couple ?'s about conformation/crops

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

couple ?'s about conformation/crops

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:33 pm

i was wondering why blue eyes are a major fault in conformation?

also i heard that there are short and high ear croppings, short for a wider face it hink and high for a longer face?

im set on cropping my pups ears how do u think his should be cropped?

elizer

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:34 pm

should ig ive my little pup some colored contacts?

roflmao roflmao
elizer

Postby blover27 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:39 pm

yeah yeah colored contacts! maybe something that look like lizard eyes or something...that would be super cool! :cool:
blover27

Postby texas pit stop » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:41 pm

Nice looking pup! I would definitely go with a short crop.Personally I prefer to leave my animals as "natural" as possible,but I heard when you said you were "set on it".My first Pit just seemed to go through too much discomfort during the healing process to justify, soley on the basis of cosmetic preferences.JMO
texas pit stop

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:42 pm

His/her eyes will most likely become darker and no longer be blue as s/he ages.

I couldn't reccomend a style of crop on a pup that small/young - How old is s/he?
JaquelineC

Postby jmann4 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:42 pm

Double post! just kidding.

I'm not sure why blue is such a fault. Personally I don't like the color sooooo, on to the crops.

From the picture your dog has great ears and I wouldn't crop them. It's rare to find a good set of ears these days so I like to see those natural ears when they are set right.

But as you said, you're set on cropping the ears, so I would go with a good show crop. Short crop, no, long crop, no, medium crop yes. Long is like a Boxer or Dob. Short is like a home job, medium is done by a professional who knows how to crop ears.

For the record, I'm not against ear cropping.
jmann4

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:44 pm

in this picture he is 6 weeks old
i haven't recieved him yet, the breeder im getting him from has been sending me pictures and updates as he's getting older.
im goin to be getting him in a few weeks.

i don't raelly watn to go too short of a crop, i want some ear to scratch behind :)
elizer

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:45 pm

jmann, ive seen ur videos, do u have any close up pictures of ur dogs of their crops?

ya medium crop sounds good..
elizer

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:46 pm

Just surf the net for pics of cropped dogs that you like, show the pics to the vet when you take him to be examined and make sure that they know exactly what you want.

I would reccomend and medium/short crop (Like Luna's - Not ears missing!) rather than a long (amstaff type) crop, as I think tall ears look silly on APBTs.
JaquelineC

Postby jmann4 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:47 pm

elizer wrote:jmann, ive seen ur videos, do u have any close up pictures of ur dogs of their crops?

ya medium crop sounds good..

no. Sorry.
jmann4

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:49 pm

ok thanks guys
:thumbsup:
elizer

Postby jmann4 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:50 pm

I'll be taking some pictures of my girls soon, if I get a quality head shot I'll let you know.
jmann4

Postby JaquelineC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:52 pm

Here's a close up of Luna's ears after her crop and a couple of other shots - She's about 16 weeks old in these pics:

Crops I like:

Odnarb's amstaff, Grant, has a perfect crop (IMO) - Maybe she'll post some pics for you.
JaquelineC

Postby elizer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:54 pm

k thanks a lot guys, ya i like that crop too.. i think thats how i will have it..
elizer

Postby Gatorpit » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:40 pm

Blue eyes are frowned upon because the genes that produce them are linked to deafness. This is mostly true of blue eyes on a white dog, or on a heavily pied dog. Australian shepherds are a perfect example of this trait.
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues