fat dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BullyBoi

fat dog

Postby BullyBoi » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:19 pm

Here is a pic of my girl and as you can see she is quite fat. What are the best ways to get a dog to lose weight. I am going to pick up the walking and make it longer. But i was going to get a weight pull harness so when we walk she could drag a light tire ( about 5 pounds) and i thought that would help in her weight loss. But Jason Mann at has reccomended that i dont do it and too just walk her, i trust his choice but i want some one else opinon.. What do you think i should do other than walk her? What would you do for your dog if it was overweight?

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:21 pm

I wouldn't drag a weight right off. It might be too much for her if she's out of shape.

What are you feeding?

How much are you feeding a day?

Take her for a daily walk! If you don't already. Also, play outside with her. Do some vigorous exercise to get her stamina built up. Just walking might take longer to have an effect.
I suspect this to be food related, but I don't know...

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Fewer calories is the easiest way!
Its great if you want to give her more exercise too, but really she is probably just getting too many calories. Dogs' metabolisms decrease with age, so you probably just need to decrease her rations.

Does she get a lot of treats? Either cut back on the treats or use her dinner as a treat.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:23 pm

what does she eat? how much? how many extras does she get in a day? that'd be the first place i'd look.

and then i'd just walk. i wouldn't put any weight on her- she's got enough to cart around. but walk. several times a day if possible.

rutibegga
Super Bully

Postby rutibegga » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:24 pm

Exercise her more and cut her food back. Walk her more and play ball with her, or anything she likes that involves running.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:31 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:Fewer calories is the easiest way!
Its great if you want to give her more exercise too, but really she is probably just getting too many calories. Dogs' metabolisms decrease with age, so you probably just need to decrease her rations.

Does she get a lot of treats? Either cut back on the treats or use her dinner as a treat.

She used to get about the amount of food it says she should have about 2 cups i think it was and she gots a good amount of treats too.But Right now when i dont feed her raw she gets about 1 cup per meal and she gets two meals a day of the iams weight loss. We have cut down alot on the treats. She gets about half an hour of excersize a day though and i am going to pick it up. She is still really fat though. She will beg, cry and sometimes bark for more food. Does that mean she needs more food or is just being greedy? And i dont have a finished spring pole yet but she doesnt have any drive for it anyways. :peace:

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:33 pm

And did i mention she is lazy as hell and would rather sleep all day on the couch.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:35 pm

sorry mods, didnt mean to say h***

killeenpits
Adolescent Bully

Postby killeenpits » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:36 pm

I've heard that weight loss formulas actually make a dog gain weight because of the extra corn and grains they put in it. I'd definatly take her off of it. I'd also switch to completely raw. It did wonders for my boy that was overweight.

Du and Henny
Adolescent Bully

Postby Du and Henny » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Try running, human treadmill, and get a higher quality food than iams.

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:42 pm

She might not be used to the reduced amount of food yet, and she's probably missing those treats. You could always add some green beans (fresh or frozen, not canned) or a bit of plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling with spices) to her food to give her a feeling of "fullness". Add the veggies in slowly because too much can give her diarrhea.

Dehydrated chicken breast treats and baby carrots can be good substitutes for traditional dog treats.

Walking is the best exercise for her until she looses more weight and gets in better shape.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:49 pm

BullyBoi wrote: She gets about half an hour of excersize a day though and i am going to pick it up. She is still really fat though. She will beg, cry and sometimes bark for more food. Does that mean she needs more food or is just being greedy?

One of my dogs would happily eat all day if I let him. He's a big piggy.
Because I don't have a yard, they get about 3-3.5 hours of walks a day. Any less and I swear he starts to get chubby in a matter of minutes.

Also, if you're already feeding raw some of the time switching over completely or switching to a better quality kibble might help you out too.
Once I took the dogs off kibble Basil definately lost most of his love handles.
You could also try addinf no fat plain yogurt to help her feel fuller, and it'll be good for her.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:58 pm

what websites are the best and cheapest to get good dog food? :thumbsup: thanks for all the comments and suggestions, i am not going to start weight pull unitl she is in better shape. :peace:

Ivan and Savoy

Postby Ivan and Savoy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:04 pm

Ivan burned his extra weight with less food and MUCH more exercise, like stated before i wouldnt put any weight on her start off with a milk jug and some rocks.
Ivan and Duece are walked twice a day, loads of ball games, tug, playing, and etc.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:26 pm

I think i am going to go with this food, this is rated number 2 on the top five thread. Natures Variety- http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/prod ... =618&Page=

Return to “Health Issues”