RAW Feeding Journal

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Dan_S

RAW Feeding Journal

Postby Dan_S » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:48 am

Hi Everyone, i've decided to start an online Journal of my switch over to RAW Feeding my animals. I hope this helps educate people on what it is, why some of us choose to do it, and dispel some of the myths.

DAY 1 (Yesterday)

Bought about 2 days worth of food to try it.
Pack of Chicken Thighs (2.50)
2 Packs Fast Fry Steak (1$ Each)
Chicken Gizzards (1$)
2 Packs Sardines (2$ Each)

So i spent about 7.50$ and got 4 full meals. A little pricey but i didn't goto a large supermarket and buy bulk and buy reduced, which i will be doing tomorow.

Breakfast - 1 Chicken Thigh, Handful of Gizzards, 2 Sardines.
MJ Inhaled her food for the first time, she has always been very picky, even leaving cans of Pedigree and Eukanuba in her dish.

Evening Meal - Same as breakfast.

Dog seemed content, did not bother me like normal for food, slept well all night.

rutylr

Postby rutylr » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:53 am

if you go to this site it will help you make a spread sheet so you know how much to feed each dog and what.
http://www.rawdogranch.com/howmuch.htm#spreadsheet

Dan_S

DAY 2

Postby Dan_S » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:09 am

DAY 2

Breakfast : Steak & Chicken GIblets

Supper: Chicken, Chicken Giblets & Sardines

MJ Is drinking much less water and didn't have a bowel movement yesterday. Gonna take her out lots today and keep an eye on her.

Will prolly up the meat a bit and reduce the bones and get some Pumpkin in a Can as is recomeneded by a lot of sites.

I think the problem is she inhales the food, rather than chewing the bones properly. Gonna take a hammer to her chicken today first

rutylr

Postby rutylr » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:23 am

You don't need to brake up the bones they will do that ones it is inside of them.My APBT puppy who is 4 months old eats whole wings with not alot of chewing or braking either.They also eat whloe chicken legs with no problem.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:29 am

If you are worried about the bones, you can usually find ground chicken. I buy either whole ground chicken or ground chicken backs and necks. The bone is there but there isn't the risk of blockage. Also I beleive when the bones are ground they become more 'bioavailable' allowing for better nutrition to be extracted. I don't feed the chicken back and neck mixture on it's own because I found that it was a bit too much bone so I mix it in with whatever other meat usually red meat I am feeding. That way they get their bones and their meat together.

Are you planning on feeding any vegetables? supplements or anything?

kara

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:32 am

Oh and I also want to ask about the sardines, are they frozen, fresh or canned? You need to watch canned fish because it can be really high in sodium and contain other things such as sulphites that are not great for dogs (or people). Try looking in the frozen food section for fish or buy fresh.

kara

Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pinkpitbull » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:19 pm

One thing you can do if you are concerned about the lack of chewing is to freeze the wings and legs. I have to do this with Sasha so that she has the benefit of some chewing. I have never had a problem. I also throw a scoop of plain yogurt into the bag that I am going to freeze.

NatX
Matured Bully

Postby NatX » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:11 pm

Since your feeding a homemade raw diet or along BARF guidline you will need to add veggies to the dogs diet to insure complete nutrtion. Not to sound like a hard A**, but if you didn't know this you need to read more about feeding raw if your doing it self. You live and you learn.

Check out the stickies that Barbpony wrote, it'll help alot to balance things out.

Best of luck!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: DAY 2

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:09 am

Dan_S wrote:DAY 2

Breakfast : Steak & Chicken GIblets

Supper: Chicken, Chicken Giblets & Sardines

MJ Is drinking much less water and didn't have a bowel movement yesterday. Gonna take her out lots today and keep an eye on her.

Will prolly up the meat a bit and reduce the bones and get some Pumpkin in a Can as is recomeneded by a lot of sites.

I think the problem is she inhales the food, rather than chewing the bones properly. Gonna take a hammer to her chicken today first

You have a ton of variety in there for the first few days. I'd strongly caution you against using the 3 differnt protein sources AND offal (which is what I'm assumgin you mean by gizards). I suggest to new raw feeders to feed one protein source for the frist week or two to set a strong foundation and give the dog time to settle into eating Raw.

She will typically drink less water. Raw food has a lot of water in it so she doesn't need to drink as much. She also probably poop less/smaller because her body is using much more and will elliminate less.

Rather than freeze her meat or wack it with a hammer - feed her larger pieces. One item larger than her head will give her a good workout both physically and mentally.

You don't need to feed that much variety every day, rather the goal should be variety overtime. That way you can feed those larger peices that will force her to tear and chew rather than just glup it down.

I also agree with NatX that you really need to do your research. There are a number of Yahoo groups devoted to the various types of Raw feeding. Books by Lonsdale, Pitcarin and Volhard are also popular.

rutylr

Postby rutylr » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:49 am

NatX wrote:Since your feeding a homemade raw diet or along BARF guidline you will need to add veggies to the dogs diet to insure complete nutrtion. Not to sound like a hard A**, but if you didn't know this you need to read more about feeding raw if your doing it self. You live and you learn. Best of luck!

Veggies are not something your dog needs to eat.Tripe is used about once a week here and that is it.
I do agree you do need to reasearch more.
http://b-naturals.com/newsindex.php
http://www.njboxers.com/
http://www.hooliganiws.freeservers.com/page21.html
http://www.rawdogranch.com/feedingrawdiet.htm

NatX
Matured Bully

Postby NatX » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:31 pm

The veggies are not just in there to look pretty. Its the vitamins that comes from those veggies that prey animals would eat that a predator would them get from them when eaten. This point is still questioned by people and other agreewith it, to each thier own.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:51 pm

NatX wrote:The veggies are not just in there to look pretty. Its the vitamins that comes from those veggies that prey animals would eat that a predator would them get from them when eaten. This point is still questioned by people and other agreewith it, to each thier own.

Better to have variety than to miss an essential nutrient...

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:13 am

I agree. i feed vegetables because even though it is argued that dogs can't/won't use the nutrients I figure if only one percent of the nutrients or vitamins are available it is worth it to feed my dogs. It cannot hurt them and help reduce my garbage by reusing some kitchen waste (peels, leftovers over-ripe fruit). I don't find it too difficult. I start with a blender and a cup of water or fresh juice and start blending in spinach, apples, bananas, pears, carrots, cellary, broccolia or cauliflour (little), parsley, and whatever else untlll it's too thick to stir then I pour it into ice cube trays (you can use muffin tins) and freeze. THen i break them apart and store in a big tote in the freezer so at meal times I just take out 2 cubes each for the veggie kick. I also use them as snacks and treats.

kara

Dan_S

Postby Dan_S » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:09 am

Day 3

Breakfast : Gizzards & Chicken Backs again. I pulped up some carrots and lettuce and hid it in the food. She fussed alot but ate most of it.

Supper : (I cheated) She got some cooked Turkey & Ham from the Easter Dinner.

She also had 3 Cans of Sardines at night as she was still hungry i think.

----

Pittiepride : I am planning on a small amount of vegetables, mabye a small handfull once a week mixed into some ground beef. I know to pulp up the vegetables in a food processor. I am not going to introduce supplements. The sardines are from the can, in water. I will look for a good place to buy raw whole fish. Still looking into where to buy.

Natx : Read above, i will be introcing vegetables although a small amount. I have read lots of positive BARF and RAW stories from people and breeders. I think both diets work very well.

FransterDoo : Thanks for the advice, i am going shopping today and will get a base of turkey with a little beef. She really seems to enjoy chicken.

---------

She no longer swallows the chicken backs, she crunches away nicely! I think she's starting to enjoy it now, ripping the meat off and takes a little time to enjoy the bones now.

She HAS LOTS more energy. Everyone has noticed. She's behind me even now begging for a walk even though she was just out 15 minutes ago. I think i'm gonna have to schedule in a weekly trip to my friends farm so she can play with his dog for a couple hours.

I'm gonna adjust her to 2% of her weight as she is overweight right now (About 60 pounds). She put on a lot of weight from the kibble i guess and she layed around the house alot. Her parents are big though.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:01 pm

That sounds great. I find my guys like the vegetable mixtures when it has sweeter foods mixed in, like fruit.

For fish you can get at your grocer frozen or in a china-town type place. The canned fish IMO should be okay but only needed about once per week as a meal. Fish has tons of health benefits but they can also harbor heavy metals and such, therefore I beleive moderation is the key. I like to give my guys either canned (homemade) or poached salmon about once per week mixed with canned tuna. Some of the whitefish (basa, cod) is pretty cheap too. THere's also immitation crab (a little sweet though) as a treat.

kara

Return to “Health Issues”