Diarhea from Wellness??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Diarhea from Wellness??

Postby Awesome_PIT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:42 am

Any one elses dog get the runs from Wellness?? My dog has been on Wellness Fish and Sweet potatoes for 2 months and now hes had the runs for about 2 weeks. The pet stores around here dont sell Canidae or Innova or Timberwolf. I dont know what to do??
Awesome_PIT

Postby Awesome_PIT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 am

ok i just found a place that sells Canidae, its about 25 mins away and i have one more ? Because he already has diarhea, should i still mix his old food with his new for a while or just switch it cold turkey?? Thanks a lot
Awesome_PIT

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:53 am

If your dog has been on this food for two months and the runs are recent I would look to another culprit before I jumped to a diet switch. I just went through about 8 weeks of horrible runs with my dog for what was believed to be food related. It may or may not have been a combination of that and other things though.

Also, the Wellness is a better food than the Canidae. Many people have been reporting problems with it recently and you never really hear about them from the Wellness. Is there a condition as to why you are using the F&SP? Can you try one of the Super5's?
moto1320
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:35 am

I agree with Moto 100%, if he's been fine till recently usually he's gotten into something or has some kind of intestinal issue. If he's been drinking out of streams, or rivers and what not I would suspect Giardia. It's a nasty little bugger and can be difficult to get rid of. If you aren't dealing with allergies you might try the chicken or lamb, rotating through the formulas isn't a bad idea anyway, variety is a good thing. If you stay with in a brand you shouldn't have problems with tolerance.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Awesome_PIT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:03 pm

Fish and sweet potatoe is the only one they have in my area. I believe. I actually just found out another place that sells wellness in my area and im going there today after work to see which ones they sell. My puppy has a vet appt. tommorow so im going to see what they reccommend. Thanks for the advice :peace:
Awesome_PIT

Postby Awesome_PIT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:05 pm

One more quick question, in case is is Giardia, what exactly is it?? How would it be treated.
Awesome_PIT

Postby moto1320 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:01 pm

Interesting....Fish and Sweet Potato is usually a food used for dogs with allergys. The Super5 mix Chicken or Lamb is much more widely sold. Maybe ask your pet store if they will get it. If they are ordering from that company in the first place there is no reason not to get a different food in the same line.

Giardia is a bacteria that dogs and humans can contract as well,from many things, usually water contamination. Think: People drinking the water in Mexico. :tongue: My Vet perscribed Metronidazole to cover Giardia or other types of bacterial overgrowth two 250mg caps twice a day. A heavy dose for a dog that didn't show Giardia on tests, but thats what it took.
Last edited by moto1320 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby D » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:14 pm

what does everyboby on here think about premium edge
D

Postby Awesome_PIT » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:32 pm

I found a place that sells all the different formulas of Wellness. His appt isnt until next week, i had the wrong date. So should I go and by the Super 5 mix and see if there is any improvement. I would like to keep him on the Fish and Sweet Potato, his coat is beautiful.

Thanks
Awesome_PIT

Postby moto1320 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:34 pm

I would wait until after the Doctors visit. You don't want to be in the position I was in, on meds and in the middle of a food switch. That way you don't know what stoppepd the runs when something works. You will have the nice coat on any of the Wellness foods. The second main protien source in the Super5 Lamb is fish anyway. Good luck.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Awesome_PIT » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:00 pm

Thanks for the info Moto. I will wait. You were a great help
Awesome_PIT

Postby turtle » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:57 pm

Has anyone tried the new Premium Edge Adult Dog Skin & Coat kibble? I used to feed the Adult Chicken Premium Edge and it was a decent food. I see they have improved a lot of the formulas and brought out this new food for dogs with skin problems.

It looks like a good food to me, it has Salmon and Salmon Meal for the first 2 ingredients. Here is a link:

www.premiumedgepetfood.co..._page.html

Might be a good alternative to the Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato and other allergy foods.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues