Bladder Infection?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bladder Infection?

Postby Modena » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:52 am

Hey everyone- I was just wondering if anyone else's female has ever had a bladder infection? I noticed Modena trying to urinate friday afternoon, and after about 20 times of nothing happening I called the vet. The vet said that due to the fact that it was 4:15 (and they closed at 6) and that she probably didn't have anything in her bladder they wouldn't be able to get a sample to test it, and that I would have to come in on Saturday. I am thinking that I may not be going back to them anytime soon- that was the last string for me. Time to find a new vet.
Well needless to say I was not going to make her wait until morning.....I wasn't sure how much discomfort she was having. I ended up taking her to teh Emergency Vet, and they got the sample (which the vet said that they wouldn't be able to do) because I did get her to drink a bowl of water before we left the house. They told me that bladder infections were common in females.....but I had a female dog growing up and she never had one. They also told me that if it doesn't clear up that there may be a need to x-ray and see if there are any bladder stones in there. So she is taking Amoxicillin (sp?) and I am hoping that she will be better after this.
I wasn't ready for another $275 bill after that root canal bill :) Does anyone else have similar issues- or any helpful info for me?
Modena

Postby SKoth » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:14 am

Modena-
Bladder infections can be common in young female dogs. My mal pup had chronic UTI's for 2months! And I see them at my hospital all the time. My suggestions would be to give her the amox as close to bed time as possible. This will allow the meds to sit in her bladder for a long period of time. Some people say that vitamin C (not ester-c) will help as well. And make sure that she has constant access to water. Good Luck!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 am

My little girl has had several as well. I just try to walk her in areas that aren't heavily soiled from everyone walking thier dogs there so that she doesn't drag her business through too many germs. Also if she ever gets the runs for some reason make sure that she hasn't gotten any on herself. Though I never saw it or would have cleaned her up, my vet told me last time that this is probably how/when she got her last one.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:30 am

My girl has never had a UTI, she doesn't got to popular dog places though. I also give her acidic fruit fairly regularly, it makes it hard for the bacteria to flourish. She goes ape for pineapple and oranges. She doesn't get a lot, probably the equivalent to half an orange a week. They LOVE cranberry relish so when it's in season they get that fairly regularly too. I hope she doesn't have bladder stones. If x-rays show them make sure you find out what kind they are, struvite or oxylate. Don't let them convince you the only solution is a prescription diet either...........there are other altrernatives. Good luck.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby abman » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:09 pm

The key to curing bladder infections for good is to make sure the dog has access to water all of the time and also make sure they hold it as least as possible. When dogs have to hold their pee too much a bladder infection is highly likely. I had a beagle that would often get bladder infections and it made a big difference when i added canned foods to her diet. The water content made a huge difference. I even added pieces of watermelon during the summer, although not too much.

The two main causes of bladder infections are dehydration and the bladder remaining full for too long which causes bacteria to build up. If the dog gets plenty of water and pees often the infection should clear up for good.

Oh yeah, a diet of just dry dog food can strip water out of a dog super fast which can further dehydrate the dog.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby Modena » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:55 pm

Thanks for all the info.....she seems to be doing much better. I don't know that she holds it because she is constantly having accidents in her crate throughout the time periods that she is in there. I do notice that she squats a bit low to the grass- so she may be catching some bacteria there. We don't go anywhere that there are other dogs- when we walk she doesn't go to the bathroom- only in our yard.

Thanks again for all the info! I will keep you posted if anything should change.
Modena

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:38 pm

If she is having accidents in her crate it is probably from the infection. UTI can be hidden for a long time before you actually see the animal slowing down from them.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby SKoth » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:47 am

Modena-
Abman is right that can cause infections. However, just the opposite can be true as well. My little girl couldn't get over her's because of too much water. Ok- that sounds odd right???? Here's how it works. When doing a urinalysis you test for the specific gravity of the urine. This is sorta like how dilute the urine is. Because my little girl is a typical neurotic Mal she drinks drinks drinks. So what happens is her urine is always very dilute. Normally the urine has a certain concentration. This concentration acts like a harsh environment that prevents bacteria from growing. When it's too dilute it's perfect for bacteria. I have never heard of any dog getting any type of UTI from where they go, it's really a systemic issue. Don't worry too much about it. Her body will eventually normalize the bladder and she should be just fine.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

cranberry juice for bladder infection

Postby Conan&Rosie » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:00 pm

I actually gave my puppy cranberry juice when he had a bladder infection. When I told the vet he laughed and said if he drinks it and it works, great!
Conan&Rosie

Return to Health Issues