taken from mother too early

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lisaresser

taken from mother too early

Postby lisaresser » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:43 pm

I got a pup last night that is very small. She is supposed to be 6 weeks but I doubt it. She is very scrawny. I got her some milk and a bottle this morning. She is eating solid food but is there something else I can do to "fatten her up"?
I am going to try to get her into the vet tomorrow but is there something I can do now?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:04 pm

you don't want to give her any cow's milk, that will cause stomach uspet as it is too hard for them to digest
I would just feed her a very high quality dog food, add some warm water and let it sit till it softens for a little while before you let her eat it.If you can get some goat's milk, you could also add that to her kibble.
Her system might not be able to handle a lot of stuff, so stick with the high quality, mushy dog kible and see what your vet has to say about her health, age tomorrow.
Your biggest problem is going to be socializing her.She i snot going to be taught how to be dog from her mom and sibblings now. Doggie manners are vry importatn, she will not have any bite inhibitions either. :sad:

lisaresser

Postby lisaresser » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:14 pm

I got her some Just Born milk plus colostrum. I fed that to her a little while ago. she really seemed to like it. Is that good for her?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:21 pm

It sounds like that should be fine for her since it was made for puppies?
Poor baby, hope she does well.
You might take it to the vet when you go and make sure it is o.k., not sure how if she would still benefit from the colustrum at this age, but it won't hurt her at any rate.
I am sure some of the breeders will be able to offer more feeding advice once they see your post.
I have always raised orphans animlas on goat's milk and mushy kibble., and ttaken then direclty to the vet for an exam initially.
Just make sure she is eating, drinking so she stays hydrated and the vet will be able to offer more advice according to her age, health and condition.

lisaresser

Postby lisaresser » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:25 pm

Cool. Thanks. She just kinda worried me because she seems kinda week and my 8 month old pit has taken to her. She is constantly licking her and nudging her around with her nose. Like she knowsshe is not "right" I was afraid our 8 month old would be jealous. But, exactly the opposite. She has taken over being the little mommy. (we'll see how that goes it the new pup tries to nurse on her.) :)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:04 pm

lisaresser wrote:I got her some Just Born milk plus colostrum. I fed that to her a little while ago. she really seemed to like it. Is that good for her?
mix a little of that with her food and make sure you are feeding a high quality kibble. Get her to a vet and have her wormed ASAP don't forget to bring a stool sample , if the BYB let her go at this young age it is a good bet she also has worms.

It is good that at least you have another dog in the house to be her role model so to speak and help with the socialization.
please read: http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22235

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:56 pm

I agree with Patch. It's extremely likely that she has worms and that has contributed to her condition. When you bring the sample in even if they don't find worms ask for her to be wormed anyway. It's always possible to miss eggs in the flotation. Good Luck!

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:02 pm

The Colostrum is always beneficial...it would be for an adult.

lisaresser

Postby lisaresser » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:11 pm

An Update...
I took her to the vet last night. Aside from a few fleas, She is fine. Healthy as a horse so to speak

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

lisaresser wrote:An Update...
I took her to the vet last night. Aside from a few fleas, She is fine. Healthy as a horse so to speak
That is good to hear. Did they worm her?

lisaresser

Postby lisaresser » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Yes, they wormed her. Sorry for the delay in responding

Return to “Health Issues”