Best Feed For Skin & Coat

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:43 pm

PopeyeSaysHowdy wrote:Check out this thread.

Science Diet has approximately zero meat in it, and almost all allergeans. :(

Goodness, I was looking for loads of meat and zero allergens due to Felony's skin problem. But I had to pee real bad to I just brabbed a bag and went w/o reading the ingredients. I'll have to take my time next trip. Has anyone ever heard of Vetrinarian Formulated? I think its like 31%protien and 21%fat, but not sure.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:09 pm

If you've got skin issues, don't feed something with 31% protein! That's a real high protein, which few dogs need, and excessive protein can contribute to skin problems.

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Sarah wrote:If you've got skin issues, don't feed something with 31% protein! That's a real high protein, which few dogs need, and excessive protein can contribute to skin problems.

thanks for that tip. What percentages are okay? And which ingredients should I steer clear of?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:19 pm

Corn is the big one to avoid. If the food doesn't contain corn, it usually doesn't contain any of the other baddies either. (dog food companies like to use corn, because it's cheap, so usually only the best foods don't have it)

Protein... nothing more than 25% is my suggestion, unless the dog is working very hard. Fat can be in fairly high percentage, dogs use it for energy. The food I'm feeding is 25% protein & 16% fat, which is a little higher fat proportion than you'd usually find. (most of the better foods seem to go on some kind of 10% difference rule, ie; 24% protein, 14% fat.) I wouldn't like to go below 12% fat on a dog unless there were a medical reason to do so.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:31 pm

For ingredients to steer clear of read the food stickies, but Pat wrote a couple of food articles for us and they can be found in the Resource section and pretty much lay it all out. Donate the Science Diet to a shelter, you don't want to feed that I promise.

Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato is a good food. Alot of folks with dogs with allergies have fed this. I used it for some time just because my dog really likes fish. The oils help with dry skin, adding in a little olive or flax oil and raw eggs a few times a week as well should whip things nicely into shape.

Daisy had such bad dandruff when we first picked her up I thought she was blue and white instead of black and white. No problems in years in that catagory. You will probably find other good foods here I would imagine but they are listed as Wellness distributors, this store carries it and is within 10 miles of your zip:

The Grateful Dog
1037 Canal Street
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone:
352-753-7273

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:52 pm

oh wow, I'll go there tomorrow. Would the shelter take an opened bag of dog food? Well, it wouldn't hurt to ask them! Thanks for all the tips guys. I sound like I'm inexperienced about what to feed my dogs, before I came to this forum I was!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:00 pm

and please pee before you shop tomorrow! roflmao

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:09 pm

FelonysMomma wrote:oh wow, I'll go there tomorrow. Would the shelter take an opened bag of dog food? Well, it wouldn't hurt to ask them! Thanks for all the tips guys. I sound like I'm inexperienced about what to feed my dogs, before I came to this forum I was!

When you go see if they carry Timberwolf. It's probably the best. It is hard to find sometimes, where as Wellness is more readily available. Look for low 20ish percent of protein content.

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 am

okay, thanks for all the help people, I got wellness simple duck. I hope they like it. It sure costed enough...lol. For that price I hope its human quality cause I'll be eating it too with the crappy paycheck I got! roflmao

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:38 am

FelonysMomma, please don't scream or cry but...

The Wellness Simple Solutions food is not meant for long-term feeding. It is meant to try to help figure out what allergens are affecting your dog.

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:04 pm

X-girl wrote:FelonysMomma, please don't scream or cry but...

The Wellness Simple Solutions food is not meant for long-term feeding. It is meant to try to help figure out what allergens are affecting your dog.

Great. :crybaby: Please tell me what kind of food to feed my stupid dogs...lol.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Well...I did...

I suggested Canidae since it is very good, inexpensive, and widely available. Supplement with salmon oil. If he develops skin issues from it after several weeks, than it's either the rice or the sunflower oil in the food and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I fed Canidae to Lola but it didn't do well with her skin so we switched to Nature's Variety Venison - which is rice free and she has done very well on it.

FelonysMomma

Postby FelonysMomma » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:19 pm

I can't find Canidae anywhere... :crybaby:
can't they just eat McDonalds everyday??? :crybaby: (Joke)

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:36 pm

This place carries Canidae:

OCALA BREEDERS FEED & SUPPLY
6855 N. US Hwy 27
Ocala, FL
PH: 352 402-0303

I am seeing that this place is 17 miles from your zipcode. That doesn't seem very far to me.

Also, have you actually called the the Canidae or Nature's Variety companies? I doubt those online store locators are 100% accurate and up-to-date and the customer service reps would be happy to help you find the most convenient place.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Toda has a history of having severe skin & coat issues.. believe it or not, he has done the absolute best on TW Ocean Blue

Return to “Health Issues”