Vets make you feel guilty?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Vets make you feel guilty?

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:44 pm

Has your vet ever guilted you into doing something you didn't want to do?

I took my rat into the vet the other day for a check up because I am getting him nuetered. I dont have much money, and I didnt even feel it was nessecary to have the physical first. Anyway, she spent 6 minutes with him, and told me I should do a fecal. There was no reason to do it, but she said, "it's only 25 dollars and its highly recommended". I said I did not want to do it, and she just said "Oh.... well.. I see..." So, after feeling like crap, I said OK lets do it.

So, she spent 6 minutes with him- felt him, marked down his weight/heartbeat and then sent me out the door. With the fecal exam it came to 75 dollars (ridiculous) and I got a phonecall 2 hours later to tell me his fecal was clear.

Have you ever been guilted into doing something for your dog that you didnt feel like you had to do? Would you change vets?

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:09 pm

My old vet totally guilted me into putting the dogs on Sentinel, a heartworm prevention pill, and wouldn't discuss possible side effects or alternatives with me. It ended up causing Streets to have focal seizures. You can imagine how fast I changed vets after that.......

angus
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby angus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:38 pm

My vet hasnt really guilted me into anything but they have done procedures without my prior consent. I brought my ferret in for a tumor on his neck and the next thing you know hes swabbing his ears with q-tips. After he sends the q-tips in the back with the nurse I asked him what that was for and he says hes checking for ear mites. I told him I didnt want that procedure cause he doesnt have mites. I only want to know about the tumor. He said OK I wont charge you for it. Damn straight I aint payin for it. lol. Then another time Angus was there for a bump on his skin and the next thing ya know they are doing a fecal test. I didnt ask for that either. A few months later I get a card in the mail saying he was due for his fecal test. lol. They are making a fortune off fecal tests and I think they just raised the price to $40.00. They must do this to everyone. I wish I could change but they are very good vets, they have convenient hours and they are very close to my house.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 pm

My vet did a fecal test on my chihuahua puppy, and confirmed that he had roundworms. Which I already knew, because he was shedding them because he was on Revolution.

Then the vet gave him wormer, and suggested another fecal after that to "make sure we got them all". They usually worm them two or three times anyway, before checking...

The vet confirmed that revolution gets rid of roundworms, so why did he need more meds? Urgh. I wish my brain worked right in social situations like that!

rutibegga
Super Bully

Postby rutibegga » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:09 pm

angus wrote: They are making a fortune off fecal tests and I think they just raised the price to $40.00.

Heh. I once worked for a large veterinary corporation, and I can confirm that, indeed, they <i>are</i> making a fortune off fecal tests. We actually had a quota we had to maintain or we didn't get bonuses. Ridiculous.

Where I work now, this is not the case. But then again, it's not corporate and the doctors care about more than the almighty buck.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:11 pm

We actually had a quota we had to maintain or we didn't get bonuses.

Doing what's best for the pets, huh? lol

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Linariel wrote:My vet did a fecal test on my chihuahua puppy, and confirmed that he had roundworms. Which I already knew, because he was shedding them because he was on Revolution.

Then the vet gave him wormer, and suggested another fecal after that to "make sure we got them all". They usually worm them two or three times anyway, before checking...

The vet confirmed that revolution gets rid of roundworms, so why did he need more meds? Urgh. I wish my brain worked right in social situations like that!

There must have been some confusion. Revolution only protects CATS against roundworms not dogs. Good thing your vet dewormed your puppy.

I've worked at a few animal hospitals and have never had any type of quota.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Linariel wrote:My vet did a fecal test on my chihuahua puppy, and confirmed that he had roundworms. Which I already knew, because he was shedding them because he was on Revolution.

He gave you more meds because Revolution only gets rid of roundworms (and hookworms) in cats. :)

NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby NYnative » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:40 pm

I am so fortunate to have the best vets I ever had in my life....they know I try and educate myself on alot of things and never ever pressure me to do anything. We discuss treatments and they don't treat me like an idiot.

I also changed my vaccination protocol and the only concern my vet had was in case someone got bit by one of my dogs. Other than that it's fantastic. I love going there and for some reason Lucy is their favorite and she has to visit everyone before I can leave. :thumbsup:

PitBullPride

Postby PitBullPride » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:46 pm

I work for a vet. Where I am, we just do our best to reccomend to clients what is best for their dog, in whatever situation they are in. I do know what you guys are talking about though. Although, I've never heard of meeting any kind of quota. We educate, but we don't push people. We don't want to scare people off. That's how it is where I'm at anyway.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:29 pm

rutibegga wrote:We actually had a quota we had to maintain or we didn't get bonuses. Ridiculous.

i worked for one of them too. fecals and dentals. whee.

checking stool samples *is* important, though. especially in puppies.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:30 pm

Thankfully, my vet doesn't guilt me into anything. I work for him, so he usually asks my opinion first. lol

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:38 pm

Since I deal with this everyday let me pose this to everyone...

I'm sure like anything else there are some unscrupulous vets out there but I've really never seen or heard any of my vets talk money.

That being said lets take Angus's situation for example... lets assume the vet was swabbing the ears not because they were already spotless but because they had some type of debris. Maybe it was just waxy build up or maybe it was the start of an ear infection or mites. So if the vet had disregarded the ear debris and a week or two later the dog started scratching his ears the owner would call and the vet would tell them to make an apt. to have it checked out. At which point most owners will be upset - why didn't you catch it the other day? Why should I have to pay for an exam, I was just there... yada yada yada

Somethings that clients see as vets trying to juice them is really us trying to be proactive and thorough.

I wouldn't let anyone talk me into doing something I didn't want to do but I would think carefully about why they want to do it.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:13 pm

It's hard with vets sometimes. I just brought my old girl in to get a check up because i wanted to switch her incontinence meds since they weren't working. I found out that last september when she had dental surgery and a biopsy for a tumor that they didn't do any blood work, I was a little dissappointed since I thought that it should've been done on a 14 yo dog that had virtually never been to the vet who was obese had major teeth infection and a tumor...but they didn't. Now we have to go back and get it done to change meds when it wasn't even done in the first place when we started her one meds.

But on a side note I brought my pittie in to weigh him. he had his muzzle on and the vet=assistant asks me if he eats rocks or garbage...? I was like, what? She's like "I figured he has a muzzle on because he gets into garbage or likes to chew rocks, it's pretty common in his breed" OMG, I almost laughed, I told her he had a muzzle on to make people feel safer and she thought that was silly. So a good thing I guess, shows that the staff there are really not prejudice against big bullies.

PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby PineysMom » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:42 pm

My last dog's vet was a TERRIBLE vet. First of all, OK, Malik wasn't neutered, but that was because I was a super-responsible owner and he was NEVER EVER off leash and he was extremely calm, submissive and reasonable. Just a dreamboat of a dog. So I never saw any reason to do it. Every time I walked in there with him they yelled at me about fixing him. I told them there was no chance he'd knock anyone up, and I knew about the risk of testicular cancer (which he never got) but I believed he was fine and healthy the way he was, and his immune system was probably stronger than a fixed dog's.

I excused that, though, because I am very rescue-oriented and I get where they were coming from.

But then when he turned seven they pressured me to get a "geriatric screening" that was basically the same blood tests and fecal screens I would ask for for his annual exam or if he were feeling sick. When I said I didn't want to cough up $65 for something unnecessary they tried to guilt me into getting the tests, saying it was for his good and didn't I want him to be healthy? They wouldn't let up about it.

After they pressured me three or four times about this, I switched to a great vet who took wonderful care of Malik till his dying day five and half years later (they also euthanized him).

I'm really happy we've found Piney an amazing vet in Brooklyn. Actually it's a husband-and-wife team where he does Western medicine and she does Eastern medicine. It's a great combination and they've treated my little weak-immune-system-having puppy extremely well. They are also extremely pit-friendly. I highly recommend them. Danny Leiman and Barbara Eisner in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Return to “Health Issues”