Collapsing dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Collapsing dog

Postby Red » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 pm

My 15 years old little mutt collapsed about one hour ago.I fed him and noticed he did not eat much.I went to take him out to potty and as soon as he got out I heard him cough like he had something in his throat.So I watched him trough the door glass and saw him go down.He took 4 steps, lost his balance and sat down.From there he laid on his side, got all stiff and arched his back.I thought he had a heart attack and I started to compress his chest.He peed on himself while he was down.I told my husband to get the SUV keys to run him to the emergency clinic although I honestly thought he was dieing.He was down for one minute and then got up like nothing happened.He walked around, finished to pee and looked for his ball.I took him in, took his temperature (no fever) and offered him some warn broth and food.He ate everything and he is now sleeping next to me.
There has been no symptoms, he was fine all day and he is fine now.When younger he did this a couple of times when playing with his ball and got too excited and overheated.But he was just sleeping in the bedroom before I took him outside earlier..It was back when my parents had him and I did not witness that but I was told about it.
I called the emergency clinic and they simply said to take him to the vet tomorrow since he is now doing fine.But what the heck happened?
Any idea?It is chilli outside but only around 45 degrees so the difference of temperature wasn't enough to cause a shock or something like that.
My older female had an upper respiratory infection last week, after she was already treated for the kennel cough she got when my other female and a foster were boarded in kennel (back in October and the two dogs were vaccinated).The female was treated and recovered.Since Toby (the old mutt) coughed tonight I think he might have gotten what Ice had but is that enough to collapse like that?

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:54 pm

I honestly have no idea or experience with health issues. I hope he is okay. Could it possibly have been a seizure?

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:00 am

sounds like a siezure of some sort especially because of his age...keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing serious.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:12 am

Oh no, Red, I hope Toby is okay. :(

I'm a phonecall away if you need someone to talk to... :hug:

Please let us know what the vet says. It could be a combination of things, or it might just be due to his old age.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you two. Give Toby a hug for me.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:23 am

Jp wrote:I honestly have no idea or experience with health issues. I hope he is okay. Could it possibly have been a seizure?
That is what I was thinking too.
Hope Toby is feeling better!

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 am

Oh Red - that sounds like a seizure :sad: I hope Toby is feeling better today :hug:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:43 am

Oh no not that precious little Toby!
It sounds like a seizue or his heart. Stay well littel guy. :pray :hug:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:40 pm

Update? Is Toby OK today?

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Sounds like a friends epilleptic dog, excitement always set the poor dog off. Sorry to hear the little guy has to go through that. Should be easy to regulate with meds if that is what it is. Sending good thoughts to you and Toby.

dr961
Super Bully

Re: Collapsing dog

Postby dr961 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Red wrote:My 15 years old little mutt collapsed about one hour ago...I thought he had a heart attack and I started to compress his chest. Since Toby (the old mutt) coughed tonight I think he might have gotten what Ice had but is that enough to collapse like that?

***I would think a brief disruption in heart rhythm might have caused this. My late Dobe had an episode similar to Toby's about 6 months before she died of a heart attack. She was running around normally, then just fell over, got up after about a minute, and seemed ok. She also had had what looked like a seizure a couple of times between age 3 and 7. I never had any heart tests done on her, as I assumed her problems were due to epilepsy--bad assumption on my part.

Coughing in old dogs can be a symptom of heart trouble, and angina (heart pain) in dogs can look a lot like a seizure. In a 15 year old dog, some degree of heart trouble isn't unusual. You might want to check with you vet and see what he suggests.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks for the opinions.
I ended up driving to the emergency clinic last night and after a big bill for quite some tests and 5 hours there nobody knew what was wrong with him.
They had no sure explanation for the cough nor what happened.They checked some parameters with blood work and took x-rays of chest and abdomen since the vet thought he could have a mild pancretitis.They did not see anything abnormal on them.
So today I took him to one of my regular vets and they did a serum chem test and an ECG plus some more blood work.He was there all day and they think it could be a brain tumor.To make sure I have to take him to do a brain scan.The vet also said that he is in unusual good shape for a 15 years old dog and it might be the time his brain starts giving up.It could be a seizure due some inbalance in his brain (cancer being a possibility) or God knows what.He is becoming deaf, I knew that already but he has always been good with hand signals so we communicate just fine.
They gave me valium to give rectally if another seizure comes.Then, as nice as they could, they told me that if the sizures are getting regular and for longer time he might get into an unconscious status and I will have to take him to the emergency clinic and probably have him put to sleep.
I know Toby had a very good and long life but I am not ready for him to leave me.I also don't want him to die at a vet clinic but at home, with us.
I have no experience with seizures so I don't know how hard they are on a dog and if he would suffer.If he does then I will have to find the courage to let him go.

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:42 am

Poor Toby. I am sorry that you are going through this, Red. Even though he has lived a long life the choice is not easy. We have a 13 year old here with us who is started to have more bad days than good, and we have to think about "when" daily. My heart goes out to you. :sad:

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:55 am

I am so sorry :hug:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:02 am

I am sorry your old man is having a tough time. Seizures can really vary, depending on their severity. I cared for a dog I bred that had seizures for about 6 months, while his owner couldn't keep him. He had grand mal seizures, sometimes he would become incontinent. He would be groggy and disoriented for about 20 minutes after the seizure, then he would sleep a few hours.
It may have been mentioned earlier, but other dogs can respond strongly to a dog seizing, and may attack it. Sometimes you can tell if the dog is going to seize shortly, they may look distressed, may hold their body differently. W/Gryphon, he would have a facial expression that gave me about 30 seconds warning, I could make sure he was someplace secure.
I guess one of my concerns, as I watch my son's 13 1/2 year old dog, is that she already shows signs of getting confused more easily, and this is distressing to her. I hate to say that you will have to wait and see how he reacts, but.
Having a soft and washable place where you can put your boy, should he seize, would be good. Sometimes they bang their heads, or get bruised or scraped as they drop.
It is definitely harder on us to watch, though.

Boo439

Postby Boo439 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:44 am

Toby's episode sounds just like Toda's seizures. His trigger is excitement and he doesn't flail around, he just collapses and gets really stiff. It's really scary to watch. Since he's been on Phenobarb, he hasn't had a seizure.

Return to “Health Issues”