How to tell if your pit will be big or small

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chewalotopus

Postby chewalotopus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:49 am

Hey guys. I've been involved in APBT rescue for a number of years now (not heavily, but I've done my share), and from experience I can say that 6 weeks is definitely too young for a pup to be away from mom and litter. My husband and I got our second dog when she was just 5.5 weeks (we also picked up her mom and littermates that hadn't been taken yet). Unfortunately, our home wasn't large enough to accomodate 7 pups, mom dog, our existing dog and two cats, so we fostered her and her brother. Our dog is 2.5 years now, and she's a real quirky dog. We did not have problems with bite inhibition with her, but she is pretty anxious about life in general.

Recently, we had some ignorant (didn't know any better!!!) friends that decided that they wanted a pit bull, so they picked one up that was only 4.5 weeks!!!!!!!! I was really distrought about it, and I knew that they wouldn't be able to keep it (they aren't allowed to have pets at thei apt. building!), so I told them that if they needed help with it that I would be able to do so. Turns out a week after that, we eneded up taking the wee babe home. we still have him (we may adopt him out, but he's still too young). You may ask why didn't I have them return him to his mother and littermates? Well, I took the high road and decided that I could give this dog a better start to getting a great home than the breeder. The guy was just breeding the dogs to make money. He didn't care about who got them or how healthy they were - they hadn't even been de-wormed! I'd had experience with pups this young before, so I knew what to expect and what to do. Just in case you're wondering - I weighed Otter (the new pup) today and he's 9.6 pounds. He was born on Feb. 27th, 2006.

ANYWAY, there IS some literature out there about growth rates in puppies. I found the following a long time ago on another forum, and my vet told me approximately the same thing:

It shows the approx month to percentage of total weight for puppies.
This chart is from, "Breeding a Litter" by Beth J. Finder Harris:

age (in mo).....Adult Wt. %

However, lots of people on this board will tell you that your dog is going to fill out more after he stops growing vertically, up to the age of about 18 months or even 2 years old. Having 2 dogs over that age, I will tell you the same thing.

Remember that it's not important how big they get - what really matters is that they're happy and healthy, with good manners to boot. Good luck with your pup! :thumbsup:

skybyrd
Adolescent Bully

Postby skybyrd » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:09 pm

I know with me, its not that I care what size she is, but more a curiosty, as well as health concerns. If I knew her parentage, and knew what size she'd likely be, then I'd know more if something is wrong. Our 6-7 month old baby hasn't grown much either up or out since we got her. It'd be nice to know, to quiet the lingering worries.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:07 pm

my girl stoped growing in height at 6months..where my boy AB hasn't stoped growing in height. at 1 yrs of age.

chewalotopus

Postby chewalotopus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:30 pm

skybyrd wrote:If I knew her parentage, and knew what size she'd likely be, then I'd know more if something is wrong. Our 6-7 month old baby hasn't grown much either up or out since we got her. It'd be nice to know, to quiet the lingering worries.

I wouldn't worry unless your vet gives you a reason to (assuming you've talked to him/her about it - sounds like you most likely have if you're concerned). Since you don't know what the parents were like - does that mean your dog is from a rescue organization or shelter?

Our first dog is from a big dog rescue here in Chicago, and at the time we adopted her, they told us that she was about three months old, which would have made sense for her size. Later down that road we discovered that she was really almost five months old when we adopted her...amongst other things they didn't tell us. The way I found out that my dog was older than we were told is that she had already lost all of her incisors (and her adult ones were in already) and was starting to lose her back teeth. At any rate, she never really got very big - she's only a 35 pound ball of muscle and energy!

It is likely that one or both of your dog's parents were (are) small AND/OR she's a bit older than you were told (unless you KNOW for sure that she was born on a specific date).

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:47 pm

Kaiser was a little bit (around 7 lbs) they said 6 weeks, but I think he was older. (He is mixed, but don't know what with). But he had worms SO bad. Anyhoo, out of a bad situation and I didn't know any better.

He's now 5 years old and his quirk is eating cloth, but otherwise quite the great little dog. His top weight has been 33 lbs. (at around 3 years old) and the vet yelled at me and told me he was fat and FAT he was. Too many treats.

He weighs 30 lbs. now and is healthy and happy. I tease that he's mixed with chihuahua :) but I love his size.

Good luck with your pup.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

aww my girl was about 4 lbs at 8 weeks old.. pure bred little girl..she's 33 lbs.. ideal weight ..could use a little bit more muscle.

the_flamingo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby the_flamingo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:43 pm

Jaha was 9 lbs at 12 weeks old and he is now 41-42ish pounds at just over 20 months old. All dogs grow at different rates though.

Return to “Health Issues”