A gas question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

A gas question

Postby HugABull1 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:49 pm

I'm hoping barbpony's can answer this, but anyone can feel free to take a shot!

Angel's butt stinks. I'm not talking little stinky dog fart (which is bad enough, any of my pitters can clear a room), I'm talking something BAD inside of her, it smells horrid. Her gas literally smells like rancid garbage (you know, when you go to change the bag and get a whiff?). The poor dog is embarassed by it to boot, she's such a princess :roll:

Anyway, I'm not getting the reason for her gas. She's on BARF just like my other two, I make their food myself. Their diet is GREAT, they eat better than I do. My vet is onboard with their diet and fully approves it. Here's where it gets weirder - my food processor broke, so I was skimping on the veggies for a while. I bought a new one, and have loaded them back up with veggie mash, and PRESTO! The gas is way down. The vet was confused by this, he said adding veggies should've increased the gas if anything. He wasn't very concerned with her stench, but mind you, she wasn't tootin' at the time, and we were talking about hr knees which are a bigger issue.

So why has my dog got such horrid, foul smelling gas when she's on a great, 100% natural, grain free, raw diet? And what can I do about it? She already gets yogurt in her food a few times a week as a probiotic (they get other supplements too).

FTR, Angel has always had a sensitive digestive system, she's my "puker", she throws up on average once per day, always has. She's got an incredibly sensitive stomach. Despite this, she's not prone to diarrhea, her movements are always healthy and firm.

And their diet is about 65% RMB, 20% muscle meat, and the remaining 15% is made up of veggies, offal, fish, and supplements.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby barbponys » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:17 pm

Hmmmmm. I would suspect a nasty brewing, either that or she isn't producing the proper amount of bile. I don't know if dogs are prone to diverticulitis like people............ if she had that she would have the runs. There's always the chance she has an infection brewing in a pocket that wouldn't cause the runs but would smell horrid. I wish I could give you a better answer............I'm really sorry.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:41 pm

Thanks for the attempt barbponys. I don't think she's brewing anything, as this has been going on for months, and as I've said, her poops are good. No signs of infection - no fever, appetite and energy are good. Everything's normal (as normal as Angel gets), except the rank gas, and really, that's becoming "normal" too, as it's been going on a long time.

I'm interested in the bit you said about not producing the right amount of bile - do you have any more info on that? That kind of thing wouldn't surprise me, Angel's a genetic nightmare. Crappy immune system (she's had demodex), allergies and sensitivites, bad legs, growth on her back (which the vet says is pointless to look at unless we get her pain level stabilized for her legs), inverted teats, the list goes on...She's only 2 1/2, and her legs are not correctable surgically. We've just had her checked up and gotten the news it's down to managing her pain for as long as we can :crybaby:
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:34 pm

Anyone with more medical info than me please correct me if I'm wrong.

You said she's a vomits a lot, that and the gas made me wonder if she might have issues with her gallbladder. If there is trouble with that they would be nauseaus and vomit and she wouldn't be producing the necessary bile for proper digestion. I may be completely wrong but with all her other issues I would think it might be a possibility? Just a thought.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:56 pm

Riley had something very wrong with his tummy that only surfaced in the autopsy. He had no problems with the runs but bad gas and threw up at times. No one had any idea and the vet never found anything. I can't remeber what the condition was called but I was so upset at the time I didn't persue it. I know that this isn't very helpful, but I guess my point is keep looking. It's so hard to tell with bullies since they shrug of problems. I'll try to get a copy of his records so I can be more informative.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues