Chip in case she ever gets lost?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
abbysmom

Chip in case she ever gets lost?

Postby abbysmom » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:06 pm

Is this an expensive procedure? How long is the procedure?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:25 pm

it takes about 30 seconds for a vet to inject it in them
I took my girl to my vet when I first adopted her, took less then a minute from the time we left the front office, until the chip was installed under her skin, it was $50.00 then. My dog did not mkae a peep, jsut likced the vet's and vet tech's hands after it was done. some dog do yelp I have been told.
I see it is being offered for anywhere from $15.00 up now.
It is a syringe with a large needle, they just insert the chip (looks kinda like a piece of rice size-wise) under the skin, between their shoudler blades.
Makre sure you get the one that is universally recognized in theis country, which I have, " Home Again."
There is also a small registration fee of abut $15.00 if I remember correctly.
evry tme I go to a fund rasier and they are offering the chips, I have them scan my dog to make sure it is still registering, so far so good, 2 years now.
My local animal control now has an annualr spring rabies clinic and micro chip festival, $25.00 buys both the rabies vacc and micro chip.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:15 pm

There are different kinds of chips and consequently, different scanners which are not compatible. You may want to make a few calls before choosing a brand. See what your local animal control carries.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:36 pm

Avid and Home again are the ones most widely used it seems.

Be aware that microchips can migrate from the site where they are supposed to stay. I just got one of mine rechipped as I felt a bump and found his old chip had some how slid down in front of his leg ... If I wasn't so fanatical about the dogs I probaby never would have noticed. That is why it is good to check them periodically with the scanner at the vet.

It is well worth the piece of mind IMO. Just think about all the lost animals from katrina. You just never know what could happen. Better safe than sorry

luv2rgue
Matured Bully

Postby luv2rgue » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:41 pm

Definitely get the chip. My baby has gotten out before and her collar came off on the way out. There was such a piece of mind knowing she was chipped. It was only $50 and another $7 later to change our address. We used AVID.

greenkozi
Bully Ambassador

Postby greenkozi » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:23 am

homeagain, avid, and 24petwatch are the most commonly used now. most shelters and vets have what's called a "foward/backward" scanner that will read almost any chip, even if it's not made by the company that sold the chip. originally, chip companies just wanted to make money, so you got a whole bunch of people on the market. now they've realized (to some extent) that this is useless, and doesn't reunite pets with owners. there may even be some kind of law about thsi, but i'd have to dig it up.

the procedure, like was said, takes about as long as a shot takes. i would recommend calling around to local shelters, because vets charge up the wazoo. shelters in the bay area are charging 20-30 dollars for chips, and that includes registration. vets, on the other hand, are chargin up to $70, and i can't tell you how many dogs we get into the shelter that ARENT registered, that came from vets. people leave the vet thinking their animal is registered because it's chipped, but the vet makes that a 2 step process. most shelters take care of the registration part for you.

p-o-p, i have to say, if your dog's chip really migrated to her leg, that will be the first true story i've actually heard of this happening. there are human errors in implantation all the time- chip doesn't go all the way in, chip goes where you don't want it to go, chip goes through, but these are easily corrected. here's what avid has to say : http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm#11 it's just not really biologically feasible for a peace of metal to travel from the scruff to the leg. i just do'nt want people to get discouraged from chipping from the infintensinally (sp??) small chance of this happening. :thumbsup:

pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:46 pm

I'll agree that the chances are small but I've found chips in less than ideal spots before. Which is a good reminder for those people in clinical and shelter settings to be sure and scan the whole dog!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:53 pm

pocketpit wrote:I'll agree that the chances are small but I've found chips in less than ideal spots before. Which is a good reminder for those people in clinical and shelter settings to be sure and scan the whole dog!
I opted to rechip LOL so now he has two as I didn't trust someone to scan his whole body looking for it. But you are right they should san the whole dog.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:28 pm

greenkozi wrote:the procedure, like was said, takes about as long as a shot takes. i would recommend calling around to local shelters, because vets charge up the wazoo. shelters in the bay area are charging 20-30 dollars for chips, and that includes registration. vets, on the other hand, are chargin up to $70

I think shelters gett hem at a discount, because we can't even buy them from AVID that cheap.

and i can't tell you how many dogs we get into the shelter that ARENT registered, that came from vets. people leave the vet thinking their animal is registered because it's chipped, but the vet makes that a 2 step process. most shelters take care of the registration part for you.

We have the opposite problem here. Pets coming out of the biggest shelter in the area don't register the chips, they leave them registered to themselves. Then, people move and don't tell the shelter...

p-o-p, i have to say, if your dog's chip really migrated to her leg, that will be the first true story i've actually heard of this happening. there are human errors in implantation all the time- chip doesn't go all the way in, chip goes where you don't want it to go, chip goes through, but these are easily corrected. here's what avid has to say : http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm#11 it's just not really biologically feasible for a peace of metal to travel from the scruff to the leg. i just do'nt want people to get discouraged from chipping from the infintensinally (sp??) small chance of this happening. :thumbsup:

I've seen it happen a handful of times over the last 10 years.

----------
Aimee
Brando CGC (APBT)
Grant CD, CGC (AmStaf)
Harry - Adolescent Punk (Malinois)
http://www.odnarb.com
http://www.rosecitydogs.com

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:41 pm

I got Paige chipped at the vet, I know they told me not les then 10 times to be sure and call the company to registar, it was also printed on the receipt, plus they printed out another hand out with the reminder/reg number, and then- the receptionist called me the next day to make sure I did not forget-lol.
Everytime I go to a place that has the scanner, I ask them to scan Paige to be sure it is where it is suppposed to be and so far so good. There is one guy that has been at several of the fund raisers we went to, chipping for $25.00, he now pulls out the scanner laughing, as soon as he sees me walking his way. lol

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:22 pm

it's just not really biologically feasible for a peace of metal to travel from the scruff to the leg

The chip isn't metal, though I think there's metal in it. And it certainly could travel, a grass awn can easily travel almost anywhere from it's point of penetration (when Tully got one, it just went straight through her cheek, we were lucky), so something made of a hard material should be even more able to travel.

However, I don't know how much the chips do travel. One of the brands (don't remember which) made a modification to make it happen less often to their chips. Both my dogs have been scanned since they were chipped, and the chips have not traveled. I don't get them scanned regularly, but Elmo was just scanned a month or 2 ago, at our new vet, because I didn't remember the chip #. His chip's been in for over 5 years, it's not going anywhere now. Tully was scanned last April, because she was having a CERF exam done, and they need to check the permanent ID for CERF records. (she was also scanned a month or 2 previous when her OFA Xrays were done, same reason). Again, she was chipped as a pup (before I got her), the chip is still in place, it's not going anywhere, now.

greenkozi
Bully Ambassador

Postby greenkozi » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:35 pm

The chip isn't metal, though I think there's metal in it. And it certainly could travel, a grass awn can easily travel almost anywhere from it's point of penetration (when Tully got one, it just went straight through her cheek, we were lucky), so something made of a hard material should be even more able to travel.

sorry, it's a fiberglass like substance, not a metal. if you've handled them, they feel a lot like lead, or metal. and you can see some sort of little computer thingy- i've always identified that as metal.

when inserted properly, the muscle should form a connective tissue around the chip. ( see: http://www.gsdhelpline.com/aboutchip.htm, or any of the chip websites.) i think that what happens a lot when people think that chips have travelled is that chips have actually been improperly implanted. an old coworker chipped a dog's tush abou a year ago because the dog was wiggling. the chip is NOT supposed to be near the dog's butt! the owner of the dog wasn't with us when we chipped the dog, so they could easily think that the chip had migrated. :huh?:

i ido think shelters get a deal- why not take advantage of it?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:08 pm

Yes, I worked for a vet several years ago, and remember when we first got the chips (we got Avid chips). I've been around them plenty. And you are correct that tissue will form around it to hold it in place, which is why I don't worry about my dogs' travelling anymore, but said tissue doesn't form immediately.

Implanting one in the butt is sheer carelessness, and I don't see how you could safely do it. It's injected under their scruff. To actually get it into the butt, you'd have to be jabbing randomly, which could be dangerous. You don't want to implant it into a muscle! It's just supposed to go under the skin. There isn't much loose skin on the butt to get a needle under.

greenkozi
Bully Ambassador

Postby greenkozi » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:43 pm

i have never chipped a dog in the butt. chipping takes a split second, the dog moved faster, the person holding wasn't competent, the chip ended up near the rear (not in the legs, but about a foot lower than the scruff). it was an example, and not particularly a good example of the microchipping. it was an example of what can happen with a wiggly dog, and a microchip. :dunno: :dunno:

i have chipped hundreds of animals, and while, thankfully never having tush-chipped, i can say that it is easy to miss the bullseye of 100% centered in the scruff. in 2 pound kittens, or 5 pound chihuahuas, the needles are longer and thicker than the scruff! i am sure some of the animals i have sent home are closer to shoulder-chipped than scruff chipped. the chips didn't migrate, i bucked up.

my only initial point, and i'm sorry it was so contreversial, is that i think that a lot of the problems that people encounter wtih micrcochipped animals comes from human error. it is really easy to make a mistake.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:02 am

greenkozi wrote:i have never chipped a dog in the butt. chipping takes a split second, the dog moved faster, the person holding wasn't competent, the chip ended up near the rear (not in the legs, but about a foot lower than the scruff). it was an example, and not particularly a good example of the microchipping. it was an example of what can happen with a wiggly dog, and a microchip. :dunno: :dunno:

i have chipped hundreds of animals, and while, thankfully never having tush-chipped, i can say that it is easy to miss the bullseye of 100% centered in the scruff. in 2 pound kittens, or 5 pound chihuahuas, the needles are longer and thicker than the scruff! i am sure some of the animals i have sent home are closer to shoulder-chipped than scruff chipped. the chips didn't migrate, i bucked up.

my only initial point, and i'm sorry it was so contreversial, is that i think that a lot of the problems that people encounter wtih micrcochipped animals comes from human error. it is really easy to make a mistake.

Why don't you have somebody restraining the animals properly? :dunno:

We do much more invasive and delicate procedures on animals every day, and with proper restraint, this kind of stuff doesn't happen.

----------
Aimee
Brando CGC (APBT)
Grant CD, CGC (AmStaf)
Harry - Adolescent Punk (Malinois)
http://www.odnarb.com
http://www.rosecitydogs.com

Return to “Health Issues”