Dog Food help

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog Food help

Postby deltron » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:24 pm

I feed my dogs this food

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdoglamb.asp

Is this considered a good product? Is there something better?
deltron

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:52 pm

Deltron,
If you can find either Wellness or Canidae your dogs will do better. Nutro is a very old formula with not a lot going for it. They have tried to catch up with the changing trends in pet food with their Ultra line but missed the mark.

They use a lot of grain fractions, the rice flour, bran and gluten. Which means in reality you are feeding your dog rice. They break it down so they don't have to put rice first on the list. Sunflower oil has been proven to cause problems with itching and skin issues. Poulty fat is unspecified, it can be ANY kind of bird fat.......not a good thing. Natural flavors??? I have asked and no one has ever given a credible answer. Beet pulp, good for tootsie roll stools, also means dry stools and that's hard on the colon. The only positive.........they FINALLY took the corn gluten meal out, I can't count the arguments I had with reps about that since they CLAIMED the food had no corn in it.

Ingredients

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Rice Gluten, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Salt,
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby deltron » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:56 pm

thank you very much! I will start to incorporate the new food immediatly!
deltron

Postby barbponys » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:56 pm

You are more than welcome :).
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby DamnWRX » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:42 am

:bowdown: Is there anything wrong w/ the product 'IAMS' puppy food?
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby barbponys » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:29 pm

WRX,
There is so much wrong with Iams the post would be way too long. Stay a way from Iams, Eukanuba, Nutro, Science Diet........pretty much any name you recognize is going to be a waste of money.

I'll say this, Iams/Euk is owned by Proctor and Gamble. What could they POSSIBLY know about pet food. They used to be a family owned company and were bought out by corporate 7 or so years ago. Run very fast away from them.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:25 pm

i feed my old dog nuto. he loves it. hes fur is really soft due to the food. i had a golden retrever that used to eat it and she lived to 14 years old (most goldens don't live that long) my vet recomended the food to us when she was young and i now feed it to my 11 year old lab and he acts like he's only 1
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby Bosses Dad » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:59 am

What is wrong with Science Diet? My vet said it was a good food. Did they comeout with a new test on it or something?
Also is Pet Botanicals any good?
Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ILLMATIK » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:16 am

I feed my dog Perfomatrin dog food, is there anything wrong with that or is it good or is there anyone you guys recomend, one that is top of the line
ILLMATIK

Postby pitbulliest » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:38 pm

Good brands:
Wellness
Wysong
Old Mother Hubbard
Solid Gold
Eagle Pack
Canidae (its ok but not as good as the others)
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby abman » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:42 pm

Iams is horrible and eukanuba is way over priced.

Ive seen dogs do very well on nutro. The ultra food that they came out with looks pretty good except for 1 or 2 ingredients.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby barbponys » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:07 pm

My top 9 foods. The top two can be a bit hard to find but are worth the search.
Timberwolf Organics
Nature's Variety Prairie
Wellness
Wysong
Natural Balance
Canidae
Evolve
Simply Natural
Canine Caviar

Performatrin reads ok. It's not great. Very heavy in grain and the sunflower oil could be a bit of a problem. If your dog/s do well on it great.

Science Diet:
Where do I begin. Vets, this isn't a slam on them just fact. They are just like human drs. They know very little about nutrition and what makes a food good. They have to take nutrition to graduate, the catch is, the classes are put on by Science Diet. That's a known fact. They know anatomy and physiology, surgery and diagnosis. My vet is the first to admit he knows nothing about food. There are vets out there that do, and I applaud them for taking the time to study, but for the most part.......
30 years ago it was a good food, sorta. They were top of the heap and if you look at the ingredients now they haven't changed much. Makes me wonder what ever made them so good, the rest of what was available must have sucked eggs. They use a ton of by-products, no real meat to be found, every grain fraction in the book, 3 or 4 chemical preservatives, and to top it off they charge an arm and a leg for poop food.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby mnp13 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:40 pm

Ruby had a gorgeous coat and no dog breath at all on Royal Canin Natural Select. I switched to Canadae and her coat is still beautiful, but her breath smells like something died about a week ago.

Anyone else have this happen?

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Laurier » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:40 am

I just switched both my dogs over to Timberwolf (thanks pat) they've only been on it for 4 days (I switched them cold turkey) and so far so good, they like it and they've had no loose stools from the switch.

Buster is on the Black Forest formula, and Lola is on the Ocean Blue formula. I had to drive an hour to find the Ocean Blue since its a new formula, but if it works for Lola then its well worth the driving time and extra $.
Laurier

Postby texas pit stop » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:00 am

I switched McDooser to Natural Balance about 10 days ago.At first he didnt care for it but he has begun eating again like his old self for the last couple of days.NO bad breath, good firm stools,so far so good.
texas pit stop

Next

Return to Health Issues