Seasonal / Grass Allergies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Itsapitty
Super Bully

Seasonal / Grass Allergies

Postby Itsapitty » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:23 pm

Now that it's finally starting to look like spring in New England, Olive is getting very itchy and getting little red bumps on the inside of her legs and on her tummy. I've got some natural spray stuff that's supposed to good for skin irritants and it does help, but some days it's getting bad and she gets very itchy. We had gone to the vet last year when it got infected and then she went on antibiotics, but he didn't do anything to help prevent them. Anyone have suggestions on how to manage this or products that can help?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:37 pm

You can get her allergy tested and use the same vaccine program they use for people, you can put her on anti-inflammatory medications or anti-histamines.

You can also try avoiding the grass that makes her itch, although that can be really tough to deprive your pup...

Talk to your vet again, tell them they didn't improve on antibiotics and that you'd like to try something different. You can also try to find a dermatologist in your area as well...

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:50 pm

Logan wears a t-shirt when he has to go play in the grass. His hives don't seem to bother him much and they come and go. If I keep him in a shirt ourside it seems to help alot since I think he is more allergic to the contact of the grass rather than the grass itself if that makes sense.

kara

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:42 pm

I use aloe vera gel on my dogs when they get itchy rashes. It's great because you keep it in the fridge and it is cool on their rash. It's also ok for the dogs to lick off.

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:58 pm

I used to use a product called derma-dream when Jada had problems with grass. I would just lay her on her back, rub it all over her tummy, and the rash/bumps would disappear! Luckily it was pesticides or chemicals they used on the grass where I lived. So no more of it!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:59 pm

I am completely against over medicating pets. Before you put him on any meds, PM me. My friend used to be a vet tech and she has gone into holistic medicine and gave me a lot of wonderful information about allergies and ways you can help curb the symptoms. Molly has allergies too and they are flaring up because of the season.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:05 pm

Deniselynn wrote:I am completely against over medicating pets. Before you put him on any meds, PM me. My friend used to be a vet tech and she has gone into holistic medicine and gave me a lot of wonderful information about allergies and ways you can help curb the symptoms. Molly has allergies too and they are flaring up because of the season.

Why not just post your experiences here...especially if you had success with them? I'm sure others would want to know too!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:24 pm

Why not just post your experiences here...especially if you had success with them? I'm sure others would want to know too!

I second that!

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:26 pm

Me three!

Georgia is having bad allergies right now....runny and goopy eyes, itchy, etc.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:51 am

Me four lol
Basil has had seasonal allergies which have never been bad enough for me to want to medicate him, but if there was some alternative relief it would be awsome to know about it.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:30 am

Well, I've told about this a couple times, but I cannot tell how happy I am using the natural cortisone for Vicki. SHe has SEVERE seasonal allergies, and needs something stronger than the more common natural alternatives (though they do help in conjunction with the natural cortisone and some days I can even skip giving her one). This is my second season using it, and it works just as well as predisone with none of the harmful side effects. The nutritionalist I use for the dogs tells me it's safe to use during allergy season, and she has clients that have used it daily for years with no organ damage or other side effects. You have to get it through the vet...my vet orders it and keeps it on hand for me. It's a lifesaver!
Some other things you can try that are non-toxic and gentle are MSM...up to 500 mg twice per day is a theraputic dose. It takes up to 21 days to see a difference. Salmon (or other fish body oil) up to the point of soft stool can be used, it has anti-inflammatory properties. This in conjunction with vitamin C and msm often gives relief. Dr. Pitcairn states that vitamin C can be given up to the point of soft stool (I was able to give up to 1,000 mg before any diarrhea started) as an antihistimine. Yucca extract is also purported to have anti inflammatory properties.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:06 pm

Would the dosages of MSM and vit. C be the same as is used for joint support? Would the addition of glucosamine have any effect on the MSM and vit. C's use for allergies?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:34 pm

pitgrrl wrote:Would the dosages of MSM and vit. C be the same as is used for joint support? Would the addition of glucosamine have any effect on the MSM and vit. C's use for allergies?

I know that the dosage of MSM I gave Pookie for joint support was much lower than the dosage I gave Vicki for her allergies (it depends of the severity of the allergies also). Not sure though, the effect (if any) it would have on the glucosamine.

Return to “Health Issues”