any other way to force nutrition?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

any other way to force nutrition?

Postby skybyrd » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:54 pm

the little one we are trying to save from tick fever has gone downhill. we are trying to force pedialyte and babyfood in with a syringe, but she's not really swallowing the baby food, and she's figured out that if she doesnt open her teeth with the syringe, she doesnt have to swallow.

the last few times shes really fought. as much ended up on me as went down her throat. i'm also afraid we got some in her lungs last time cause she started coughing.

is there anything else we can do?

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:04 pm

I doubt you got some into her lungs since you'd have to push it pretty far down her throat. I would continue to syringe feed her the baby food. Hold her mouth shut after you squirt it into her mouth, rub her throat and blow gently at her nose. She should swallow after a few seconds.

You can also use some Nutri-Cal. Since it's syrupy it's a little harder for her to spit out. Is she drinking water on her own at all?

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:08 pm

no, not at all.

other thing we were wondering is if pushing only pedialyte was a bad thing? should we be alternating it with plain water?

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:15 pm

What type of tick disease specifically does she have? What type of medication did the doctor put her on and for how long? Is she in renal failure as well?

If she's not drinking water at all on her own I'd ask your vet if you can put her on IV fluids or if you can do SQ fluids at home. If you can get her hydrated it's more likely that she'll get her appetite back.

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Canine Ehrlichiosis is what she's got.

vet said her hemoglobin was at 10-14% i think he didnt suggest an iv/hospitalization cause she's so small.. 1.5lbs.

no emergency number on the vet's card though.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:47 pm

I would get her on IV or SQ fluids first thing in the morning. SQ obviously less expensive since you'll do them at home. E. Tick infections are pretty serious and can lead to kidney disease. She should also be on doxycycline (or amoxi) too.

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:41 am

SKoth wrote:I would get her on IV or SQ fluids first thing in the morning. SQ obviously less expensive since you'll do them at home. E. Tick infections are pretty serious and can lead to kidney disease. She should also be on doxycycline (or amoxi) too.

She is doing a little better about taking water, but still not drinking on her own. She is urinating ok, though its a tad dark in color. We got some more baby food into her and she swallowed most of it.

She is on Doxycycline. Because of her weight, she is supposed to get 5mg twice a day. Because the pills cannot be divided up that small without being pulverized in teh process, she is receiving 12mg once a day.

We are gonna get some nutracal tomorrow (petstore was closed already) and see if that works better than the baby food, or alternate the 2. She is kinda going up and down - she will be fine for a few hours, and then crash for a few hours, but with how anemic she is, it kinda makes sense. So far, she is no where near as bad as the little boy was at this point. She did get up and walk around tonight (since Sky's last post).

Gotta get her through tomorrow, and then into the vet on monday first thing for a transfusion (the vet got a "donation" set aside for her in case we need it).

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:42 am

What are SQ fluids, and how do I get them?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:17 am

SQ is Sub Cutaneous (which just means below the skin) They are fluids injected under the skin, rather than administered IV (intraVenously (into the blood stream) ) Slower acting, but can be done at home.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:27 am

You could also buy some vanilla Ensure, (never feed dogs any chocolate)it is a liguid food supplement, loaded with nutriton. It used to be advertised for seniors that couldn't eat, but now it is more popualr for today's nutrition on the go society. You cna get it at any drug store and a lot of grocery stores too.
That and the already suggested, Nutra Cal .
Good luck with that baby.

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:46 am

From a large animal background.. but we allways "tubed" them.. Maybe a small tube would work? I don't know if its common on dogs??

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:27 am

I must thank Skoth, I think you saved the puppy's life.

Your suggestions about keeping her mouth closed and working her throat helped us get 3 tsp of food and 4 syringes of liquid in this morning.

She's already doing better than last night, and I'm back to cautious optimism.

THANK YOU!

dr961
Super Bully

liquid supplements

Postby dr961 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:57 pm

skybyrd wrote:...suggestions about keeping her mouth closed and working her throat helped us get 3 tsp of food and 4 syringes of liquid in this morning.

***If you can get it, there's a product called Dyne, sometimes called Pounds Plus, which comes in a brown plastic bottle which is good for dogs who won't eat. It is a very high calorie thick liquid which can be mixed with water and given via a syringe holding the mouth closed and making a pocket by pulling out their lower lip toward the back.
I've ordered Dyne from dog supply places. Check out a few like
directpet.com, kvvet.com, and omahavaccine.

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:10 pm

We went out and got some nutri-cal today. She ate some off of my fingers (huge improvement over having to force feed everything) and did not fight as I started putting it in her mouth. The directions state 3 tsps. per 10 pounds for dogs that are not eating per day, she is 1.5 pounds and ate probably ate 1 tsp in just one sitting. :)

She is much more responsive today, is sitting up when she sees us, and is moving about much better.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:11 pm

skybyrd wrote:I must thank Skoth, I think you saved the puppy's life.

Your suggestions about keeping her mouth closed and working her throat helped us get 3 tsp of food and 4 syringes of liquid in this morning.

She's already doing better than last night, and I'm back to cautious optimism.

THANK YOU!

By all means! If anyone knows how stressful it is to have a sick dog it's me!

Importantly, is she on antibiotics? She really should be...

Return to “Health Issues”