any other way to force nutrition?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:46 pm

yes, since friday, doxycycline. And the vet opens at 8am tomorrow morning, so its back up there to see how well she's doing and maybe get a blood transfusion.

She's continuing to do okay. She's well enough that she's getting picky about how/where she sleeps. If she's not in a comfortable position, she lets you know. Its a good sign, IMO.

The only thing that is a bit worrying is that we found another tick on her as late as yesterday afternoon. She's such a ball of fluff that finding ticks is hard, but we keep searching and no new ones since yesterday.

Right now she's helping hubby play World of Warcraft on his computer. :))

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:46 am

I'm glad to hear she's on doxy. You may want to have her on it for an extended period. Keep us updated!

adcolley
Newborn Bully

Postby adcolley » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:44 pm

we had to make the decesion this morning to have her pts. This morning, after showing alot of signs of improvement the past 2 days, she was no longer regulating her body temp. (she was down to 91 degrees), was unable to focus on anything and was showing other signs of mental incap. due to lack of oxygen, and her skin, gums, etc. were white (not pale, but greyish white). She was also having trouble breathing and was still severly dehydrated, and was quickly losing muscle control (she was like a rag doll).

The vet was willing to try the transfusion, and did feel it would keep her alive short term, but because she had faded so fast and was so far downhill, did not feel it would make a difference long term. Had we not been forcing fluids and food, the vet said she probably would have died this past weekend.

I know that this was the best for her, to let her go now and not stretch all this out when her chances of making it were almost none, and it would not have been fair to put her through all that and letting her get worse and fade, but part of me still is saying that we should have tried.

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:50 pm

I know hun. I wanted to try too.

But then I thought of all she must be going through, confused, and unable to move where she wanted, when she wanted.

And we did try. We got almost 0 sleep this weekend trying, and it still wasn't enough. I don't think we could have done anything more.

I'm glad I let her cuddle with me all night though. At least she had that.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl. You guys did everything you could. Tick borne diseases can be devastating and can cause problems for years following infection. I'm glad she found loving hands to spend her last days with. My condolences.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:55 pm

Awww, I'm very sorry for your loss. You tried so hard to help her. :frown:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Oh no, I am so very sorry.
I was just coming to read the good news (I thought)
:sad:
I think you did what was best for your little one, please don't think otherwise and cause yourself more grief.
Take care of your selves please.

Return to “Health Issues”