blockage from dishtowel

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
HHK
Adolescent Bully

blockage from dishtowel

Postby HHK » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Well this just isn't the month for my animals. My cat has a serious kidney infection, Thor my old guy ruptured his ear drum last week (is much better now) and last night we spent half the night at the ER vet with Pete who thougt a dish towel would be a tasty treat. The good news is it doesn't look like we'll have to do surgery, although we're still watching. He did pass some of it last night, and has held down water and a bit of food today. It was very scary as he could not stop vomiting for more than ten minutes.

They had to sedate him to get him to be still for x-rays and then gave him sub Q fluids (along with meds for vomiting). He looked like a drunken camel when they brought him out to us. Very, very sad and pitiful. They gave us the option of keeping him over night to watch, but he was so horribly stressed out that we decided to take him home and keep an eye on him. I couldn't stand the thought of him crying and panting all night,( yes he was a MESS) and we're only a few blocks from the ER vet. Needless to say I woke up every half hour just to watch him breathe. Keep your fingers crossed that he passes the rest of the damn towel without incident. He is still not completely out of the woods yet.

I have now spent $1000 in the past three weeks on these guys. So much for a paid off credit card. :roll:

I think I think I'll be taking a nap with my dogs now.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:45 pm

Ooh, I hope everything is OK.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:58 pm

o jeez, I hope he will soon be well. :hug:

HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby HHK » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:35 pm

Thanks for the good thoughts. My nap was thwarted by Pete having to go potty. He is still really straining to get something out, but is passing small amounts of stool. He isn't vomiting and is drinking water so hopefully we won't have to make another trip to the vet tonight, they might have to give me the sedative this time.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:19 pm

Good luck guys. I'm sure he'll be fine, they seem to pass those things usually. As long as he's holding food down a little olive oil added may help things along.

Makes you wonder what goes through those block heads sometimes. One part of the string of Darwin Award moments Doc went on was me coming in to the hallway to find out why he was whining to find him chasing his own butt...which had about 2 ft. of faux suede (formerly known as his new dog bed) hanging out of it. :roll:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:27 pm

moto1320 wrote:Good luck guys. I'm sure he'll be fine, they seem to pass those things usually. As long as he's holding food down a little olive oil added may help things along.

Streets once ate a cassette tape. Puked half of it up, but kept the rest down. I fed him some olive oil and the next day he produced a very interesting poop, the middle section being entirerly tape.
I hope Pete is feeling better soon.

HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby HHK » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:32 pm

Thanks moto, that made me laugh. These crazy dogs!!! Last night when Pete was trying to get out part of the towel he was wandering around the yard with half of it hanging out his bum. I called the vet and they told me to "help him" which I did and then almost barfed.

I think he might have been able to do it on his own if it weren't for being so sedated. He was clearly in pain, as he kept whimpering, but so doped up he was about to fall over. It was awful. :yucky:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:10 pm

moto1320 wrote:Good luck guys. I'm sure he'll be fine, they seem to pass those things usually. As long as he's holding food down a little olive oil added may help things along.

Makes you wonder what goes through those block heads sometimes. One part of the string of Darwin Award moments Doc went on was me coming in to the hallway to find out why he was whining to find him chasing his own butt...which had about 2 ft. of faux suede (formerly known as his new dog bed) hanging out of it. :roll:

I needed that laugh!
Thank you ! roflmao roflmao roflmao

p.s. I alwys keep a bottle of stool softeners here for those "special" moments.
If I know they ate something weird, I give them a (or two)stool softener and it usually comes out with no problems, same theory as the olive oil . (my vet told me to use the stool softeners so I know it is O.K. to use them on dogs) I get them from Rite Aid, cheaper then Peri Collace brand. One is a laxative and one is a stool softener, make sure you get the softener, NOT the laxative please. :tongue:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:37 am

I had a rottie x that once locked herself in my bathroom while I was at work. She proceded to eat everything she could reach, including a blow dryer, and some shampoo. Foretunately, she also ate some mineral oil, so everything passed (so to speak) uneventfully.

HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby HHK » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Well Pete finally passed what seems to be the rest of the dishtowel. I've never been so glad to see my dog poop.

Good tip on keeping the stool softener around. This wasn't the first and I'm sure won't be the last time he'll eat something not meant for him.

I think he's been getting into things because of boredom. The weather here so sucks lately, it has not stopped raining for something crazy like 28 days. But, there was a break yesterday for awhile though so we got out and took a four mile walk. I'll have to get more creative in keeping him busy.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:04 pm

Toda pooped out about 1/2 of a rope toy and the fuzz from a bright orange tennis ball last week... it was really interesting cleaning the yard...

Return to “Health Issues”