Eye goop?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Eye goop?

Postby Ursa Arctos » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:29 pm

All animal secrete a type of "eye goop". When, if ever, does it become "excessive" and is it ever an indication of a more serious problem? I am curious, because I am visiting my parents, and both my dogs and my cats have a bit of "goopy eye". Nothing appears to be infected and their eyes appear just fine--- is this just a normal occurance? Is there ever reason to be concerned about it?

Thanks!

Samantha
Matured Bully

Postby Samantha » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:45 pm

I wipe my dogs eyes every morning. If it's dark in color then its probably normal...if its yellow or green mucous like,,,,it could be an allergy or some kind of infection. Im sure this isn't true in ALL cases though

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Apollo always has it..but when it gets heavier then normal i take him to the vet, or bc they normally give me Antestpic cream, u can buy at walmart, i'l try that for a few days..

deeviousD
Matured Bully

Postby deeviousD » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:32 am

I read on here that the "eye goop" is food related.Maggie has never had a problem with it, and has been on Nutro Ulta, switched to canadie, now on TW.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:45 am

Reba used to get that a lot, but after we switched to Wellness and raw, it pretty much disappeared.

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:37 pm

Jada always gets more eye goop in the spring and fall when there is lots of pollen. Almost her way of having allergies. It never seems to bother her, but if it does I'll just give her benedryl.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:52 pm

My dogs have always had some clear eye boogers, but I noticed after taking them off kibble that they had much less.
They also seem to increase a bit in the winter, maybe because the windows aren't open and the air in the house is kind of dry and stuffy?

Return to “Health Issues”