Dog Food help

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby kbreese » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:19 pm

Addy1423 wrote:So whats so bad about Sciense Diet?

I forget all the reasons off hand, but trust me, its not a very good dog food. You'll find tons of info about this online if you look.
kbreese

Postby Addy1423 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:27 pm

but nutro is a better alternative?
Addy1423
Matured Bully

Postby kbreese » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:52 pm

In my opinion, definitely. Not the regular Nutro, but Nutro Natural Choice. I have personally had fantastic results with it, meaning very shiny soft coat, very white teeth, low odor, good energy and muscle tone, no health problems etc etc. I have also heard from a lot of other people who have the same results. if you are willing to pay more, on paper Timberwolf is a better food, mostly b/c it has a higher % of meat protein (compared to pretty much any other kibble out there) I am giving that a try when I run out of my current food. But if you are on a budget and only want to get what you can get locally, I don't think you can really go wrong with Nutro natural Choice.
kbreese

Postby Addy1423 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:19 pm

Well thanks for the advise we will be making a food swap in no time and the nutro is cheaper then what were buying now an definate plus :thumbsup:
Thank You
Addy1423
Matured Bully

Postby kbreese » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:37 pm

What are you buying now?
kbreese

Postby pitbulliest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:25 pm

You guys... I was really curious..but is there any proof besides PETAs, that IAMS is performing these cruel tests? I know for 100 percent that its true without a doubt..just knowing IAMS..pshh..but still..I'll go to other forums and people will ask me to give them proof..and well, I honestly don't have any besides PETAs..and an occassional opinionated site here and there..

And second of all, can someone please give me a nutritional analysis that they may have on IAMS...and why its really bad for your dog (which I also know..trust me lol)..

I'd just like to have these on hand in case another shmuck decides to tell me that IAMS is the best thing that's ever happened for their dog (yeah right!..poor dog)
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:44 pm

http://www.iams.com/en_US/jhtmls/product/sw_HighLevelProduct_page.jhtml?li=en_US&bc=I&pti=PH&sc=D&lsc=&bsc=

Thats a link to their product website with all the Nutritional info etc.

I think the main, er *beef* is that they use corn as one of the main ingredients.

I had Kirby on Iams for a month, and his skin went to hell in a handbasket. Flakey, itchy, dull coat.....

So I switched to Diamond puppy because it had a higher protein and fat content, and omega 3/6 FA's I compared all the top brands, except canidae and Timberwolf. What I forgot to do was look at the ingredients carefully on Diamond. Diamond is also high in corn. So I'm switching to wellness.

I've also got the beasties on Lipoderm. As an aside, my skinny-assed black cat Pookie LOVES the diamond puppy chow. :huh?:
She eats, but she really couldn't care less about the food. She sneaks into the pantry and into the bag of Diamond. She got locked in there yesterday. Who knew? I'm gonna supplement her diet with that. Maybe I'll try the Diamond cat food...... for her only. The other two cats are lardasses.
Hopefully I'll see an improvement in Kirby's skin soon!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby damienApbt » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:35 pm

pitbulliest wrote:And second of all, can someone please give me a nutritional analysis that they may have on IAMS...and why its really bad for your dog (which I also know..trust me lol)..

check out this thread for iams.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5766

as far as science diet its not very good at all. has lots of fillers. by fillers i mean cheap things that dogs dont need that can "fill" up a bag. like corn and any other starch that says "brewers" like rice. SD, has "by-products" as its top ingredient. basically any part of the animal that isnt meat. then has at least 3 starches after that. but the killer is corn, especially corn gluten. dogs bodies dont benefit from corn too much at all. and gluten makes things harder to digest.

also beet pulp is basicaly an attractive way to say added sugar. which just adds to it palletability. dogs dont need that at all. any added sugar is hazardous to your dog, could cause diabetes and other probs. it also has added salt..which is completely unessasarry (another way to try and make it taste better at the expense of the dog's health)

and notice added "flavor". god only knows what that is. it seems that SD's food is so shtty that they feel the need to add so much crap to make it taste better. oh and soy.. is no good either.

sd from the looks of it may even be worse than iams. sheesh thats such crap.

you can find the list of ingredients here in alphebetical order.
http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht4r-z.html
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Addy1423 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:56 pm

What are you buying now?

Right now we are buying Sciense Diet's "Natures Best"
Addy1423
Matured Bully

Postby damienApbt » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:16 am

wow my post sounded harsh... i didnt mean it that way. i just read the ingredients for the first time and was typing the post as i read it. i offended myself reading that post. lol
damienApbt
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues