not so good news for Pete's leg

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

not so good news for Pete's leg

Postby katch22 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:12 am

Ugh - so I took Pete to the vet -(see bites or blisters thread), and it turns out that it was probably just a sting or a bite, but looked worse because of the licking and his allergies -- However - some of you may know - that we got Pete b/c an old neighbor/idiot kicked him down a flight of stairs and broke his leg in 3 places - then left him liket hat for a month. Finally after calling cops and HS - we ended up taking him and getting him the surgery he needed. We knew it was risky b/c he had a severe break and a fracture where it had begun to heal incorrectly - but after a month - we took him in for follow up and everything was great!

5 months later - go to the vet for bug bite and he says that Pete's elbow is twice the size it should be -- I feel so stupid, like I should have known! I truly could not tell. His muscles were completely atrophied sp? when we first got him - so I jsut assumed that that is how he should look.

Now more x rays - He already has arthritis (b/c they let it go so long), and always will. So now I am afraid of amputation. That would be so tough after all we have done to get him to this point! It just sucks - i really hate the guy who did this to him!! I am fully aware that some dogs have it way worse, I am just pissed. We nearly broke the bank witht he first surgery, and now we were doing so well with him. Anyway - I am having a pitty (ha ha ) party for me and Pete! Thanks for letting me go off.
katch22

Postby jmann4 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:33 am

Sorry to hear that! Hope you don't have to amputate.
jmann4

Postby mnp13 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:34 am

Why would you need to amputate for arthritis?
mnp13

Postby elegy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:56 am

i'm not sure why you'd have to amputate in poor pete's case, but generally speaking, dogs do really well with it.

in case that's any comfort.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby jmann4 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:01 pm

mnp13 wrote:Why would you need to amputate for arthritis?

It's not just the arthritis, it's a combination of his elbow is twice the size it should be AND it already has arthritis. Plus he has already had it broke, and operated on to boot.

Several things there.
jmann4

Postby SuperNova » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:11 pm

Poor guy! :sad:
SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby katch22 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 pm

jmann, you are exactly right! They knew that it was a risky surgery to begin with. It was a unique break with the added fracture from the stress of the way it had started growing back. He had to be crated for 8 weeks straight. It sucked and was very difficult for all of us. They said that the only reason that they did not amputate to begin with was because he was so young and they really wanted to salvage the leg. I am not opposed to having a 3 legged dog, it's just that we worked so hard to get him here. I just hate to put him through any surgery again. Anyway - I am hoping that there is nothing seriously wrong. My vet told me about some new elbow replacement surgery that they are just now trying in Iowa?? Who knows, we will just have to wait and see what the xrays say. I am just disappointed that the hospital said that after one follow up visit that he was healing fine and shouldn't need to come back. I am probably just feeling guilty because I feel like I should have noticed sooner and that maybe I could have caught it earlier if we had taken him back again. Not to mention the cost. I hate to focus on that b/c I would do anything for him. We just sunk so much into it the first time, that I cannot imagine doing it again, but we'll do what we have to. Thanks to everyone for their concern. Katch
katch22

Postby blover27 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:20 am

good luck to you and your pup katch....i know its rough :sad:
blover27

Postby moto1320 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:40 am

Good luck to you guys Katch. We'll be thinking about you guys. I know an orthopedic surgeon and several vet students. I ask around for you.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby SKoth » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:54 am

Hey Katch,
If it means anything we have had a couple of dogs at my A.H. that have had amputations and they adjust very easily and very quickly. We even had a 12y yorkie with a front leg amp. and she was bouncing around in her cage two days later. Not only that but three legged dogs get soooo much attention. Everyone wants to know what happened, they feel bad for them, and want to show them lots 'o love. So, if your boy likes to be the center of attention this could have a bright side. Best of luck to you guys!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby Boo439 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:00 am

Awww, poor Pete. We'll be thinking about you and hoping all goes well :pray
Boo439

Postby katch22 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:02 pm

Thanks so much all for the sweet posts. Xrays have been sent from the hospital to my vet - so I will keep ya'll posted. It really sucks b/c right now, we can only do walks (no running / jumping), so he is pretty anxious. I appreciate all the support. You guys are great!
katch22

Return to Health Issues