Collar rubbing fur off

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Collar rubbing fur off

Postby r6nikki » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:40 pm

Does anyone else have this happen?

Since Toda has such fine/thin hair on his body 'his throut' especially it seems that right under his neck the fur gets rubbed right off in small spots... First, he does not wear his collar indoors 'most of the time' Only when we go out for walks/car rides/potty runs/training/playing etc..
We have him in a properly fitting nylon/chain martingale collar. (think flat nylon collar with a triangle of chain where you clip the leash) it's probably about 1.5 inches wide. I think that for the short time he is wearing the collar and the leash is not attached the chain part falls to the bottom 'gravity' and rubs off the fur.. Anyway, it's not hurting him per se, BUT his neck looks fairly ugly and has little red marks/missing fur right on his throut... I suppose I could whip out the digital and take a photo later... It's not like he is in pain from it... It just 'looks' a little uncomfy etc. Would you say putting him in a different collar until the fur grows back? Or don't worry about it because it happens with your dogs too? Also, I'm on occasion' for the last 2 weeks have been using a prong collar during training' Which I think contributes to the redness... For those of you that don't know, Toda has VERY sensitive skin, and has has skin problems in the past... Including demodex 3 times in 2005... And, YES the collars fit properly and I know how to use them correctly :thumbsup:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:16 pm

I had that problem with Elmo. His skin is also sensitive, though he never had any specific problems (like demodex) with it. When he wore a collar regularly, he always had missing hair and redness from it. This is a good part of the reason my dogs don't wear collars in the house. It was the worst when I was using a chain training collar (which I didn't leave on him)

I think the chain on the collar you're using is the culprit. I recommend that you switch to a different style. I'd make it a permanent switch. You can just get a nylon martingale. The prong collar may be contributing, too; but if you need it to train, you need it to train. If you aren't using it that much, it shouldn't really cause a problem on it's own.

shadyridge

Postby shadyridge » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:22 pm

we have had problems with it in the past when the dog are on chains and the fur would get thin you can get fleece lined collars and they work great.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks for the advice... I never really needed to use a prong before, but with Toda's training right now, I do need it... I'm trying to use it as minimal as possible though... I will just make sure not to use it on walks etc from now on, and get a fleece lined collar like you said.. I was pretty surprised since he almost never wears a collar in the house, how his fur was just vanishing!! I'm going to use the prong for tomorrow Seattle meet-up, because other dogs are just TOO TEMPTING to play with 'he's been a brat lately with the new puppy in the house, so I want to make sure he remembers to bring his manners tomorrow' lol

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:01 pm

I have this with Daisy, she has never been able to wear nylon for more than a half an hour. I had to have her a nice leather collar made which took care of all of the problems. It has supple leather sew as the inside layer up against her skin so it doesn't scratch.

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:13 pm

Tiny has this too. No redness, but missing hair on the underside part of her neck where it's already so thin to begin with. She wears a nylon collar all of the time and a prong when she's on walks or riding in the car. Doing away with the prong is not really an option with this goof ball, but maybe I'll try a leather collar for everyday use or just let her walk around the house "naked."

Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:17 pm

Hiya r6nikki-

Before I got Jake back in Aug. I read that rolled leather collars were great for dogs with short fur. I have used this type of collar since on Jake ever since I got him and he has no problems with it.

Here is a pic of my big boy (16 months) wearing his collar.

Hope this helps and good luck from me and Jake.

E :headbang:

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:32 pm

A rolled leather collar might ne an option.My foster also has a delicate skin and the nylon collars were bothering him.Leather too so I got a leather one with felt padding.Jack seems to be doing better with it.This a big collar with handle, which I needed for him, so it is probably not you would want to use but maybe you can find another kind padded with felt of fleece.Planet dog makes some, you can find them at Petsmart.

---------------------------

Ice ATTS/CGC: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Tigger ATTS: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Jack the foster: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Tux, sassy black bully for adoption: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... &members=1

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:40 am

I make nylon collars with ultasuede lining, super soft and it may work for you., PM me if you are interested.

:)

adinfinitu

Postby adinfinitu » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:55 am

My dog was having the same problem, so I sewed a rectangle of polarfleece into a tube and threaded the collar through that. The ring for the leash with her tags on it sticks out though a slit in the fabric. She still has some broken fur under there, and in the summer parts of her throat are naked (she has a lot of loose skin), but there isn't any more irritation.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:26 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone.... SFBullyGirl, you have a pm... :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”