chin thats bigger than a golf ball inside of about 24 hours, if that. I scratch her under her chin all the time and she lifts her head up pulling the skin taught so it's not like I could have missed this. She jumped in bed with me last night and I started scratching her and was like WTF?! Here is this massive lump.

I just got into town so I called around and found out who was probably the best vet in town. They aspirated it today and gave me some antibiotics. The vet didn't have much in the way of hope though. What she saw from the aspiration and the rate at which it is growing (it was bigger when I picked her up from the vet after work), she doesn't think this is going to go well and pretty much started preparing me for the worst. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and have it removed and biopsyed. If it is what they think it is, with Prednisone I may have her for 2 or 3 more months. With thousands and thousands on Chemo I may buy 9 months to a year.

I hope this goes well. I don't know what I will do if I lose her...she has been the light in my life through the last, and probably hardest year, I have lived. She is necessary to me. I still think about Riley all the time...that would be 2 dogs in 4 years both around 3. I'm going to start a BYB massacre...So, keep your fingers crossed and pray for my little girl. I'm an athiest but Daisy may have other ideas and no need for her to miss out on my part... :\

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:54 pm

OMG, I so hope this is a false alarm! Our thoughts are with you both.

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Good luck, Daisy! I hope she's okay. :sad:

Purplesauerous

Postby Purplesauerous » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:59 pm

OMG, I saw lymphoma and had to read....my thoughts are with you, pm me if you want, I lost my Petey, the love of my life to lymphoma, in July of 04.....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:23 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. We will keep our fingers crossed for good news. Please keep us updated!

:hug: & :smooch: for Daisy

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Oh that is awful....you and Daisy will be in my thoughts :hug:

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Shes only 3? Maybe its just an infection. A lot of the times with lymphoma you will see all of the lymph nodes swollen. So who knows! Keep it positive and i wish you the best of luck....Hugs and bully kisses to Daisy!

Sonya

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks guys....I'm always a mother hen when it comes to the slightest thing with the dogs...So, I'm used to vets never alluding to anything without conclusive evidence and pretty much telling me to chill until. This lady stayed after work to talk with me and didn't mince words. Even down to the end with Riley there was still hopeful options offered. I have been wondering alot if this is horrible bedside manner or the hard line?

You know whats bizarre, I had the same thing as Daisy in the exact same place about 8 years ago and they told me I most likely Lymphoma...that's what's keeping me hopeful despite the conversation they had with me tonight.

Purplesauerous

Postby Purplesauerous » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:48 pm

Please don't wait a couple of weeks to have the lump removed, do it ASAP. If it is lymphoma, it is one of the fastest moving cancers your dog can have.
I'm not trying to be negative, I am just looking out for you, my experience with lymphoma has not been the happiest.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:49 pm

I am sorry that you are so stressed out about this, I would be too. I hope for the best and I will be your co-pilot on the BYB massacre (hey--you take the west side of GA and I will cover the east and we can meet in the middle)....seriously...thoughts and prayers to you and Daisey hang in there.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:26 pm

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to read this and I hope it is a false alarm. I know what you went thru with Riley. Good thoughts sent her way and I hope Daisy is ok.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:37 pm

I am so very sorry and hoping and praying it is a wrong diagnosis!
I rescued my first pit bull when he was around 10 days old, vets said no way would he survive, well we had 13 years together, he is my reason for the love of this breed.
He was the all time love of my lfie, smartest and best dog I hae ever emt, my reason ti lkvie under some terrible circumstances.
I saw a lump on him on the weekend, but Monday wwe wee at the vet, lymphoma, vet said I woudl be lukcy ot get 23 weeks as fast as it was spreading/
I went straight to a holistic vet and managed to have 6 weeks more weeks with him, then the pain got too bad and I took him to my vet for the last time.
I really thought I would grieve myself to death, still cry over him . But he is the reason I now have my Paige too, so I go on with her.
Many have told me that by the time we notice the lumps it is so far spread, that is why the time is short.
Please, do not wait to have it biopsied if you can, time is critical with this terrbile type of cancer.
I hope I was not wrong in sharing this story with you, but want you to know that you have others here that are pulling for your beloved Daisey.
I will keep her in my positive thoughts and prayers.
Stay strong, and again, I am so sorry to hear of this terrible news.
:hug: :hug: :hug:
Dam you byb, dam you!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:25 am

I hope everything works out Ok and it is a false alarm. Keep us posted

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:31 am

I see what your saying about an immediate biopsy. What the vet told me was pretty much that if it was presnt it wasn't going to matter one way or the other. If it was a beatable cancer then we would have to at fast but at the rate this is growing, if it is cancer, then it's neither here nor there. I'm calling today to see if i can go ahead and start the Prednisone regardsless. Pretty much it is a rediculous infection that will be wiped out by the antibiotics or it's going to take her in the same time frame. Unfortunately, the biopsy is just to get a final answer, it won't actually have anything to do with prolonging her life or curing her.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:49 pm

:sad:
Sorry to hear this Moto. Hopefully it is a false alarm.

I have read you talk about Daisy for a while now and can see how dearly you love your dog. I feel for ya man....

Return to “Health Issues”