How much oil is too much?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FelonysMomma

How much oil is too much?

Postby FelonysMomma » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:35 pm

I usually give Felony 2 1/2 mL of vegetable oil a day. But today I forgot I already gave her some so I gave it to her twice. So she had 5 mL today. Should I skip tomorrow or be worried or what?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm

that is not much, don't be worried
she could get some loose poopies, so maybe skip tomorrow just in case.
You might want to think about giving her salmon oil instead of veggie oil.
?
what is the reasoning for the veg oil?

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 pm

I was told that it makes the coat shine and keeps the natural oils coming. But when I took Fel to the vet for her dry, flaky skin I was told to only bathe her every 3 months. I have always given my dogs a boiled egg every day, and add some oil, but this is the first dog that I ever gave veggie oil to.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm

They get plenty of Saturated fat from thier food. If you are going to add in oil I would use Salmon, Flax, or Olive. 1-2 TBS. of olive oil or Flax oil with a raw organic egg is what Daisy gets 3 times a week and she usually looks like she's been waxed. You want your pup to shine because she's healthy, not greasy..lol.

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:51 pm

I went out and bought Mirra-Coat Supplament w/ Zinc and Biotin. It says give 5mL for every 20 lbs.
And I bougt Vetrolin Bath to bathe her in.
Has anyone had expierience with these two products?

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:46 pm

the oil made her coat really shiny and her skin still flakes, but not as bad.
Is the Mirra-Coat a good product?

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:57 pm

Veg. oil adds a HUGE amount of calories. For a healthier coat I give fish oil capsules. Just puncture it with a knife, or fork, squeeze over her food, and works great. If the coat gets dry in the winter, add a humidifier to the room they spend a lot of time in...makes a big difference. As far as bathing every 3 months...not sure why that would make a huge difference. Jada gets bathed every 2 weeks minimum because of dog shows. I use an oatmeal/yogurt forumla, and her skin and coat actually feel/look better after a bath. You may want to try Nupro....I love it, and know quite a few people who use it specifically for improving skin/coat.

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:03 pm

Foxwood, do you have any experience with Vanolin Bath or Minna-Coat? I just bought it and thought I'd give it a try. Where could I find fish oil capsules at?

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:46 pm

I give Daisy and Rosco Salmon oil and Borage (sp?) oil. The Salmon oil I got at sitstay.com but I also saw some at the pet store. The borage oil I got at B-Naturals.com. The improvement in their coat was amazing and they already had nice coats!

I haven't heard of or tried the items you are asking about. What are the ingredients inthe Mirra-Coat?

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:52 am

This is what I have...
Mirra-Coat Liquid is a nutritional food supplement for dogs and other animals that need special attention to help control shedding, scratching, dull coat and dry flaky skin. Most beneficial for animal 8 weeks to 5 years of age. Use to restore skin and coat condition after treatment for non-nutritional problems such as parasites, trauma and allergies. Use to give that extra luster and beauty to dogs being conditioned for show or sale. Excellent supplement for short hair breeds. Improvements are seen within 2 weeks of use. Mirra-Coat contains the following: Essential fatty acids (EFA) - promotes cell membrane formation and improves skin barrier function, Vitamin A - prevents plugged hair follicles, Vitamin E - prevents cellular EFA oxidation - balances vitamin A concentration - activates EFA metabolism, Vitamin B6 - prevents dermatitis and hair loss - activates EFA and protein metabolism, Biotin - prevents scaly dermatitis and hair loss - improves hair color and luster - activates EFA and protein metabo

Is this ok?

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:53 am

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:10 pm

I would just use Salmon Oil and be done with it, FelonysMomma. That Mirra-Coat doesn't seem to contain Omega 3's and 6's.

http://pets.yahoo.com/pets/dogs/hn/omega_fatty_acids
http://pethealth101.com/arthritis_and_joint/fattyacid.shtml

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:44 pm

thanks for that link! I'll try salmon oil

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:49 pm

Here's a link to a popular brand of salmon oil for pets:
http://alpha-nutrition.site.yahoo.net/grsaoi32.html

I wanted to give a plug for this store because the oil is currently on sale for a good price and the customer service is fantastic.

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:54 pm

Can you get it at PetSupermarket or PetSmart? I don't have a credit card to order it... :sad:

Return to “Health Issues”