Vets make you feel guilty?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:08 pm

I wouldn't let a vet pressure me into anything I didn't want to do, but I do deliberately choose a vet based partly on their willingness to treat me like an intelligent adult in discussing my pets' care.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:05 am

I've had vets in the past say things like "So when do you want to bring her in for her spay?" I appreciate the effort and the goal, but not the presumption.

In general, though, I've been pretty lucky. I think most vets understand that people have to live within their means. I've spent $300 on Loki before, to clear up an ugly reaction to what was evidently a wasp sting. But I wont pay extra for things I can do myself, or things that I consider unnecessary. If I'm going to have money for the big stuff, I can't keep pumping it out on fluff.

TessieLou

Postby TessieLou » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:24 am

and I can confirm that, indeed, they are making a fortune off fecal tests.

I wouldn't say that ALL vets are delibrately screwing people over & making a fortune off of fecals. I'm a vet tech at the largest clinic in my city. We DO encourage fecal exams b/c most people who come in have never had one done on their animal. However, our main goal is education, not fizzle people out of their money. And btw, a fecal done at our clinic is only $8 & if that's all you want done, there is no exam fee. We rarely charge exam fees--basically only if the dog needs an actual physical exam for like hip probs, knee probs, lumps & bumps, etc.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks for all your stories and thoughts. I guess I just sort of feel like this vet is ripping me off. I understand wanting to do a pre-surgery check up, but to charge upward 50 dollars to take his heartbeat, weigh him, and feel him over once just seems ridiculous. It was literally a 6 minute look over- and then to be pressured into getting a fecal on top of it just sort of sucks. I guess I need to put my foot down sometimes..

Oh this is sort of a side- but do all vets have to carry science diet or something? Now a days when I see it in stacks in vet offices it kind of makes me a little sick..

ickysticky74
Newborn Bully

Postby ickysticky74 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:08 pm

Funny this topic is on the forum. I was just talking to my girlfriend about this. I am getting my pup fixed so to save money I got the FOA Certificate for $75. With that certificate you are limited to were you can go. So this vet that I am going to, I had to go in to get second Distemper/Parvo shot so yes they did a parasite screen 14.50. So with her shots and heart worm pills it was a total of 110. She looked at my dog for about 5 minutes then took her in the back and gave her shots. So they scheduled the pre surgery check up that was another $95. They said she needed to be checked for heartworm, Lymes and Ehrlica that was $29 of course she was fine. So now I have to go on 5/15 to get her fixed they said that there is a $35 dollar charge for her being over 50 pounds. Then if she is in heat another $40 she will be 6 months then so she might be in heat. Then the thing that got me was they tried selling me bloodwork to ensure the health of my pet proior to anesthesia for $42. Then a flouride treatment for her teeth for $5. Oh and last but not least Oravet Dental Sealants for $35. Well I am not doing anything of these things but what I have to get her fixed. They just seem real pushy there and like a cheesy car salesmen. So after she gets fixed I am going to shop around.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:38 pm

you know, it's kinda funny because during my last visit to my vet, i never felt like the vet was pushing anything but the new vet tech working there was.

just weird things, like vaccinations that i don't give my dogs for example. my vet knows me and knows what the procedure is but before the vet came into the room the tech was pressuring me into vaccinating for a bunch of things that i don't do--for example, reba's 14 and no longer gets a 3-in-1 parvo/distemper booster or lepto . . . but boy was she trying to push them on me that day.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:41 pm

He gave you more meds because Revolution only gets rid of roundworms (and hookworms) in cats.

I'm confused, because he was shedding roundworms that day, when he got the Revolution. I mentioned that to the vet, and he said "Oh yeah, the Revolution usually knocks them out."

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:46 am

I love the vets I go to, its a hospital with 4 different vets, so lots of consulting goes on since they all have their strengths.

My 'regular' vet is great, never pushes me to spay Jada. He LOVES her, gets down on the floor with her, talks to me about possibilities, treatments, options. All of the vets do. I also board Jada there when I go out of town, I like knowing that if ANYTHING were to happen to her, she is right there, and Dr. F knows how I want her treated. Not to mention that the vet techs are in LOVE with her, and they take her out of the kennel and play with her ALL day!

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:57 am

I really like the vets that see our dogs & cats (there are two). I never really was made to feel guilty by them. Although they tried to talk us into neutering Kato there for alot more $$, but I told them I got a better deal through friends of animals. There were no hidden extras at all. just 60 bucks.

Jaydee had to go to the vet the other day because she has an ear infection. The vet commented when examining Jaydee how we have such good dogs. :thumbsup:

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:17 am

I hate the "upsell" that some vets try to do. I know what my dogs need and don't need...

I don't mind if they give some recommendations but if they push it or try to make me feel like I'm not doing right by my dog I'm pissed! My vet isn't like that... he lists what the dog needs right then and there, and shows you the total price so you aren't shocked!

REACTiON
Adolescent Bully

Postby REACTiON » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:02 am

my vet is really good with kia and i. he doesnt care about the money but he cares about the dog. when its time for the shots he gives it to us for half off because the prices if just to high. he usually gives us free dog food/heart guard. now thats what you call a vet :P ...

bluepitbulls13

Postby bluepitbulls13 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:26 am

REACTiON wrote:my vet is really good with kia and i. he doesnt care about the money but he cares about the dog. when its time for the shots he gives it to us for half off because the prices if just to high. he usually gives us free dog food/heart guard. now thats what you call a vet :P ...

Reaction Howzit , What vet do you go to ? Is it the one That looks like Santos Claus ??? shoots ...

mistee06
Matured Bully

Postby mistee06 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:38 am

i love mistee's old vet. and will always use him with any new dogs i get (or cats if that ever happens). him and his staff are amazing. from the moment i met them, they were welcoming and loved mistee. no one was more excited to see her then his vet techs (they had stitched her up a few times before i owned her...also aborted the pups she was prego with when we got her and spayed her at same time)....when mistee got sick the weekend of the superbowl i phoned him on saturday (his wife had just had their baby that morning :oops: ) but he told me to bring her in on monday, since we had to go out of town for the day, we did so....he did an exam on her and phoned us saying he felt her stomach and it was rock solid :( and wanted to do an xray....he phoned us an hour later to say he though she had cancer... i was in home depot...not the best place to start bawling....he said it didnt look very good but he wanted to do a surgery to make sure because he refused to give up on such a great dog...the next morning we saw the xrays ourselves and said our goodbyes to mistee before her surgery(because he'd put her to sleep during surgery if it was cancer)....the saddest moment was when his vet tech came in and took her away...she started crying and i could hear the other girls in the back crying as well..... that afternoon he called and gave us the news that she had been sent to that wonderful place in the sky....

okay i know i got off topic...but after a week or so he called and asked us to come into the vet to have a chat with him.....i went alone and he explained to me about mistee's cancer and how even if he had tried to take everything out she wouldnt have lived the same quality of life. and that he had to inform me that he couldnt do it, they had to call in the other vet in town because of how much they loved her.he ended up not charging me for the surgery or the euthansia.

i know some vets are jerks and try to make you feel guilty....but there are tons of great vets like mine out there. and i'm sure those vets were great at some point in their lives...maybe they lost their passion?

i had another thing to say but of course i'm crying so i cant remember....hah...sorry maybe i'll try back later....

thegirlundertherainbow

That was a really sweet story

Postby thegirlundertherainbow » Tue May 02, 2006 10:58 am

I also was a vet tech and never heard of anyone having a quota at our clinics or others in the area.
I was possibly a little pushy with trying to get people to neuter..because I also did dog rescue and know how many dogs die and suffer every day because there are too many.
I pushed heartworm prevention because this is the South and it is a HUGE problem.
And, I pushed Distemper/Parvo/lepto/Corona because those are all prevelant here and we'd see dogs sick/dying from them..something that could've been prevented with a simple vaccine.
And while we sold Science Diet only (wonder when vets will ever get away from this food), if someone ASKED me "What's a good dog food?"..I'd list of a few, and direct them across the street to a pet store that sold ONLY premium foods.

Anguissette

Postby Anguissette » Fri May 05, 2006 12:37 am

My old vet was terrible about this. When Winston was just a pup his mom gave him a little harder than needed nip and his ear swelled up. We took him to the vet because we weren't really sure what to do about a big "pocket" of blood on his ear. The vet told us it would go down on its own, BUT we should have it surgically fixed so his ear would remain normal looking. I personally wasn't for putting a few month old puppy through an uneeded surgery. But, I called my mom since she was the one with the money at the time to get her take on things. I told her all the things things the vet had said, and she was with me, at first. Eventually the vet got on the phone, and he did his highly reccomended routine, and then she decided to go ahead and do it. It was kind of costly, and in the end his ear is still not normal. I don't really mind that his ear is a little off; to be honest I think it's cute, but I was really annoyed that the vet was trying to pressure me, and did pressure my mom into putting my very small pup under a knife.

This same vet also tried to push us to get all the puppies du claws removed. Honestly, I love Winston's extra toes (yes toes, he has six on each of his back feet). He pushed really hard for us to get them cut off all the pups though. He lost. Neither my mother and certainly not me were willing to let him cut them off. He sited awful foot pad injuries due to the nails digging into the dogs foot, and made up some truely gruesome examples of the toes catching on things. I mean, he was really trying to make us feel bad/scare us into doing this. It was insane. But, we didn't do it, and so we just have to keep those toe nails clipped like any other.

This same vet is also quite afraid of bully breeds. Once Winston had grown up a bit he wouldn't allow him into the office unless fairly heavily sedated and even then he didn't really examine my dog. He just looked at him from half way across the room. He pulled this lovely trick once, and after that we changed vets. There is a Mobile Vet in my mom's area, and she is amazing. She is just great with all the dogs. She played with them all for a few minutes when she first started coming by so they got used to her. Now they aren't stressed or scared at all when she comes by. She is really great.

Return to “Health Issues”