walking the dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

walking the dog

Postby D » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:09 pm

how long should you wait before you walk your dog around the block,my dogs only bout 10 weeks but my mom says that I should never take him out of the yard cause then he will want to jump the fence.
D

Postby Demo Dick » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:16 pm

Oh dear lord...

You need to get some good books on raising and training a new puppy. I'm sure someone will respond to this thread with good references for you.

Demo Dick
Demo Dick

Postby PsychoMedic » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:20 pm

Geeez D!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND GO TO THE BOOKSTORE!

NOW!!!

Why are you still reading this....GO GO GO GO GO.
PsychoMedic

Postby elizer » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:24 pm

or stay on the computer and go to google and type in
"walking puppies causes fence jumping"
elizer

Postby Chocolate Thunda » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:26 pm

Tell your mom to read a book!
Chocolate Thunda
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby damienApbt » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:31 pm

then tell her to get a bigger fence
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:07 pm

Walking your dog will not cause him to jump a fence.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby LoveABull » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:19 pm

quite the opposite... especially with this breed... you MUST take your dog out... walk them around, introduce them to EVERYONE... SOCIALIZE! SOCIALIZE! SOCIALIZE!!! introduce them to the (friendly) neighborhood dogs while your pup is still too young to know he's supposed to be aggressive to other dogs... who knows, it may help... let everyone in the neighborhood meet and greet your dog, this serves several purposes... people see you don't have a killer, you have a DOG, they know what your dog LOOKS like so if it ever gets away/gets stolen/ etc they can identify the dog and let you know they saw it, and it gets your dog used to as many people as possible and makes them much more likely to never be aggressive to anyone... confine your dog to your back yard and they know no-one, and no-one knows your dog... it will create fearfullness and fear-aggression.

also, i'm no expert, but i would think that confining the dog to the backyard would make them more likely to jump the fence, because they wanna see what they are missing, if you at least take them out and about, they will satisfy thier curiosity... but then again, i'm no expert, so don't quote me on that one.
LoveABull

Postby Motodiva » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:36 pm

Taking your dog out is great for you and the pup, however, be careful until you have all of the shots up to date. There are all sorts of nasties on the ground and your little dog can get very sick. If you take him out before then you might want to carry him most of the time so he doesn't pick anything up.

Our dogs are very prone to parvo and it will take down a puppy in a matter of days. Once you get the shots you should be fine!

Enjoy walking that dog, it will make both of you healthier and happier!

Sanya
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby D » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:50 pm

where can you find some books cause I need one.the pet store that I buy my dog food doesnt have any.
D

Postby jmann4 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:00 pm

D wrote:where can you find some books cause I need one.the pet store that I buy my dog food doesnt have any.

Online. The Library also has books about dog training. Stay with the current though as the 1970 versions are a bit outdated.
jmann4

Postby Fish » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:34 am

Fish

Return to Health Issues