Puppy not eating

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:13 am

Marilyn wrote:I will be saying prayers for her! You should call the shelter, she most likely had parvo when you adopted her.

I completely agree, you should let them know ASAP.
We wish you the best of luck with your baby. We will be praying as well.

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:33 am

Marilyn wrote:I will be saying prayers for her! You should call the shelter, she most likely had parvo when you adopted her.

We are planning to. I know she shared a kennel run with 2 other littermates, one of which was being adopted at the same time Shelby was, as well as being kept for several hours at the humane society's adoption pickup annex (in El Paso, the Humane Society and the animal shelter are seperate locations, but adoptions for both are handled by the humane society).

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:25 pm

I've called both animal control, where she was sheltered, and the Humane Society to let them know.

The Humane Society acted like it was no big deal. In fact the lady told me, "I'm glad you called, if the treatment doesn't work, you are eligible for another animal free of charge!". *bangs head on keyboard*

I just got home from visiting her at the vets, and boy are we lucky! This vet office is so nice, and helpful. They had an emergency surgery going on, but one of the vet techs still took the time to talk to me, and showed me where Shelby is. If she's got to be sick, I'm glad these people are around to take care of her.

On a side note, the animal that was in surgery was a momma dog, getting an emergency c-section, and so far none of the pups had survived. :crybaby:

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:37 pm

Wow! That's pretty harsh! I'm super glad you got her in on time.

We had a bunch of parvo cases last year with our rescue dogs/pups. A couple were older, vaccinated puppies (7 to 9 months). One we sent out to her new family was there for a week, they called and said she's vomiting, I told them to get her to our rescue vet pronto which they did ASAP and we paid for the treatment. No use in making the new home pay for it - can the shelter help you out by, at least, giving your adoption fee back?

I'm sure it doesn't matter to you whether you get the fee back as long as your baby is o.k. but still, I'd ask.

Best of luck for her full, SPEEDY, recovery!

~k.

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:21 pm

Kirstan wrote:I'm sure it doesn't matter to you whether you get the fee back as long as your baby is o.k. but still, I'd ask.

~k.

Nope. Their adoption forms state that ifthe dog developes health problems, you can exhange it within 14 days.

My biggest concern about their policy is that they are willing to allow a home where there has been a parvo case to come in and get another dog right away. From what I understand, you should not bring a new dog, especially a puppy, into a home for 6 months if there was parvo.

I called the vet right before they closed and talked to the front desk. She said that Shelby was depressed (understandable obviously), but seemed to be holding her own. They have a catheter in and are monitoring, no vomiting or diarreha since this morning, and is responsive. Also, the vet is guarded (he does not want to get our hopes up and then have her go downhill), but was quick to point out that in their experience, pitties respond the best to treatment and recover much faster.

The vets office has been great. We have been their twice now, both times very bad situations and both time they have been very supportive. The first time was when we had to make the choice to have our bullmastiff (who was 11 at the time) pts after she lhad literally eaten most of one of her feet one night while we were asleep. The vet tech on duty filled out all the paperwork so that we could spend that time with her and not be filling out forms.

This morning, when I took Shelby up there, the vet sat and talked about the treatment plan, several of the vet techs and the receptionist would come in and say hi to her, let her get used to them, etc. When the vet carried her to the back to start the IVs, Shelby actually snuggled in against him. The receptionist made sure we knew we could come up and see her at any time during the day.

They have made this alot easier for us.

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 pm

I have a question.

Since we only had her for 4 days before putting her in the hospital, is it more stressful for us to visit, and keep leaving her? Or will it help her?

The only reason I have the question is because she was only here for 4 days. If she had been here for 4 years, it'd be different, cause we'd be a part of her pack, and have a closer bond.

Thanks!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:22 am

skybyrd wrote:I have a question.

Since we only had her for 4 days before putting her in the hospital, is it more stressful for us to visit, and keep leaving her? Or will it help her?

The only reason I have the question is because she was only here for 4 days. If she had been here for 4 years, it'd be different, cause we'd be a part of her pack, and have a closer bond.

Thanks!

IMO, it should not be harmful to her at all for you to visit. She will recognize you, and probably thank you for it when she's all better.
It's so hard to leave your baby at the hospital, though, even when you know she's getting good care! I feel for you, as I had to do it with my boy when he was about a year old.
Keep us updated

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:39 pm

Update:

We went and saw her this afternoon as the vet was getting ready for her next dose of meds. She was very happy to see us, tail wagging a million miles and hour and kisses non-stop. :)

She has already started putting weight back on and the gleam is back in her eyes. She looks 50 times better than she did just since yesterday morning when we visited. She is holding water down, though she did have some bloody stool today. The vet said they were going to try giving her some baby food later today and see if she can keep it down.

If she can keep the baby food down tonight and tomorrow morning, and does not have a repeat of the bloody stool (first time since this started that she had that), teh vet said she could probably come home tomorrow evening and will give us some nutrition paste as well as the meds, etc.

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:00 pm

She's home!

And already getting into everything! So she's back to being a normal puppy!

I have to say again, that we really lucked out in finding that vet clinic. The total for 4 days hospitalization, all the meds, etc was $350. And she's looking so much better, its almost unbelievable.

We are so glad! :peace:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:13 pm

:yipee: I'm so happy to hear good news! Keep us updated on her recovery!!

BTW: $350 is getting off very easy for parvo treatment and hospitalization. Those vets were certainly cutting you some slack. Yay.. sounds like you have a very caring vet office and staff. Lucky!

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Allie wrote::yipee: I'm so happy to hear good news! Keep us updated on her recovery!!

BTW: $350 is getting off very easy for parvo treatment and hospitalization. Those vets were certainly cutting you some slack. Yay.. sounds like you have a very caring vet office and staff. Lucky!

Was talking to the receptionist and they just do not feel they should overcharge for vet care.

Also, found out that one of the vet techs is a pittie breeder here in El Paso and a member of this board (I forgot to ask his forum name!!!), and said to call him whenever we had any questions.

:)

Return to “Health Issues”