DOUBLE TPLO ADVICE

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
NYnative
Bully Ambassador

DOUBLE TPLO ADVICE

Postby NYnative » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:55 pm

Ok. Stormy just had her second TPLO surgery done on her other leg this Thrusday. Here is where I may need advice. I know to keep her quiet but the vet said that her bone in the knee was"less than optimal but still ok".
I am soooooo paranoid because this is the leg I need to be bullet proof.
The other leg was done 2 months ago, but since she has OCD in that hock we may or may not need to amputate in the future depending upon how much pain developes in the hock.
Other than kennel rest does anyone have any advice on supplements or maybe even some kind of therapy I can do with her. It is critical that this leg heal.
You know I love this dog since now she is worth 5000 dollars US.....LOL

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Just wanted to say good luck! We used to give our lab who had this done 3 times, glucosamine w/ chondoitin(sp) for help with arthritis. I also had someone say that bone meal can help heal bones, but I would do some research into that one. Good luck!

angus
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby angus » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:53 pm

Check out Nupro supplements, they make a joint support formula that helps to maintain the health and resiliency of connective tissues and restores the damaged cells of cartilage tissue.

http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:17 pm

Massage and tea touch has been said to be really beneficial in healing. Look up a naturopathic vet in your area they may be able to help you. If you can't find a dog one a horse naturopath might be able to help.

kara

NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby NYnative » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:58 am

thanks....yes I do have a holistic vet in the area....an hour away or so.
I appreciate the advice

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:39 am

There is a great ortho dog yahoo group with many people there who have gone through this. You may want to look into signing up for it.

I hope everything goes well. I wish I had advice for you beyond that. All I can offer is prayers and well wishes

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:08 am

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:37 pm

i've heard really good things about hydrotherapy for dogs post-orthopedic surgery. helps to build the muscles and strength back up without the strain and stress. it might be worth looking into. the stronger you can get and keep that good leg without putting excess wear and tear on it, the better things are going to be.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:47 pm

elegy wrote:i've heard really good things about hydrotherapy for dogs post-orthopedic surgery. helps to build the muscles and strength back up without the strain and stress. it might be worth looking into. the stronger you can get and keep that good leg without putting excess wear and tear on it, the better things are going to be.

Ditto on the hydrotherapy. They have a program here, and its really amazing stuff.

Without knowing whats wrong with the joint in the leg that needs to heal, I don't know what else to recommend.

NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby NYnative » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:22 am

Hydrotherapy is number one on my list.......I don't think we have anything like that though.

Thanks for the link Patch

Return to “Health Issues”