Ticks.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Ticks.

Postby Libby » Tue May 02, 2006 10:29 am

I DESPISE ticks. They are the only crawly critter that grosses me out. Anyway, today my Mom pulled the biggest tick I had ever seen out of her bed.*Shudders* :yucky: So, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the price range for Frontline and Advantage is.

I know they price by the size of the animal, so I would need enough for three small dogs, two medium dogs, and then one large dog.

I would really appreciate if you guys could tell me which is cheaper lol

This deffinitely needs to be taken care of ASAP, because not only do ticks carry diseases, they gross the heck out of me!!

Ket

okiegirl
Newborn Bully

Postby okiegirl » Tue May 02, 2006 10:38 am

No experience with Advantage...sorry.

You can get a 6-pack of the large size Frontline for ~$70. Shop around online - it's typically a lot cheaper than the vet's. I don't know your dog's weights, but you may be able to split one vial of the large dose up on the three small dogs, one vial between the two medium dogs, and one vial for the large dog. So basically you be looking at $70 every 2 months.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:48 am

I'm using Advantix right now, and my neighbor across the street uses Frontline. She finds dead ticks in her bed and crawling ticks on her dog (although that could be because her dogs coat is different)... so far this year, the only ticks I've found were on ME! I wish I could wear advantix... its really amazing stuff...

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue May 02, 2006 10:55 am

never found a tick on my dogs when using frontline plus..

yeah u could probably split the vials..other wise it would be liek

40-45 for large...
40ish for mediem
35 ishe for small
and about 30 for x-small..

and thats for 3 dosages..

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 02, 2006 10:57 am

As far as price goes, they're actually pretty similar, at least from the two websites I looked at. Call your vet as well, they'll usually give discounts if you buy for the entire season or multiple dogs. It may or may not be cheaper than the pet store. Some vets mark up their flea/tick meds more than others...

okiegirl
Newborn Bully

Postby okiegirl » Tue May 02, 2006 10:58 am

I haven't found crawling ticks on my dogs using Frontline Plus, but yeah, they do have to get on the dog to get the medicine, then they die and fall off... sometimes in the house :yucky:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:07 am

Her dogs coat is super thin, so thats probably why she sees them crawling and the rest of us dont. We also run our dogs in a field almost daily, so we see a LOT of ticks. I've found 3 on just me so far this spring, and she's found at least twice that many on her dog... but we don't run in the tall grass like the dogs do.

I chose Advantix for its mosquito repellent properties because we spend a lot of time near rivers and lakes where mosquitos are thick.

Here's a nice table comparing all the flea/tick control medications so you can make the best choice for your dog. Sometimes I like Advantix a little too much. :))

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/artic ... 76&aid=281

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue May 02, 2006 11:13 am

hmm i was told also by a few people to see which ones are safe around cats...
bc my cats lick... my dogs..dont ask me why tey do..

and i was told advantage is one of those..

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue May 02, 2006 11:14 am

meant to say advantix.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue May 02, 2006 11:18 am

K9 Advantix for Dogs
K9 Advantix, a relatively new innovation in flea and tick protection for dogs, combines imidacloprid plus permethrin for total once-a-month topical protection from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. In addition to killing flea larvae, K9 Advantix kills adult fleas before they can lay eggs, and stops them from biting within 5 minutes. K9 Advantix is also effective on ticks - repelling and killing up to 98.5% of them before they can attach. Mosquitoes are also no match for K9 Advantix; it repels and kills them before they can bite. This topical treatment, available for various sizes of dogs, is excellent for dogs who love to swim, and those who require frequent bathing - it resists water and can be effective up to six weeks. K9 Advantix is designed for dogs only, and SHOULD NEVER BE USED ON CATS.

i was told bc of things like that..bc it goes into the skin and coat..if a cat licks it it's just as bad if someone put it on a cat..

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Tue May 02, 2006 11:21 am

Don't even get me started on ticks!!! I found one in the shower this morning!!! 8(

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue May 02, 2006 11:22 am

ehh... i haven't found any yet..

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:38 am

If your cats associate (play with, sleep with, groom) with your dogs, DO NOT get Advantix... if they come into contact with it (no licking necessary) before it is absorbed it has caused cats to have siezures.

Thanks for bringing that up OlympianAB...

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue May 02, 2006 11:40 am

I have never seen any ticks, thank GOD (knock on wood)
I used to see them all the time down south on my dad's dog, they are so GROSS!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue May 02, 2006 11:43 am

You might consider (especially if you have multiple dogs!) Frontline in a bottle. We sell a 250ml spray bottle for a little under $30, which is a lot more product than the 3 pack of Frontline for around $32. The liquid does expire. It also is made in a 500ml size bottle. You can probably find these sizes online, I think JB Pet or Foster & Smith likely carries them.

They also sell special collars that are worn only when in tick-infested areas. You remove them when your pet is home or in the yard and then put them on while hiking, etc. I'm not sure of the name (it's either Preven-tick or Preventic or something like that?) or the chemicals used, though.

I hate ticks too (YUCK!), but fortunately here I don't see very many of them (compared to my home state, at least!), so I feel comfortable with my choice to be sparing with pesticides and other toxic products.

Return to “Health Issues”