allergies and anal glands

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

allergies and anal glands

Postby Pinkpitbull » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:16 pm

I just wanted to know if there is a connection between allergies and irritated anal glands? I feed Sasha raw and I read that the glands shouldn't be a problem. She is constantly licking at her back end to the point that I had to relocate her crate to another room. On top of that I am bathing her probably every 3 days. The vet just tells me to give her benadryl. Really, the only allergy symptoms she shows is some itching around her head and ears and the back side licking-if this is related. What should I be doing?

TopesLexAndNova
Matured Bully

Postby TopesLexAndNova » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:53 pm

i dont know if theres a relation but why are you bathing her every 3 days? what allergy does your dog have? have they emptied your dogs anal glands?

Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pinkpitbull » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:06 pm

I bathe her every 3 days because she smells so bad. She licks her back end, then she licks herself all over. This is why I think it might be her glands. As far as to what she is allergic, I don't know. I was told just to give her benadryl. I told the vet about her face itching her and her ears as well and she said it was allergies.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:22 pm

Pinkpitbull, it seems you are not getting the full story from your vet. There are literally hundreds (thousands??) of things she could be allergic to. Allergens can range from chicken to dust and everything in between! There is no way that Benadryl is just the be-all end-all answer to the problem. (Although it could, potentially, help so if it isn't then I wouldn't continue giving it.) The base of the tail is actually a common allergy-afflicted area so it probably is related to the allergic reactions you are seeing on her face.

I'm about to get Lola tested to pinpoint the source of her troubles. I am now certain that her issues are purely environmental since the second my human friends started complaining about their allergies acting up, the redness and itching Lola had last summer returned. My vet charges $250 for a series of the most common allergens (both food and environmental) but I am going to negotiate an environmental-only panel and hopefully save a bunch of money. As far as I know this is the only way to get to the bottom of this type allergy problem and subsequently know how to treat it.

If your dog's issues don't seem seasonal it could be a food issue. You can try to pinpoint it with an elimination diet but even that may not completely solve the problem.

Good luck,
Meredeth

Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pinkpitbull » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Thanks- I am probably going to give the vet another call. I searched allergies on here and google and I didn't realize just how allergic a dog could be. At first I thought it was the cheap food the other owners were giving her, but latrely it seems to be worse. I am not sure if it seasonal since I have not had her for a full year yet, but it seems to be. It started to get really bad about january and February. As for the Benadryl, it didn't do squat. I suppose it is about time for a vet visit.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:36 pm

Scratching around the mouth and the butt can be allergies for sure. I would bet that she is chewing right around her anus, not the tail, or possibly the underside of the tail. Benadryl will help, but if she is still possibly eating what she is allergic too than it won't do any good really. I also feed raw, and my female is allergic to all bird meat (chicken, turkey, cornish hen, duck). She is also allergic to wheat and grains. Maybe you are giving some treats that your dog is allergic too, it could be one of the protein sources that you are feeding. Are you feeding different kinds of meat or just one? If you are feeding different kinds, I would switch and just feed one type of meat for a week and see if there is a difference. I would also look at what is in any of the treats that you feed and if there is any wheat or grains other than rice flour I would stop feeding those also to try and narrow down what exactly is causing the reaction. When Muay chews her butt raw, I put a little hydrocortisone cream on it and it takes down the itch.

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:00 pm

I know for Jada, her anal glads only act up spring and fall when she is having allergies to what I'm guessing are higher pollen levels, those are also usually when she's in heat too. Hope you figure out what is wrong!!

Lixx
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lixx » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:17 am

Pinkpitbull wrote:I bathe her every 3 days because she smells so bad.

Is that just for your own sake or did the vet recomend this? Are you just using regular shampoo? The more you bathe the drier her skin will get, therefore the more irritated, the more licking will occur and the smell therefore keeps coming back. I would have an allergy test done to find out what it is she is allergic to and start a supplement for her skin to get back the natural oils. And stop bathing unless there is a medical reason.

pooparella
Super Bully

Postby pooparella » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 am

Our Chauncie has TERRIBLE allergies as well. He is now on a duck and potato diet exclusively (since he seems to do best on it) and we have to manually (if you will) express his anal glands every 4-8 weeks which really seems to help him. Chauncie also scratches under his arms, around his mouth, ears, andremoves all hair from/ chews/licks/makes very red and swollen his paws- top to bottom. We've seen 4 vets and they all make suggestions and shrug their shoulders.

Some suggestions that have worked, at least somewhat and/or for a while:

* Hydrocortisone cream on itchy/hot spots
* Gold bond powder and/or cream on itchy, hard to reach places
* LOTS of Omega 3 and Omega 6 supplements (year round): Fish oil, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, salmon oil, etc.
* Acidopholis (sp?) and yogurt (might need to be goats milk yogurt)
* Benedryl (which you've already tried)
* LOTS of exercise, preferably not on grass or concrete (I know... then what?)
* Vita Caps (purchased by Drs. Foster and Smith catalog/online)
* Malasab pledglets (sp?) for his paws 2x daily and Malasab shampoo

And a few things I know I'm forgetting. We actually purchased a "bite not" collar (www.bitenot.com) to help keep our little guy from eating himself near his genitals, but it only sometimes keeps him from eating his paws, depending on how determined he is. Wearing the collar frequently does not bother him, he can run and play and doesn't hesitate to do stuff in it (and it doesn't freak him out to wear it at all, and he's fearful of many things, including the big edwardian collars) and it has helped to break the habit of chewing, which actually has proven to play a large role in his licking/chewing addiction. One vet really wants to put him on a sort of "doggie prozac" for obsessive compulsive disorder, which may be our next effort. We're also going to find a holistic vet, since we've already been through the steroid shots and follow up antibiotics from Chauncie creating infections. The steroid shots were against my better judgement, and actually made Chauncie worse after a day or two of respite. I thought it was an emergency worth a try... We've also chosen so far to not do the battery of tests, since we've read/been notified that they're not always accurate and they're expensive.

Definitely have your vet show you how to express your dog's anal glands - it ain't pretty, but it's not difficult to do. And try to not bathe your dog more than once a week, it can make matters worse. There's a natural product made by Vet's Best that's a dry wash for cats (and dogs) containing Neem oil, which can also help itching in animals and humans, and many are not allergic to it. You can also make your own Neem oil formula, but it's stinky and you have to get the ratios right. Also, Chauncie likes to lick that too - apparently the stinky stuff has appeal. (BLECH)

pooparella
Super Bully

Postby pooparella » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:23 am

:oops: OOps, I don't know why it posted twice - sorry! It's very late at night, and there's no DELETE button! :oops:

REACTiON
Adolescent Bully

Postby REACTiON » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:10 am

maybe feed her something else...

Pinkpitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby Pinkpitbull » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:44 am

Thanks all- I think I need to say that noone knows more than me how excessive bathing can be hard on a dogs skin. I have groomed/bathed on and off for over 10 years. I guess I also need to point out that this is not a permanent situation she will be in. I am not going back to her regular vet, but I am going to take her to this holistic vet in my area. I have taken her off the raw chicken and she already seems to be improving. She has not bothered her back end in the last few days. I have also been keeping an eye on possible grass allergies. I don't think she has those since she rolled around in fresh cut grass with no problems. I'm thinking she is allergic to the chicken. I hope to know more by the end of the day tomorrow after visiting the holistic vet.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:28 am

Does your holistic vet practice NAET? The AHVMA site will have vets in your areas you can search for practicing specific modalities. Cobi has had anal gland issues on and off and it's always around springtime.

Her allergies are very controllable with the NAET.

~k.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:44 pm

If I think back to when Muay Thai came to live here and we gave her raw chicken, she did chew on her butt alot. We stopped feeding all bird meat and within a few weeks everything was fine.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:05 pm

Tucks medicated pads work great for itchy feet.

Return to “Health Issues”