Help please

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AchillesThePit

Help please

Postby AchillesThePit » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:53 am

I've found a brand dog food that's on the Whole dog journal list. But the thing is it's not the formula that's list there. The brand is "Bench and Field" and the two formula I found are: 1)Lamb and rice formula, and 2)Fish and potato formula. I'd like to know if they are good so maybe I could change Achilles' food to that brand. Any info on it is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:38 am

Taken from http://www.benchandfield.com:

Lamb Meal & Rice Dog Food
The B & F good nutrition plan provides the perfect balance of key nutrients - protein, fat, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals - that are essential for energy, endurance, good muscle tone ... the great look you want for your great dog!

So whether your dog is high maintenance or low maintenance, aristocratic with attitude and stellar bloodlines or a multi-cultural friend with personality, your dog rules.

Our Lamb Meal & Rice Dog formula is:
* naturally preserved/100% nutritionally complete, free of soy, wheat, & dairy products, food coloring & artificial flavoring.
* combined, premium protein sources for healthy skin and coat.
* made with chicory extract and flaxseed - ingredient sources that promote good health ... naturally.

GUARANTEED ANALYIS
Protein, Minimum __________________________ 22%
Fat, Minimum______________________________ 12%
Fiber, Maximum____________________________ 5%
Moisture, Maximum_________________________ 10%

DOG FOOD INGREDIENTS
Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Rice Bran, Rice Flour, Ground Yellow Corn, Poultry Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract), Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Meal, Salt, Lamb Digest, Egg Product, Chicory Extract, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D-3), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochlo- ride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide and Calcium Carbonate.

NUTRITIONAL ADEQUACY
Bench & Field Lamb Meal and Rice Adult Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials dog food nutrient profiles for all life stages of dogs.

Of the first 5 ingreadients 4 are grain. It has corn and beet pulp in it. This is not a good food according to what I have learned.

I don't see a fish & potato formula on their site. :dunno:

Here's the ingredients for the Holistic Blend - which is slightly better than the lamb & rice. Again according to what I have learned:

Holistic Natural ™ Canine Formula is the right choice. It's naturally preserved, fortified with essential vitamins and minerals, and made with certified organically grown chicken plus a bounty of wholesome, healthful ingredients including:

* Made with Natures Greens: sun-cured alfalfa, organically grown dandelion leaves & kelp
* Select fruits & Veggies: peas, carrots, carrots, cranberry, blueberries, apples and sweet potatoes.
* Omega 6 and Omega 3: from Menhaden Oil, Flaxseed and chicken fat for skin & coat
* Glucosamine and Betta-Carotene, and the 3 primary antioxidants, Vitamins A, E and C.
* Oatmeal & Chicory Extract for a healthy digestive system

Holistic Natural Canine
Formula Pet Foods
Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground barley, Fish Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat (Naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract), Dried Beet Pulp, Amaranth, Oatmeal, Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Canola Oil, Dehydrated Apples, Cheese Meal, Ground Carrot Cubes, Air Dried Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Chicory Extract, Blueberries, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dandelion, Garlic, Aspergillus Oryzae, Fermentation Soluables, B. Subtillus Fermentation Soluables, Enterococcus Faecium, and Lactobacillius Acidophilus.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein
Crude Fat
Crude Fiber
Moisture
Calcium

Phosphorus
Vitamin A
Vitamin D3
Vitamin E
Omega 6
Omega 3 not less than 24%
not less than 15%
not more than 4.9%
not more than 10%
not more then 1.5%

1.1%
22,000 IU/kg
1,612 IU/kg
141 IU/kg
3.02%
0.61%

Thoughts from anyone else? I'm certainly no expert.

AchillesThePit

Postby AchillesThePit » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:14 am

X-girl, thank you. :) The store I saw Bench and Field doesn't carry Holistic Blend...They only carry "Lamb and Rice" and "Fish and Potato" formula...I don't know why it's not on the website.... :dunno:
Sigh...I'm all out of hope of finding a good dog food here..... :sad:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:59 am

how about ordering one of the better foods on line?
or ask your feed store to order it for you, all the feed stores in my area will do this.
or go to the web sites of the top 5 foods on here, they usually can tell you the closest store in your area that carries their food?

AchillesThePit

Postby AchillesThePit » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:22 am

pblove, I wish I could order any online....Unfortunately none available here...and none available to ship here...... :sad:
I tried many many times asking stores to get at least one of the better ones here, none of them want to do that. In fact, none of them believe me that the ones I mentioned is any good I think....I think they probably think I'm crazy. :sad: :roll:
If I could I'd open a store that carry them...but I am not that rich. :tongue: Sigh.......

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:46 am

Achilles, did you see the post I made in the other thread about foods in Asia? I found a website about the pet food industry in Asia and there may have been some interesting info in there for you.

AchillesThePit

Postby AchillesThePit » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:57 pm

X-girl, which post you mean? The one about dog food labels? If so, I don't know why Insomnia don't see labels on the dog food here...Cos all the dog food here (except Japanese brands and couple very local brands) I saw whole list of what it has on the labels......
And if the website you mentioned is the one you posted on that same thread I just mentioned....then yeah I went to the site...but to be honest...It has TONS of things to read and graphics...I didn't and couldn't read the whole thing....I think it's kind of hard for me to understand the whole HUGE LONG page of that info... :tongue:
I honestly have tried and checked tons of pet food supply stores here all I could trying to find a better kibbles...And I asked them hoping they could order it...but have no luck.....It really sucks....

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:47 pm

Are you in the US? You should be able to order Timberwolf on line. No one carries it in my state and I order it on line, so far I've not had any trouble with the delivery.

Insomnia is in Taiwan which is why he is having trouble finding a decent food.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:03 pm

AchillesThePit wrote:pblove, I wish I could order any online....Unfortunately none available here...and none available to ship here...... :sad:
I tried many many times asking stores to get at least one of the better ones here, none of them want to do that. In fact, none of them believe me that the ones I mentioned is any good I think....I think they probably think I'm crazy. :sad: :roll:
If I could I'd open a store that carry them...but I am not that rich. :tongue: Sigh.......

are you in another country?
sorry, was assuming you were a US or Canadian poster.
I guess you could find some links to make your own dog food if worse comes to worse then?
if not you can only do the best you can with what you have to work with., and I know how frustrating that can be.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:48 pm

Achilles is in China, I believe.

AchillesThePit

Postby AchillesThePit » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:34 pm

gf turtle, I am in Taiwan. So I won't be able to order any good kibble online...cos none of them ship over here. I know Insomnia is in Taiwan. I am in Taiwan as well...and pretty much all the dog food here I see labels...so that's why I said I don't know why he can't. And I know it's hard to find good food here as I've been trying to find one for way longer than he is. :tongue:

pblove, yes I am in another country. I'm in Taiwan. I used to live in USA and it's so easy to get those good brands kibbles...then I'm back here in Taiwan and can't find any good ones...It's very frustrating...

X-girl, I am in Taiwan, not China. :)

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Well, neither look stellar. The second looks better, it still has dried beet pulp and tomato pomace. I wouldn't snub a food for just having one of these:
if I had a small selection
if the rest of the ingredients looked good
and if it was low on the list

Two is too much IMO. Also, it is doubtful that the fish meal used in a middle of the road food is going to be ethyquoxin free. I don't know if it's PPM levels are even regulated in your part of the world.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:11 pm

AchillesThePit wrote:I know Insomnia is in Taiwan.

That's why I was confused. I knew Insomnia was in Taiwan and I didn't think you 2 were in the same place. I stand corrected! lol

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:33 pm

What about feeding raw? How expensive is chicken, meat and fish over there?

Or making your own dog food and supplementing with raw and/or cooked meats and fish?

AchillesThePit

Postby AchillesThePit » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:15 pm

moto1320, thank you.

X-girl, heheheh it's ok. 8)

gf turtle, I never feel safe enough to feed raw. When I was living in States, I didn't do it...now back here I don't want to do it still. I just never feel comfortable feeding raw meats. I am feeding him Royal Canin now, and once in a while I cooked chicken parts for him to eat....

Return to “Health Issues”