cali keeps coughing and choking!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BullyBoi

cali keeps coughing and choking!

Postby BullyBoi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Does anyone know what could be wrong with her? Well since i have had her she has had about 3 coughing spells. it normally starts after she eats something. The first two times it happened after she eats grass i think. But both of those times it went away in under a week. Well we accidently left her kong toy in her crate when we put her in there and she must of been chewing it and when my mother came home she had this cough. It is like she is chokeing and coughing. It seems that she is trying to cough something up that is stuck in her throat or something like that. I havent taken her to the vet yet because it normally goes away. It started about 3 days ago and was going away ( was starting to get less and less)but she got all excited earlier and now it is back full. I will post some vids of her doing it.Does anyone have any idea of what it could be or have seen it before? I dont think it is anything really serious (atleast i hope not). Any ideas on what i could do for her? i gave her some yogurt and it helped a little.
http://media.putfile.com/coughing-1

http://media.putfile.com/coughing-1

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:30 pm

Do you think that i should reach and try and feel anything in her throat or maybe it is just an irritated throat because each time she coughs up some white spit. She was tested for worms and she was negative a sohrt while ago.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:38 pm

I can't see the videos for some reason, but my dogs will sometimes have little coughing episodes when they have something in their throat, usually hair from grooming eachother (did I mention they seem to think they're cats?).
Other circumstances that I've seen them do it is when they drink water from a drinking fountain or swallow a treat too fast when we're working on training. In all cases they sometimes spit up white foamy spit, which usually lands on me.
BUT, this never happens for days at a time, except for once when Streets ate some stuffing from a toy. That is what would seem a bit strange to me.
Has the vet listened to her heart? I ask because you mentionned it happened after she got excited.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:53 pm

Yea the vet listened to her heart and said everything was normal.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:54 pm

She may have swallowed a little of her kong toy but it would of onlu been a small piecee probaly because she spits is all out.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:18 pm

I would suggest taking your dog back to the vet, and show him the videos. I don't know enough about coughs to have any idea, but the type of cough, and the fact that she's producing the foam can help your vet determine if she might need x-rays to check for megaesophagus (very unlikely), collapsing trachea (common in smaller dogs) or something similar.

Or maybe its just a bit of tracheal irritation and your vet could send you home with a cough suppressant. If I was hacking up giant slime balls like that, I'd certainly want something to help with the cough...

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I would suggest taking your dog back to the vet, and show him the videos. I don't know enough about coughs to have any idea, but the type of cough, and the fact that she's producing the foam can help your vet determine if she might need x-rays to check for megaesophagus (very unlikely), collapsing trachea (common in smaller dogs) or something similar.

Or maybe its just a bit of tracheal irritation and your vet could send you home with a cough suppressant. If I was hacking up giant slime balls like that, I'd certainly want something to help with the cough...

I hope it is just irritation but who knows. If it doesnt clear up i will get her to the vet and what is megaesophagus?Thanks for the info.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:51 pm

megaesophagus is where the esophagus loses muscle tone for various reasons and doesn't keep food down. It can swell with food and cause problems with the trachea. If she's not regurgitating, its probably not a problem. It was more of an example, because a video like what you have (a diagnostic dream for a vet) is a great way to show your vet EXACTLY what is happening. Its kind of like telling your mechanic that your car makes a squealing noise, but its not making noise right now... most times they look at you funny, because a million things can cause that, so the type of noise doesn't help much.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:13 pm

okay got ya! :thumbsup:

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:15 pm

I would take her to the vet she could have something stuck somewhere, the longer you leave it could open up a worse scenerio like infection or trauma to the easophagus.

Kara

hope she's okay

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:51 pm

I hope she is ok too, my vet isnt open tommrow and it seems that it is not as bad as yesterday and i gave her a load of food then made her throw up with some peroxide (followed the sticky) well i hoped it would have got anything stuck in her throat out but i dont think it worked. If things dont get anybetter today then she is gonna be at the vet tommrow.

dadams312
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby dadams312 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Sugar goes through those every once in a great while...but hers is if she bangs her throat into something, generally me when we are playing...she'll run up on me and catch her throat on my leg, or arm then start coughing and hacking for a while. Never last too long though.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm

It seemed like it was wearing down for a while and she was calm not doing anything and it wasnt bothering her but then my dad came home and she got all excited running around and started coughing and hacking. This really sucks :sad: .

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 pm

I think I woudl also opt for the vt.
I hpe she is O.K.
Darn, there seem to be a lot of members dogs getting sick lately and it really sucks!
Let us know when you get home from the vet tomorrow please.

BullyBoi

Postby BullyBoi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:31 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I would suggest taking your dog back to the vet, and show him the videos. I don't know enough about coughs to have any idea, but the type of cough, and the fact that she's producing the foam can help your vet determine if she might need x-rays to check for megaesophagus (very unlikely), collapsing trachea (common in smaller dogs) or something similar.

I will try and show him the vids but i dont think it will help muc (1 inch screen and no sound). And i will let you know how she is doing tommrow.

Return to “Health Issues”