fat dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:37 pm

An apple sounds like a good idea. I know Jaydee loves raw baby carrots and would probably eat the whole bag of them. I've never tried the green beans though, but i'm sure she would love them. She is not a picky eater at all. I don't think there is a fruit or veggie she doesn't like.

It's weird how some dogs get so plump and others are so thin.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track! One thing though, and forgive me if someone else said it, I didn't read all the latest replies. Don't cut too much of her food too soon. Cut a little at a time (like maybe 1/4 a cup or even less). You don't want her body to go into starvation mode...it will hold on to calories and make it harder for her to lose weight.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:57 pm

concreterose wrote:Sounds like you're on the right track! One thing though, and forgive me if someone else said it, I didn't read all the latest replies. Don't cut too much of her food too soon. Cut a little at a time (like maybe 1/4 a cup or even less). You don't want her body to go into starvation mode...it will hold on to calories and make it harder for her to lose weight.

I never really measured it, i just went by how much it looked like i had in her bowl. I used to give her about 1- 1/2-2 cups perday and now i gave her about half cup in the mornnings and then i gavee her about 4-6 ounce piece of meat and she eat some canned greenbeans in the afternoon and she liked them! :headbang: , thanks for all the advice , thats to everyone . :peace:

RedNoseSandyRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby RedNoseSandyRose » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:27 pm

But Right now when i dont feed her raw she gets about 1 cup per meal and she gets two meals a day of the iams weight loss. We have cut down alot on the treats. She gets about half an hour of excersize a day though and i am going to pick it up. She is still really fat though.

My Sandy is built the same way as Cali (they seem similar in many mays) :) ...i know how tough it is to monitor their weight. I do as the vet says and she has lost weight but it's definitely a battle. I'm thinking about getting a treadmill I believe she'll like it a lot. My parents will probably kill me if I was to get one cuz there is enough doo-doo in this house already...hahahaha

RedNoseSandyRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby RedNoseSandyRose » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:28 pm

Oh googness I really gotta learn how to do a quote hahahaha I suck at it!

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:49 pm

Make sure that if you're feeding canned beans, that they're the kind without salt. That's why we go with the frozen kind, you can get a giant bag at Sam's club or the like for around $5, at that'll last us a week or two easily.

An apple shouldn't hurt her, though it does have more sugar in it than beans, carrots, pumpkin, etc. I think apple seeds are toxic if many are eaten though, so probably a good idea to remove the core before giving her the apple. Also, remember that any veggies you feed should not be cut too tiny or mashed, as the point is that veggies pass through pretty much undigested, so she'll be full, but not getting any calories from them.

HartagoldAST

Postby HartagoldAST » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:03 am

BullyBoi wrote: She used to get about the amount of food it says she should have about 2 cups i think it was and she gots a good amount of treats too.But Right now when i dont feed her raw she gets about 1 cup per meal and she gets two meals a day of the iams weight loss. We have cut down alot on the treats.

Well as I'm sure others have told you, Iams is cr@p food. Get her on a good quality food. Most of my girls eat approx 1 c of food twice a day. As far as treats, if you are giving them daily, then you need to take out that amount of food to make up for the treats!! (and make sure the treats are good quality as well). If she will eat carrots, broccoli, etc those are much better than a biscuit for her.

She will beg, cry and sometimes bark for more food. Does that mean she needs more food or is just being greedy? And i dont have a finished spring pole yet but she doesnt have any drive for it anyways. :peace:

I wouldn't work her on a springpole or a tire at this point, esp. Her rear is VERY straight, and with all that extra weight, any kind of athletic endeavor is likely to result in a torn cruciate ligament......meaning several thousand dollars of surgery, and months of crate rest (which will make her fatter!!)

I agree with the others - get out there and WALK her. Get a pedometer and start measuring distances, so you can plan to work her up - you won't be able to do long distances for a while, don't overdo it. But each week you should see her stamina improve, and her weight go down.

As far as her acting like she's "starving" all the time......that's normal for a pit bull! LOL The thing is, if even once in a while you give in and let her have some....... she's going to keep it up! Another thing that is successful when people are cutting the kibble back, is the "green bean diet" - get unsalted canned green beans (or frozen if you like, or fresh) and substitute those for some of the kibble. So if she's used to eating 2 c of dry each meal, give her 1 c of dry and 1c of green beans. The dog thinks they're getting a treat, and meanwhile it's just harmless fiber that fills them up.

Another thing to check is her thyroid. Have your vet send in a thyroid panel (not just the T3/T4 they do in office) to see if she has any thyroid problems that could be contributing to her weight.

Good luck!

:peace:

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:37 am

Nature's Variety is excellent! Don't be afraid to cut back on her food even a bit more if she's not losing... My dog Mooches maintains a healthy weight on 1 1/2 cups of NV a day (split between 2 meals) - he's 55 lbs, 7 years old, and gets about the same amount of exercise as your dog.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:07 am

"I wouldn't work her on a springpole or a tire at this point, esp. Her rear is VERY straight, and with all that extra weight, any kind of athletic endeavor is likely to result in a torn cruciate ligament......meaning several thousand dollars of surgery, and months of crate rest (which will make her fatter!!) "

We have cut the food down and she is getting green beans and carrots as a treat. I dont know anything about this, so why is it bad for her rear to be straight? Does it make her more prone to certain things? I am giving her canned green beans (without salt). Going to swith her to NV. She does some running around and jumping in the yard for sticks but nothing to serious. I wont work her on the spring pole or anything yet though(she wouldnt leave the ground even if i did). Thanks for the help everyone :thumbsup: :peace:

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:41 am

I am going to post some pics, how many pounds do you think she needs to lose. Right now she is 18 inches at the shoulder and 51-52 pounds. What would be a ideal weight for her and to aim to get her too in your opinion . I want to get her with a nice tuck in her tummy and to be able to feel ribs with out any pressure.

Ivan and Savoy

Postby Ivan and Savoy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:08 pm

Heres Ivan, again, hes 21inches tall and 55lbs.
What have you been doing with Cali, in the past few days?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:37 pm

BullyBoi wrote:I am going to post some pics, how many pounds do you think she needs to lose. Right now she is 18 inches at the shoulder and 51-52 pounds. What would be a ideal weight for her and to aim to get her too in your opinion . I want to get her with a nice tuck in her tummy and to be able to feel ribs with out any pressure.

I would aim for 3-5 pounds to start, and re-evaluate her from there. Its tough to know for sure, and starting slow will be best for both of you. You should aim for a 1-2% weight reduction every week. Your vet should allow you to use their scale for free if you'd like to do weekly weigh-ins. I would recommend it if you can find the time to do it.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:08 pm

Just start slow and you will see the difference. i started exercising logan more and I don't know if he's lost any weight since i haven't weighed him but I know he is starting to look better his stamina is increasing and he seems 'lighter on his feet'. Here's a pic of before....i don't have a current one yet but will post. He was 70 lbs.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:57 pm

Ivan and Savoy wrote:Heres Ivan, again, hes 21inches tall and 55lbs.
What have you been doing with Cali, in the past few days?

lately i have cut her food down slowly and have started walking her farther each day. I walked her today for about a mile, give or take a little. She doesnt really seem to have a problem with the walking but when she gets home she real sleepy but not much more than usual. Her walk lately have been about 45-1 hour. My scale at home is not very accurate but last time it said she was 50-51 and today at the vet it said she was 47 pounds. I want to get her down too 37-40 pounds but i wont rush it. I would love to get her in the kinda shape angus is in. Thats great looking dog. lol

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:05 pm

Someone tell me if this isn't the norm, but my experience with my dogs is that if they haven't been getting alot of excersise they get really lazy. Once they start being more active, they tend to hit this point where instead of being tired out, they are actually have more energy. I swaer sometimes I think I live with two Energizer Bunnies.....

Return to “Health Issues”